Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2012 7:02:34 PM EDT
I just got my cmmg .22 upper yesterday in the mail.....

I want to replace the stock drop in carbine handguard  with a MOE Mid length, BUT since this is a .22 and doesnt have a gas tube, i want to remove the gas block/ front sight all together....

Does anyone make a clamp on barrel front stop for a drop in hand guard? I dont recall every  seeing this, but figured i would ask.

If I want to do this do i need to go with a free floating setup?

thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's my first build - it looks Dissipator'd or "Pistony"... just closed up the C5 guards over the existing round end cap and the lo-pro (no rail) gas block. What I did is take a round end cap, file-out the hole to slip over the flash hider (saving having to remove it) and then used extra bushing parts from a barrel-clamp rail unit I got for cheap from a auction web site to stabilize the barrel in the now enlarged opening. I then got a quad-railed barrel clamp from the same source and snugged it up to the end cap and hit it with the lok-tite. Good to go... this 16" is unfired but it's all solid - not flimsied-together for looks.

In trying for this setup, I did see an assortment of barrel clamps and some referred to as barrel bands - not all had rails, but all would work to hold an end cap on tight. You could even use an actual gas block. I did the rails to raise the front sight but still needed a riser block. Since then I've seen the same basic unit, but with one "wing/rail" already high enough to level sights on Upper and front end. I'd buy that one, but looks like this one is going to a show with me January 5th - I bet I get half-way to the ticket window before someone just throws money at me for it. And NO - I'm not the typical "skuzzball" out to gouge anyone (if that's what it's called in a free market) - I'm going to let them look it over and all I'll say is make your best offer. No way can I be called a bad guy. Probably put a Pmag in it or this H&K 30 rounder that is the odd-ball in my mag supply.

ANYWAYS - there are lots of options and it's good that the buying craze if for other things these days.

Best Wishes & Thanks for being with us here!  http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/AnDerTur/Unfold_zps982db2bc.jpghttp://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/AnDerTur/Fold_zps87cb2e12.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top