Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2013 9:53:53 AM EDT
What is y'all opinion on the best SPR barrel? I want 18" with a rifle length gas system. It also has to be able to shoot sub moa. So who has first hand experience with high end barrels like this. I'm shooting 75gr hand loads fwiw.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Krieger, Lothar Walther, Douglas, Satern, and WOA have all been proven to sub MOA with handloads.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Between BCM, noveske, and rainier arms ultramatch. Which one is the best and why? Anyone have groups to show with their barrels?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Noveske will be the most accurate. I have both, but am also VERY impressed with Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrels
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]
ANY quality barrel will be sub-MOA with match quality handloads.

The BCM is my favorite right now, and is in stock:  http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-18-SPR-SS410-Barrel-with-Rifle-Length-Gas-p/bcm-recbrl%2018ss.htm

It is 1:8 which I prefer.  It is 410 SS, and hand lapped.  Everyone I have ever seen shoots lights out.  It is also fairly affordable as far as match barrels go.

Noveske, CLE (Douglass), White Oak Armament, are all good options.  I own several BCM and WOA.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Noveske will be the most accurate.

That's kinda silly.  Every barrel is different.  You cannot say "what will be the most accurate" for his load among different match barrels, as there are MANY that have the same or similar potential.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Besides the BCM, are there any other quality SPR barrels in stock?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noveske will be the most accurate.

That's kinda silly.  Every barrel is different.  You cannot say "what will be the most accurate" for his load among different match barrels, as there are MANY that have the same or similar potential.

You're entitled to your opinion/position. After having shot BCM Match, Noveske and Rainier Ultramatch, the Noveskes have averaged better groups with both factory match ammo and handloads. Not trying to start a pissing match, just posting my observations. I would agree the margin of difference is slim.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
After a little more thought and digging, I think I have narrowed my choices down to Douglas or krieger by CLE or a noveske. Of these what's my best option for solid sub moa. I'm really looking for .5moa or better, the barrel I have now is .75-1 moa all day and I'm just not satisfied anymore. Also, for those of you with these barrels; how is the reliability when running suppressed? The barrel I have now will run like a champ for the first 50rds or so but then it starts to lock up. So I'm not only looking for more accuracy but also reliability when running suppessed. Anyone with first hand experience with these please chime in and tell me what you think and also what kind o groups you are getting with your respective barrels.
Thanks
Ryan
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Hard Blue Barrels

Call first. Get name on contact list. Wait for notification. Respond immediately. Have CC in hand. Be home to sign for delivery.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After a little more thought and digging, I think I have narrowed my choices down to Douglas or krieger by CLE or a noveske. Of these what's my best option for solid sub moa. I'm really looking for .5moa or better, the barrel I have now is .75-1 moa all day and I'm just not satisfied anymore. Also, for those of you with these barrels; how is the reliability when running suppressed? The barrel I have now will run like a champ for the first 50rds or so but then it starts to lock up. So I'm not only looking for more accuracy but also reliability when running suppessed. Anyone with first hand experience with these please chime in and tell me what you think and also what kind o groups you are getting with your respective barrels.
Thanks
Ryan

Call the companies..

But really.. all 3 of those barrels should shoot that.. if their not it's either A. Shooter, B. Ammo, C. Weather.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I just got off the phone with CLE and I ordered a Douglas barrel. I hope it's a good shooter!
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 5:04:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I just got off the phone with CLE and I ordered a Douglas barrel. I hope it's a good shooter!

Congrats!  Mind sharing the price?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks
Ryan

Call the companies..

But really.. all 3 of those barrels should shoot that.. if their not it's either A. Shooter, B. Ammo, C. Weather.

.5moa is really really tough.  Noveske will be at .6.  Douglas too.  Krieger can get you there if you are good.  I've tried with them all.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#15]
It was $390 for he barrel and gas block
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a cheap 20" Wilson bull barrel that came on a RRA upper.  With 77 SMK's and Varget I could average .5MOA across 5 shot groups.  

I had the opportunity to get a Krieger 20" barrel so I replaced it because I had name envy.  I have yet to find a load for the Krieger that matches what the Wilson would do.  My Krieger is averaging .6 to .7 with 77 SMK's and Varget.  Worse with 69's, and worse with other powders I have tired so far.  Have not tried 4895 or RE15 yet.

My point is, that every barrel is different.  There are no guarantees you will get a barrel that is consistently under .5MOA.... and ANY barrel with that goal, you will need to try several bullet and powder combinations, and consider weight sorted brass, match prepping brass, neck turning, concentric bullet seating, varying COAL, etc...

Averaging .75 MOA is relatively easy.  Each .1 MOA after that takes a lot of work, a lot of luck, or both, in my experiences.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I can only speak to the Ranier, but the Select, not the ultramatch.  I believe that Black Hole made it for Ranier.  Maybe mine is a fluke, maybe the day was special, maybe the stars, moon, and planets alligned just perfectly, but first time out, after break-in, I was shooting cloverleafs, and repeated them.  I personally like the poly rifling as well, the clean-up is quick and I believe they last longer as there are no sharp surfaces to lose their sharpness.  If money is no objsect though I don't know how you can go wrong with a Krieger, a Noveske, or a Hart.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top