BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 228
Posted: 4/13/2013 12:37:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
Let's see your guys M4 SOPMOD Clones, all are welcome here but this is mainly for the Block I and 1.5/PR clones.

Block I

Barrel:
14.5" M4 1/7 twist (M4 Profile or HB 'SOCOM' Profile)

Flash Hider:
Standard A2 or KAC NT4

Rail System:
KAC M4 RIS/RAS

Vertical grips
KAC

Rail panels:
KAC

Optics:
Aimpoint Comp M/M2 in Wilcox Mount
Trijicon ACOG TA01 NSN
Trijicon RX01

IR/Visible Lasers:
Insight PAQ-4
Insight AN/PEQ-2
Insight AN/PEQ-5 Visible Laser

Flashlight:
Surefire M951/M952

Rear sight:
MaTech

Buttstock:
Colt Fiberlite
Standard M4
SOPMOD

Block 1.5/Phase Replacement (PR)
Barrel:

Flash Hider:
Standard A2 or KAC NT4

Rail System:
KAC M4 RIS/RAS

Vertical grips:
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS03)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4
SOPMOD

Block II (borrowed from M4A1 SOPMOD Block II Thread)
Attachment Attached File

Barrel:

Flash Hider:
Standard A2, KAC NT4, Surefire SF4P (good luck purchasing!)

Rail System:
DD RIS II in dark earth

Vertical grips
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Front sight:
KAC flip up in tan

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS-3)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200
Surefire Scout M600

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4
SOPMOD

Now some reference pictures:

Here are mine!
(Top) M4 SOPMOD (Block 1)
(Middle) M4 SOPMOD (Phase Replacement)
(Bottom) M4 SOPMOD Block II
Attachment Attached File

Block I (M4 SOPMOD)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Phased Replacement (Block 1.5)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Block 1 Clone I built during Covid.

Nearly identical to the M4 I was issued while in the Marines minus the light and LMT Ergo grip, but I prefer the ergo grip to the standard A2 grip.

Everything is clone correct minus the lower being a PSA M4 and the RCO having a green chevron.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:41:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#3]
Been searching the web for photos of M4s in military service with RMRs mounted on the rears of ACOGs, but haven’t found anything. Was this optics setup used in the field? If so, what M4 block(s) would be correct?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vehemence:
Been searching the web for photos of M4s in military service with RMRs mounted on the rears of ACOGs, but haven’t found anything. Was this optics setup used in the field? If so, what M4 block(s) would be correct?
View Quote

Bottom of the previous page has some pics. Mostly Block I with TA01NSN’s and Docter sights.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 1:22:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#5]
Originally Posted By HD2006:

Bottom of the previous page has some pics. Mostly Block I with TA01NSN’s and Docter sights.
View Quote

I saw those, but haven’t seen any ACOG / RMR combos in use.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Been searching the web for photos of M4s in military service with RMRs mounted on the rears of ACOGs, but haven't found anything. Was this optics setup used in the field? If so, what M4 block(s) would be correct?
View Quote
Probably not the answer your looking for but the the only  ones your gonna find with RMRs, that I can think of, is the USMCs SDO. Obviously not SOPMOD, and originally intended for the saw, once those were removed they made its way to the 27 and then I've seen some make their way to so M4s. Definitely not common, but I've seen it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw a few Air Force SOF dudes of some variety with RMRs on TA31s in Iraq in 2017. I remember the optics more than the rifle since it was the first time I had seen RMRs in service. The Army use of RMRs I saw regularly were on pistols only.  I realize this doesn't help much, but they're out there in limited numbers at the very least.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Here’s a few I found
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Great catch! Forgot about the new version of the ecos
View Quote
Initially, the NSN, SU-style Ecos came out (to my knowledge and I own one) WITH a Docter on them; pictured (mine).

I also simply love the wings that appeared on some other .mil M4s (picture mine)

Mk18-ish SBRs by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Colt M4A1 by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 4:02:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#11]
Thanks for the photos folks. The setup I have is a TA31 with a RM06 (adjustable LED) so I realize it won’t be correct for any block (newer tech RMR w/older tech ACOG).

My dilemma, which almost-correct M4 I should put it on?

Block l, block 1.5 or block II? Noticed it on block IIs in the recent pics above (but with RM02s - mine’s an 06).

Knowing I won’t be truly correct regardless of which block M4 I put it on, which would be the least blasphemous?  l, 1.5 or II?

Thanks y’all - stupid shit like this will bug me for days. Hell, I just need to pick a rifle, sight it in and shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I just need to pick a rifle, sight it in and shoot it.
View Quote

This. Being that the M4A1 (Block 1/1.5 style) is issued en masse to most of the American military, an optic combination such as yours has likely shown up somewhere at sometime and/or is being used somewhere as we type. Don't overthink it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the photos folks. The setup I have is a TA31 with a RM06 (adjustable LED) so I realize it won’t be correct for any block (newer tech RMR w/older tech ACOG).

My dilemma, which almost-correct M4 I should put it on?

Block l, block 1.5 or block II? Noticed it on block IIs in the recent pics above (but with RM02s - mine’s an 06).

Knowing I won’t be truly correct regardless of which block M4 I put it on, which would be the least blasphemous?  l, 1.5 or II?

Thanks y’all - stupid shit like this will bug me for days. Hell, I just need to pick a rifle, sight it in and shoot it.
View Quote

I’ve got mine on a Block II FSP

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
It may be just me, but dots on ACOGs are fantastic - both aesthetically and functionally.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 2:28:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#15]
Right after I retired (08'), was back in Baghdad as a contractor.  We had JPoints piggyback on our TA01NSNs on block I's.

Attachment Attached File

One month after retiring.  Can't quit.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Not SOPMOD but when I left Lewis in 2016 we had just gotten the ECOS w/ tan RMRs to go with our updated M4A1s.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I ended up mounting it on my block 1.5 Mforgery and I kinda love it. Going to the range tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:14:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BePhreed:
I saw a few Air Force SOF dudes of some variety with RMRs on TA31s in Iraq in 2017. I remember the optics more than the rifle since it was the first time I had seen RMRs in service. The Army use of RMRs I saw regularly were on pistols only.  I realize this doesn't help much, but they're out there in limited numbers at the very least.
View Quote

Even security forces has rmrs on their ta31s.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
Initially, the NSN, SU-style Ecos came out (to my knowledge and I own one) WITH a Docter on them; pictured (mine).
View Quote

Initial NSN# SU237 TA01ECOS with tano Doctor.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
It may be just me, but dots on ACOGs are fantastic - both aesthetically and functionally.
View Quote

I agree, have them on all my Acog’s.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/5/2021 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Well Sir, what a nice display of beauty (and function) at the highest level!
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:36:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RichieRich562] [#22]

I can’t afford to look at this picture...
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Very nice collection.  For someone that has both, do you prefer the TA01 ECOS or the TA31 ECOS?  I have the TA31 version and typically tape off the fiber optic when I use it effectively making functionally like a TA01.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm gonna need a private moment with these.

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HD2006:

Very nice collection.  For someone that has both, do you prefer the TA01 ECOS or the TA31 ECOS?  I have the TA31 version and typically tape off the fiber optic when I use it effectively making functionally like a TA01.
View Quote

Thanks, It’s tough choice between them. I like the TA01Ecos for shooting groups at distance and the TA31Ecos for quicker shots on multiple targets at distance. I also cover about 2/3 of the fiber optic on bright sunny days. The TA01Ecos is better at low light/ nighttime the crosshairs are brighter, clearer and bigger if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 1:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RichieRich562] [#26]
Bump because pic thread
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#27]
This is how my M4 SOPMOD block 1 & MK18 Mod 0 clone started.
Wish I would have picked up a few more uppers back then!
Everything was "C" stamped, police/.MIL trade ins.

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#28]
merry crimmas, ya'll

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
merry crimmas, ya'll
https://i.postimg.cc/7YDYdPWt/1640479198438.jpg

View Quote

Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Could use some opinions.  Seems like i have a half PJ, half 1.5 build the more i look at it.  I want to go full 1.5.  Thinking of swapping out for a sopmod stock and ergo grip (if i have to, then put my a2 back on).  I also want to change my light.  Ive been thinking m3 or m3x, but is a scout kosher?  Maybe a TG vert grip over the KAC?  anything else i am missing or should change?

Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RichieRich562:
Could use some opinions.  Seems like i have a half PJ, half 1.5 build the more i look at it.  I want to go full 1.5.  Thinking of swapping out for a sopmod stock and ergo grip (if i have to, then put my a2 back on).  I also want to change my light.  Ive been thinking m3 or m3x, but is a scout kosher?  Maybe a TG vert grip over the KAC?  anything else i am missing or should change?

https://i.imgur.com/drnG9lY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/s1EwAxy.jpg?1
View Quote
Yeah that hot dog safety
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Looking to start an early (‘01-02) block 1 build. Anyone have pictures of the lowers used on these during this period? Looking to see what markings and serial range would be correct for an 80.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:41:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#33]
Originally Posted By g56:
Looking to start an early (‘01-02) block 1 build. Anyone have pictures of the lowers used on these during this period? Looking to see what markings and serial range would be correct for an 80.
View Quote

When we got our new M4A1s back in 95' in 5th SFGA they started at SN: W301XXX.  M4A1s were all Colts at the time.  Early KAC handguards would have been RIS and later the RAS was adopted (top screw near FSB on RIS, RAS the screw is near the Delta ring).  Flash hinder either A2 or KAC NT4 for KAC NT4 suppressor.  SOCOM barrels were just coming out in 00' so Govt Profile still kosher till shot out and replaced with SOCOM.  Stock would have been Colt N1.  Guns were all issued to Groups before the waffle stock was standard issue.  Some waffles would have made it in as replacements before the SOPMOD stock.  Optic ACOG TA01NSN, Aimpoint CompM2, ACOG Reflex with a KAC 300m BUIS.  KAC broomhandle VFG, PEQ-2 LAM and Surefire light (various models)

CD
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 6:41:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

When we got our new M4A1s back in 95' in 5th SFGA they started at SN: W301XXX.  M4A1s were all Colts at the time.  Early KAC handguards would have been RIS and later the RAS was adopted (top screw near FSB on RIS, RAS the screw is near the Delta ring).  Flash hinder either A2 or KAC NT4 for KAC NT4 suppressor.  SOCOM barrels were just coming out in 00' so Govt Profile still kosher till shot out and replaced with SOCOM.  Stock would have been Colt N1.  Guns were all issued to Groups before the waffle stock was standard issue.  Some waffles would have made it in as replacements before the SOPMOD stock.  Optic ACOG TA01NSN, Aimpoint CompM2, ACOG Reflex with a KAC 300m BUIS.  KAC broomhandle VFG, PEQ-2 LAM and Surefire light (various models)

CD
View Quote

Thanks for all the info! Exactly what I was looking for
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#35]
What’s the going rate for a P&S RAS these days? It has a few handling marks here and there but overall is in really good condition, has a mix of KAC and P&S panels and a KAC grip.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
What’s the going rate for a P&S RAS these days? It has a few handling marks here and there but overall is in really good condition, has a mix of KAC and P&S panels and a KAC grip.
View Quote

200-250

Just picked one up from a buddy and that was the price we agreed on after watching a few sell.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RotorWash109:

200-250

Just picked one up from a buddy and that was the price we agreed on after watching a few sell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RotorWash109:
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

200-250

Wow, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Pic thread

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DC-0:
Pic thread

https://i.imgur.com/5bLSdPZ.jpeg
View Quote

Holy cow.  That is SAF!  Then the Insight light, PEQ, and SU230 as a triple whammy to boot. This is exactly what I hope I can get my build to, eventually.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I know the optic isn't issued or clone approved...

" />
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Made a couple changes to go 1.5.  How'd I do?

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 7:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#43]
glitch
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Been seeing a lot of dbal i2s for sale lately in the ee and on local forums, which is intriguing me to explore nv.  Would these be acceptable alternatives?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Working on my block 1 clone and I was playing with the forward grip placement. I've found I prefer the grip mounted about midway on the KAC M4 RAS rather than all the way forward.

When I put it together I wanted to put rail panels on in front of and behind the grip.  The two rib fits in front fine but if I put a 2 rib behind it leaves a large gap and the 4 rib is too long to fit.

I know KAC doesn't make a 3 rib panel but I've seen a lot of pics in this thread with the grip where I have mine and what looks like a 2 rib in front of the grip and a "3 rib" behind.

Does everyone just cut down a rail panel to make a "3 rib"?

Also, would this be "correct" or was the grip mounted all the way forward with a 6 rib panel behind it the right set up?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Yorge9003:
Working on my block 1 clone and I was playing with the forward grip placement. I've found I prefer the grip mounted about midway on the KAC M4 RAS rather than all the way forward.

When I put it together I wanted to put rail panels on in front of and behind the grip.  The two rib fits in front fine but if I put a 2 rib behind it leaves a large gap and the 4 rib is too long to fit.

I know KAC doesn't make a 3 rib panel but I've seen a lot of pics in this thread with the grip where I have mine and what looks like a 2 rib in front of the grip and a "3 rib" behind.

Also, would this be "correct" or was the grip mounted all the way forward with a 6 rib panel behind it the right set up?

Thanks!
View Quote

I’ve wondered that myself, hope someone can tell us if a 3 rib is out there.

I needed a 1 rib KAC panel so I carefully cut and shaped a 2 rib into a 1 rib and put it in front of the forward grip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Thanks!
View Quote

I run mine with a two rib and a four rib behind the VFG.  I shave some material off the four rib so it all fits together.

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Thanks!
View Quote

here is how i placed mine with a little shaved off material from the rib panels to fit…
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:05:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FONTY] [#49]
I do the same as HD2006, shave the end of the 4 rib panel.
Attachment Attached File

You can also cut a section out of a full 11 rib panel. I installed 2 screws in the rear panel to wedge it in place against the vfg. The Kac & TG stubby have the same width footprint on the rail.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for all the replies and pics everyone!

I have a few extra 11 rib panels and I'm just going to cut one down to fit. The 2 rib fits in front perfectly so I'll just cut one 11 rib to fit behind.

When I think about it I'm sure cutting panels to fit was done by GIs as I've seen so many "custom" configurations while researching my block 1 build.

Thanks again all. Soon as I figure it out I'll post some pics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 228
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top