Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2012 6:49:22 PM EDT
I bought this rifle used several years ago, shot it twice, and it's been a safe queen ever since.  I bought  a NM Rock River that I shoot instead.  A friend wants to buy it, but I have no idea what the value is.  Gun broker has them in the $1200-$1600 range, but I don't know if that's a crazy price or not. The serial number is MH 016XXX, and I believe it is a pre-ban as it has a bayo lug and flash hider.
The rifle came from a fellow club member that passed away.  A dealer who is also a club member sold them for the widow.  Supposedly, it wasn't shot much.  Can the hive help me out?
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
$900 to $1000 for a quick sale, $1200 to $1300 may take awhile. I just sold my beauty for $1000 shipped with original box. Anything higher than $1300 will not sell, especially if it has a sear block because most people who buy them are in ban states and really want the lower just be able to have an AR15 with the evil features. The sear block inhibits the use of a full auto carrier, there for, limiting the customizing of said AR15.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
$900 to $1000 for a quick sale, $1200 to $1300 may take awhile. I just sold my beauty for $1000 shipped with original box. Anything higher than $1300 will not sell, especially if it has a sear block because most people who buy them are in ban states and really want the lower just be able to have an AR15 with the evil features. The sear block inhibits the use of a full auto carrier, there for, limiting the customizing of said AR15.

I prevents the use of a RDIAS not M16 carrier.  6920 comes with M16 carrier and has the block.  Try to check your facts before posting.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prevents the use of a RDIAS not M16 carrier.  6920 comes with M16 carrier and has the block.  Try to check your facts before posting.

Chill out man, you're talking about a sear WEB casting on the 6920, read his post fully before you call out my reply...please, try and check your facts!

PINNED SEAR BLOCK, FOUND ON MOST PRE-BAN COLT'S...this does NOT allow the use of a full auto carrier unless modified or removed!

SEAR WEB, FOUND ON LATER COLT'S...this style allows the use of a full auto carrier

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's a pre-ban with the bayo lug it's worth much more to some people.  You would probably need to investigate a few other things to know exactly what you're holding.

Does it have oversize trigger and hammer pins?  Does it have the offset front pin?
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The MH prefix indicates that it shouldn't have a bayo lug unless it has a different upper on it. The later Sporter HBAR models had shaved bayo lugs, but did have flash hiders up until the ban. Bayo lugs came with the SP, GC and GS prefix rifles. Of course the SP1's were equipped with bayo lug as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#6]
While the others continue their pissing match, lol!!!!

I would say a grand would be a fair price. How about posting some photos?
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#7]
rifles at least $1500 in a ban state carbines $1800 to $2000
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Photos coming tomorrow-Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Photos.  It appears that there are lock rings around 2 pins.  Is this a problem?

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there any markings forward of the front sight block? It looks like the barrel assembly w/ front sight block was replaced/swapped out with another. It may also be a Colt M16 upper assembly. Your lower would have had a shaved bayo lug.Those are anti walk c-clips, they prevent the trigger pins from walking out of the lower receiver, it may have a different fire control group. Can you take some pictures of the internals and under side of upper receiver?
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like I have a mixmaster.  The barrel is marked SUM 5.56.  The club member who sold it to me is either ignorant, or a lying SOB.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#12]
You have the correct bolt carrier, not sure on the bolt. I wanted to see towards the rear of the upper receiver to see if it has the sear relief cut. If it doesn't have the relief cut and it's marked C M on the right side in front of the rear sight, it should be a Colt Sporter upper receiver. You may just need to change out the barrel assembly with a Colt HBAR assembly with front sight block.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Chuckles84, I owe you one.  It does appear to be a Colt upper.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#14]
The upper and lower receivers are correct Colt Sporter rifle. You could try to find a barrel and save this rifle, the over all condition looks pretty good.

Here's a link to my ad, I had the slab side or no fence lower receiver. I've had a dozen of these rifles in various forms. I'm glad I could help.

Colt Sporter HBAR 6601

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]
the receiver is Colt but the barrel has been replaced with an Olympic Arms stailess steel match barrel with cast FSB
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
This is from Olympic Arms about their stainless match barrels,

These barrels are our most accurate barrels, and quite frankly, these are the most accurate AR-15 barrels on the market. These barrels have Broach-cut Rifling. What is that you say? Well, broaching is the method used to create the lands and grooves. For these barrels, we use the stamping "SUM" which means Stainless Ultra Match. SUM barrels are all chambered with minimum SAAMI 223 Remington reamers. These barrels can also be identified by looking down the bore. All of our broach-cut or Ultramatch barrels have only 4 lands and 4 grooves.

This may be something to consider as well if you plan on shooting it in its current configuration,

Note:  You can fire both 5.56 NATO and .233 REM ammunition in a barrrel marked 5.56.  You Can ONLY fire .223 ammuntion in a barrel marked .223. Unless its marked .223 Wylde chamber, you can use 5.56 with that.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The barrel is marked 5.56, so I can shoot both.  Thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top