Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2013 11:03:15 AM EDT
On the fence about something.

I have another upper on order, and it is a 10.5" set up. My current stick is a nice 14.5" free float set up, an I dig this length of rifle.

I am sort of leaning to changing my upper order from the 10.5" to another 14.5", but just railing it differently, and using a different red dot.

I've never felt held back with this rifle, even in CQB stuff, and kind of think I am pigeon holing myself with the SBR.

I like the idea of two sort of the same, but different, but for training and competing purposes, they will feel similar when I pick them up.

Any input to this OCD?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#1]
For some reason; I build rifles as identical twins with sequential serial numbers.  I don't compete; but if you do - having two identical twins has to have its advantages. 1) backup weapon in case the primary fails during an event and  2) a weapon to tryout new gear on.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of any downsides to having two of the same or very similar rifles.

Here's my twin AR's, one is set up for close range shooting with 14.5" lightweight barrel and Aimpoint and the other is set up for longer ranges with a 16" government profile barrel and ACOG:

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say go with the 10.5 if all you have right now is the 14.5, for all you know you might fall in love with the 10.5 more than the 14.5
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Variety is the way I would go. Do you have to have an equivalent to a US tax stamp for a 10.5" in Canada? If you have one, then I don't know why you wouldn't go with the SBR.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Variety is the way I would go. Do you have to have an equivalent to a US tax stamp for a 10.5" in Canada? If you have one, then I don't know why you wouldn't go with the SBR.

I believe Canada doesn't even have restrictions on barrels shorter than 16inches
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
It is all personal preference and that pesky money thing
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
My rifles are set up so control and manipulation is pretty much the same. IMO, these things need to be the same and consistent. I'm a lefty so all of my rifles have ambi safeties, ambi charging handles, BAD levers, etc.. I've added and deleted things over the years so I've finally settled on a setup I'm happy, and reasonably competent with.  

Things like choice in optics, barrel type/length, trigger type, light/no light, etc., will vary according to intended purpose.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I just try to keep at least the ergonomics similar: same grips, stocks, sling mount points, sling type and position, white light position, BAD lever etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On the fence about something.

I have another upper on order, and it is a 10.5" set up. My current stick is a nice 14.5" free float set up, an I dig this length of rifle.

I am sort of leaning to changing my upper order from the 10.5" to another 14.5", but just railing it differently, and using a different red dot.

I've never felt held back with this rifle, even in CQB stuff, and kind of think I am pigeon holing myself with the SBR.

I like the idea of two sort of the same, but different, but for training and competing purposes, they will feel similar when I pick them up.

Any input to this OCD?

Thanks.

What is access to suppressors like in Canada?  

One of the things I like about the 10.5" barrel length is that with a full-size suppressor mounted, it is about the same overall length as a 14.5" barreled carbine, and therefore maneuvers very similarly, but with the added benefits of sound and flash suppression.  

The added benefit being that in even more cramped quarters, or situations that are better suited for it, you can always remove the suppressor and have an even shorter OAL.  For essentially no penalty, you have several options available to you while retaining muscle memory and unity of operation.  

Adding to that - I have multiple uppers in both 14.5" and 10.3" barrel lengths - however, I try as much as possible to retain the major control and operational functions consistent among them between barrel lengths.  I may change some minor details, but by and large, I try to keep the lights in the same general place, and more importantly, the controls for my accessories in the same place.  That way, any weapon I grab, however configured, will have the same functions available in the same locations, and it requires no "conversion" or "transition" between them.  

In your case, I would definitely go for the 10.5" upper as your second upper, and if possible, get a suppressor for it, and even while tailoring them for different, specialized purposes, attempt to preserve as much commonality between the two as possible while still serving their primary purpose.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
1.) Up here in Canada we do not have tax stamps.  The AR platform is "Restricted" no matter how long or short it is.  All barrels are considered the same, short being cheaper.  That's one thing we have over you guys in the US.

2.) Suppressors are for LE/Mil and certain licensed armorers, trainers, etc only  Sucks balls, but thats the way it is.

I am leaning towards keeping the 10.5.  This will give me two complete AR's (Both Spikes).  If not for the only reason for the variety.

My intention also is that in a few months the Canadian version of the Troy Defense Carbine - labelled the Northern Guard, will be released up here, and I will be picking one of those up in either 145. or 16.5.  This is the one I may try a variable powered scope on.

I guess in reality that upcoming purchase helps make the decision.

Appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I would get the 10.5.  I have quite a few AR's and they are all slightly different.  Every time I start a build I have a goal in mind for the rifle.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top