Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2013 8:58:05 PM EDT
Now when I see these videos all I can think of is how hard it is going to be to get water out of ever nook in the gun. The lower receiver seems like it would need to be completely stripped and detail clean to hell and back. The upper is a little easier. The water can just drain out. I guess it is possible to have water get trapped between the barrel and the receiver where the barrel extension enters the receiver if it sat underwater long enough. How the hell do they make sure all water is out and not corroding things, especially in the lower?
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Blow it out with compressed air and then give it a spray of CLP.

Also, I doubt that any guns that are performing an immersion test are safe queens.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The lower will drain out the magwell and the trigger opening; you could spray it clean with a dry cleaning solvent, and then spray an oil all around the FCG; then wipe the excess away.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Air compressor GJ and CLP............don't sweat the small stuff buddy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2013 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It's an aluminum lower with nearly all the steel parts stainless or otherwise coated.

For short term it's prettymuch not an issue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
We (Army) air dried, field stripped wiped out, CLP'ed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 2:25:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Remove upper, spray lower liberally with WD40, let drip/dry. Upper gets a normal cleaning, maybe, or dried and oiled.

How do you clean your lower? Hot water followed by the above is fast, easy, and in many years has resulted in zero issues.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I just field stripped it and let it air dry. Worked just fine.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That pic is both awesome and wrong at the same time.  If this was GD it'd be begging for captions/photoshops.  

[moderator mode]Please note that this is not GD and captions/photoshops wouldn't be appropriate[/moderator mode]

Than move it to the GD so we can
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Why do you have your rifle in the bath tub?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He's giving it a bath...where's the bubbles?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread just went full AWESOME!!!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

In before the move ...

... but restraint is  f a d i n g   .   .   .

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In case they "came in through the bathroom window"....lol
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I guess it is possible to have water get trapped between the barrel and the receiver where the barrel extension enters the receiver if it sat underwater long enough.

Shoot it enough to get it hot, Problem solved!

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He is trying to sink the battleship and rubber ducky with the necessary firepower
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's giving it a bath...where's the bubbles?

It was sometime last year, might have been in the Block II thread, we were discussing whether or not a barrel with a round chambered would drain without pulling the charging handle back an inch to break the seal.  Trust me, it does drain, no pull of the charging handle is necessary.

I found a more scientific method after I submerged it, I just slowly filled the barrel and then turned it over a bowl and let the water drain.  Once it stopped I pulled the charging handle back but no more water came out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't forget to wash behind that AR's ears!
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't forget to wash behind that AR's ears!

It is no big deal.

Even for all-steel guns.

We use our guns all year, every week.  It snows, rains and such and they get soaked.  No worries.  I've had to turn a garden hose on a mud encased SAKO .375 H&H Magnum on the front lawn after an elk hunt, etc.

Water in liquid form is no big deal...Water in hard frost form can be a bear, and it can lock up a gun mech tight.

Pistols, too....

The AR is up to the task;

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#21]

no cookie??

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top