Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2012 7:47:33 AM EDT
Of these two which would you pick given the money is same: Rock River LAR15 Entry Tactical or the S&W M&P15 Sport.

Also, any other ARs that you would recommend for the first time buyer that would fall in the "today's" price range of up to $1,700

Thoughts on Windham Weaponry ARs

I've been trying to do my research and have read a bunch of things.  Any help is really appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Honestly, you are getting into ARs at a bad time with all the panic buyers.  My suggestion would be don't ver think this as guns are selling faster then you will find one.  I world personally go for teh S&W first but don't pass up a RRA if it's the only one you find at a local shop.

My ARs are all Bushmaster, Colt or RRA.  I have a few uppers that are other brands too and they all work just fine.

So if both were available to you, you would go for the S&W over the RRA.  Do you mind giving some detail as to why?  I'm just trying to make the best decision when spending my money.  Right now both are priced about the same.

Thanks for your input thus far.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
if you get a chance get a Delton Echo 316 i have one and its been flawless (+1000 rounds) its about $800 depending on where you buy it. its a superb gun and is dead accurate. plus this leaves room in the budget for a nice red dot or scope i recommend the Lucid HD7
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I would based it on if you can actually obtain it or you have to order it!  I go with the one you can buy and if two are available based on lowest price.  This is an extremely poor time to be buying ARs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd pick the S&W first if they were both sitting on the table in front of me. That said I'd have no problem buying a Rock River. Both are good builders. Its going to be small differences between all of the major makers. Here's a video where you can see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjq4uDLTsbY
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with the RRA if they're both the same price.  It has a few extras that are nice: 2-stage trigger, Hogue grip, side sling mount, forward assist

(Based on these links)

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=217

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786006_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Of these two which would you pick given the money is same: Rock River LAR15 Entry Tactical or the S&W M&P15 Sport.

Also, any other ARs that you would recommend for the first time buyer that would fall in the "today's" price range of up to $1,700

Thoughts on Windham Weaponry ARs

I've been trying to do my research and have read a bunch of things.  Any help is really appreciated.  Thanks.

If wanting a  standard carbine used for SD/LE etc.

Colt ,BCM,LMT, Noveske N4,Stag  + package , D.D.

Then the rest.

Stay away from OLY and HESSE or Vulan
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I honestly will be amazed if you can find a RockRiver right now for $1700.  They are going for $1800+ on gunbroker.  I would assume gun dealers are charging probably $2000+.  Bushmasters 90140 are going for $1800+

completed Rock River entry AR-15 auction

If you have to have one right now:

• be prepared to pay unless you are extremely lucky or someone doesn't know what they are selling

• look for a brand that will allow you to place an order directly from the them

• watch gun trading sites

• Go to gun shows and get there before they open and have cash

new AR-15's are rare but they can be found and will be worth a lot.  You could also try to build one but the hard part will be finding the lower.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Rock  River -- good enough for the DEA
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I've found S&W's customer support to be truly extraordinary.
Moon
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#13]
By the time you read all the responses here, the price will go up another 50%.

Get off your chair and get an AR.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#14]
If your looking for up to $1700.00 have you looked at the Hogan Hero?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I just came back from all the places that always have ar types in stock -Nothing did a quick scan of the normal places and nothing there either.  The auction sites are running 50 - 75% higher than the beginning of the month.  No product around.  This time they are serious about punishing law biding citizens.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately at this point if you see an ar, you'd better buy it.  I got lucky and got my RRA 2 weeks ago at a pretty decent price and then got a Daniel defense yesterday for the market price, but I stumbled on that one.   Gunbroker still has them but the prices are going up daily.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Sent you an IM... found a good price on a used one near me... good deal if he will ship it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#18]
dont worry about the manufacturer.  there are very little differences in quality across the board.  although there are a few manufacturers out there you should avoid, which was already mentioned, make this your priority:

1. features
2. price

in this case the RRA will be a better value than the S&W
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy something that is upgradable, personally, I am not a fan of the newer polymer lowers, I have seen a few break at the pivot pin area.

JS
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#20]
My first was SW 811000. Very happy with it. Solid as a rock. Put 1500 rds through it, fired it whit hot and cold - no misfeeds or fte's. Pretty darn accurate too - 1-2 inch moa today with the irons.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Get online and buy this one right now while its in stock.  One of the best firearms out there.  It will be MSRP but they are running on trader sites for $3000.  Its legit and a good company.  

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v2.html
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I am new here, and new to AR's. My passion is long range rifles. I did a lot of research since the election, and read opinions from several shooting school instructors and similarly experienced types, who commented that Colt rifles seemed to have less problems than other off-the-shelf AR's. My research suggested Colt is tier one, along with a few others like LMT, and Noveske.
I spoke with an armorer at Gunsite a few years ago about 1911's. The comment I got was that, again, Colt seemed to hold together better than other off-the-shelf 1911's.
For Christmas I got a Colt 6920. Colt seems to be the one everything else is compared to. It was purchased off Gunbroker.com, as there are no AR's to be found here locally. It should arrive about 2 days after major back surgery. I have been scrambling around the net and scratched up 786 rounds of M855 and 6 magazines. If all this ban stuff comes to pass, I'll have had only one chance to get one. I want it to be a good first choice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am new here, and new to AR's. My passion is long range rifles. I did a lot of research since the election, and read opinions from several shooting school instructors and similarly experienced types, who commented that Colt rifles seemed to have less problems than other off-the-shelf AR's. My research suggested Colt is tier one, along with a few others like LMT, and Noveske.
I spoke with an armorer at Gunsite a few years ago about 1911's. The comment I got was that, again, Colt seemed to hold together better than other off-the-shelf 1911's.
For Christmas I got a Colt 6920. Colt seems to be the one everything else is compared to. It was purchased off Gunbroker.com, as there are no AR's to be found here locally. It should arrive about 2 days after major back surgery. I have been scrambling around the net and scratched up 786 rounds of M855 and 6 magazines. If all this ban stuff comes to pass, I'll have had only one chance to get one. I want it to be a good first choice.

You got a good rifle for sure, but don't put much weight on the TIER 1 bullshit unless you are a Tier 1 operator.

There have been enough ar's made by other companies with good quality that the "colt fanboi" crap is just that.

Shoot it, enjoy it and never mind the fact that the colt was put together by the proud members of the United Auto Workers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Whichever one you can find for a good price. Might be a bad time to try and buy an AR though. Of course, waiting to see if prices improve might also be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Rock River LAR15 Entry Tactical with a detachable carry handle last night on gunbroker.com. I got it for $1,699.00 I know that I paid an inflatted price, but it didn't seem as bad as alot of others I looked at. Man, some people are crazy on what they are asking and getting for some ARs.

Anyways, I appreciate all the input and advice. It is greatly appreciated. Now it just needs to get here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Based on actual auction prices, I'd say:

there is only one brand in a new Tier One:  Larue

The new Tier Two:  Colt, LMT

Oddball:  Noveske.  It's really CMT, but the barrel makes up for just about anything.

I'd squeeze CMT in just below Noveske.  CMT is also S&W.

Then RRA/Bushmaster and others.

This is my opinion based on shooting all of these, and owning almost all of them.  It corresponds to the way the prices seem to be falling into place.

I have not done a scientific analysis of pricing, just a lot of watching.

But this is just my opinion!!!!  It was formed back when we had the luxury of trying and choosing.  Now we're just finding and buying.

I would certainly buy an RRA or a Smith, if those were my choices.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#27]
OP, just saw your choice.  I would say excellent.  That price is quite acceptable today.  A Colt would cost you at least an extra $500; that extra $500 will buy you several boxes of 20 rounds of ammo!

Good luck and congrats.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Two things...one-I love my RRA elite op 2.  Two- I'm sure glad I bought it when I did.  Yikes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top