Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2013 6:59:16 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me the origin of this upper?  It has a small square stamped on the right side.

Thanks for looking!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s207/DrDyno/ARUpper_zps36cd93b2.jpg
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The square is a forge mark. There's no way to tell whose upper that is without some more markings.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Square forge mark is for Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises LLC.  They forge uppers for Rock River, Delton, BCM, CMMG, Fail Zero, CD Defense, and Colt.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
My PSA also has the square forge mark.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]
THANKS!  This forum has the most knowledgable AR guys, anywhere!

I'm looking to purchase this AR with a CMMG MOD4sa lower.  Current owner doesn't know whose upper it is.
Any suggestions on where to look for additional marks?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
THANKS!  This forum has the most knowledgable AR guys, anywhere!

I'm looking to purchase this AR with a CMMG MOD4sa lower.  Current owner doesn't know whose upper it is.
Any suggestions on where to look for additional marks?

check the barrel; usually on top between the FSB and the flash hider, sometimes under the handguards.
you should find the barrel mfg markings.

also check the left side of the bolt carrier and the bolt behind the lugs.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Frens & Osprey21... Many thanks for sharing your expertise!
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Are there T-marks on the flat top? Are they white? Might be some more clues. I have an AO Precision upper on one of my guns that has no T-marks and a square forge mark.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are there T-marks on the flat top? Are they white? Might be some more clues. I have an AO Precision upper on one of my guns that has no T-marks and a square forge mark.

I'm working off the owner's pics, as I have not yet seen the rifle in person.  I'll check all of the above when I visit the current owner.  Here's another Pic:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s207/DrDyno/AR-15LeftSide_zps1b99543b.jpg
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:16:38 AM EDT
[#10]
My Noveske upper has the square marking as well. There are no other markings at all on your upper?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#11]
There is no way to tell just based on the forge mark unless it's a Colt, FN, LMT, Armalite & maybe a few others who have the own mark next to the forge code.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top