Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2013 11:55:26 PM EDT
I can't imagine too many people own one of these considering the price, but then again some people pay $3000 for magpul lowers, so maybe $450 isn't that crazy. Anyways, I have been researching AR parts for a month now getting ready to build my .50 beowulf complete upper into a complete rifle and the AX556 billet lower receiver is the best one I have come across. The fact that its controls are all FULLY AMBI. and the sweet mag release/bolt catch feature is great. Now it is a bit more expensive than most lowers, even billet lowers, but if you consider that with another billet lower you would be buying a trigger guard, bolt catch lever and ambi mag release which would all end up costing more than $100, so the way I look at it, the stripped lower itself is only really $350 or so. With that in mind, am I crazy for thinking that the extra $100 or so over other billet lowers is more than worth it? The biggest reason is the fact that the ambi controls are all designed by the same person/group. Normally you have to buy a ambi mag release and ambi bolt catch lever from different places, and some dont even fit on the same lower. In fact, I simply love having a right handed bolt catch/release that ISNT a lever type like the Magpul BAD and Phase 5 lever. Also, when ordering the lower you can order a bad-ass ambi lever and get $20 off, however they don't offer the bad-cass lever which is apparently stronger. Is the Bad-cass so much better than the bad-ass that I should order it seperately? thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll let you know here in a few months. I ordered around end the end of January and tbey stated they are three months behind or a little more. It's a dead sexy lower and have always wanted one. If you like the lines and features go for it. They don't charge until it ships.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#2]
im gonna pull the trigger on it, them being only a few months behind is actually a short wait compared to some other places....
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
im gonna pull the trigger on it, them being only a few months behind is actually a short wait compared to some other places....

It's a few months + their already 3 month wait time. I'm still waiting for mine, but Abe is keeping us updated with the delays. Much better than most companies just throwing random wait times out or just being silent.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a few months + their already 3 month wait time. I'm still waiting for mine, but Abe is keeping us updated with the delays. Much better than most companies just throwing random wait times out or just being silent.

When did you order?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did you order?

October.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did you order?

October.

What was the last update Abe gave you?

Around 10 days ago he said a run of lowers were going to be sent to the anodizer soon. Also said many of the machine that made the lower parts had to be retooled. But they were planning on shipping stripped lowers with the parts to avoid any possible legislation.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]

I've been wanting to buy one for a while, they're super nice and I know they're worth the money. I would say they are on the same playing field as Mega.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What was the last update Abe gave you?

Around 10 days ago he said a run of lowers were going to be sent to the anodizer soon. Also said many of the machine that made the lower parts had to be retooled. But they were planning on shipping stripped lowers with the parts to avoid any possible legislation.

Ya that was the last update I got.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://axtsweapons.com/sites/default/files/product_images/1.jpg

I've been wanting to buy one for a while, they're super nice and I know they're worth the money. I would say they are on the same playing field as Mega.

To say they are on the same playing field as Mega wouldn't be fair..they are on a level of their own.  Depending on what you want then it may be worth it, it may not be.  I love mine and would buy it again in a heartbeat.  To answer a few questions the BAD-CASS vs. BAD-ASS is pretty much moot.  I've had both and have never had a problem with either.  BAD actually ran out of the short throw BAD-ASS selectors so when they shipped my lower they actually shipped it with the BAD-CASS short throw.  It's never offered anything extra for me over a standard BAD-ASS and with the CASS you actually don't currently have the option of all the different levers that the regular BAD-ASS has.

As far as price you are pretty much right...I wrote up a short build to compare costs for people who thought it was so insanely expensive:

Build 1:
AXTS AX556 $430
45* BAD-ASS - $65 ($20 discount when purchased with lower)
ALG Defense QMS Trigger Group - $45
Misc parts/springs/detents - $20

Total: $555

Build 2:
AR15.com “Ambi” lower - $275
Norgon ambi-catch - $80
DD LPK - $80
45* BAD-ASS - $85

Total: $520

But if you add a Magpul BAD ($30) lever so that it actually is ambi your total is $550
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd also look at the kac sr 15 lower, it has some really nice ambi controls
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Except the one that counts...the right side bolt lock
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except the one that counts...the right side bolt lock

Main reason I bought the AXTS. The ADAC F looks nice too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#13]
If ambi controls are a necessity, there aren't many better.

I never required ambi controls, so forged lowers work just as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#14]
They are very, very nice... If I needed a lower I would buy one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://axtsweapons.com/sites/default/files/product_images/1.jpg

i know looks dont really matter with an ar15, but i bet that would look good with a pmag in it.  the magwell looks like it matches right up.  very cool.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
So they don't charge till it ships?  Need to be sure I don't tie that kinda money up till I can have it in hand
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So they don't charge till it ships?  Need to be sure I don't tie that kinda money up till I can have it in hand

Correct
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top