Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2012 12:49:37 PM EDT
Are the DD bolt carrier groups on par with the BCM bcg's?

Meaning proper materials, properly staked keys, MP tested, shot preened etc, etc, etc....

I can play the notify game with BCM which I'm loosing at, or for $155 I can back order a DD BCG and get it when I get it.  But I want something as good as BCM or better.  DD rifles, rails etc are highly regarded top notch so I suspect the BCG will be top shelf but thought I'd ask.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
They are both on a par..excellent BCGs
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
BCM and DD are the only BCGs I run. I'd put them on par.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice to hear.  I snagged 2 DD BCGs on Black Friday.  Will be here tomorrow!
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Choose the logo you like either is a good choice.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Your question is backwards............
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
BCM, DD, LMT, Spikes they are all good. From my experience.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I perfer LMT or Colt BCG

Ive had good luck with CMT/STAG also

Does BCM or DD make there own carrier and bolt in house?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't know about BCM, but DD makes everything in house.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I prefer LMT or Colt BCG

I've had good luck with CMT/STAG also

Add Spikes to that list. I would be interested in knowing also.

A while back I read an article about BCM and the question was asked about the BCG and the owner said that they accidentally sold some of their BCGs with the F mark still on them. It was kind of a tease.
F mark Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I perfer LMT or Colt BCG

Ive had good luck with CMT/STAG also

DD does....BCM doesn't.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Good list so far. I had a thunderbolt from denny's that seemed to be pretty good. I don't even know if they still carry them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
What is an F mark in regards to a BCG?  F marks have to do with FSB I thought.

Backwards queston?  Is BCM as good as DD?  

Edit:  Never mind.  Google says F marked bolts/carriers indicate FN contractor.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont care who makes what in house, what matters is the end result. That being said, has anyone put the BCM or DD bolts through a "torture" test?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I dont care who makes what in house, what matters is the end result. That being said, has anyone put the BCM or DD bolts through a "torture" test?

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wouldn't the Filthy 14 cover this?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this^ and the lav/dd testing should cover the other side of it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I couldn't makeup my mind between the brands so I just bought both

A recce 14 and a dd middy
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry, Im not familiar with that. Sounds like an interesting read though.

*heads to search function*

On edit: Just read it, I would say that definitely qualifies the BCM.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
DD is every bit as good as BCM.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#20]
If its anything to add, when I called DD to recommend a bolt that would match well to their barrel extension when I couldn't secure a matching DD BCG. They recommend a BCM. They fit and function 100%. Great products and service to the DD guys.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Daniel Defense does not make everything in house, but keep thinking it if you want. The company I used to work for made many of their forends and rails. We also made charging handles for BCM and VLTOR.

LMT,BCM, DD, Noveske are all top notch products IMO, even it they farm some of the work, they still quality check every piece they send out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Filthy 14 was/is a complete system ... not just a BCG.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daniel Defense does not make everything in house, but keep thinking it if you want. The company I used to work for made many of their forends and rails. We also made charging handles for BCM and VLTOR.

LMT,BCM, DD, Noveske are all top notch products IMO, even it they farm some of the work, they still quality check every piece they send out.

They make a lot more than most people. I am curious to what exactly they "farmed out", and what exactly you were doing with these "forends and "rails".

With two factories up and running, I find it highly unlikely DD would be farming work unless they were severely behind. I know several people personally that work for DD, one that machines rails, and have never heard of farming being done.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make a lot more than most people. I am curious to what exactly they "farmed out", and what exactly you were doing with these "forends and "rails".

With two factories up and running, I find it highly unlikely DD would be farming work unless they were severely behind. I know several people personally that work for DD, one that machines rails, and have never heard of farming being done.

I'd be interested as well.

I've spoken extensively with a few folks at DD, and done a lot of business with them...from what I've heard, I have little doubt that they're producing nearly everything in house.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not familiar with this vendor, DELTA 3 TACTICAL . Anyone have any experience with them?

https://delta3tactical.com/store/products/Daniel-Defense-AR%252d15-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group.html

They appear to have DD and Spike's Tactical BCGs in stock for around $145-150, respectively.

They also have the chrome and nickel boron BCGs for a bit more. Worth it?
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I tried to order a spikes upper from them one time. After about 3 days I hadn't received any kind of order confirmation email or anything. So I called them and apparently they hadn't even checked on the order and they were out of the uppers I wanted.  I cancelled and ended up ordering from aimsurplus.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Personally I don't think there any different that all the other brands that claim to be fully tested for durability! I'd just get which one is the least expensive and enjoy it. In addition to the staking of the gas keys I figure as long as they were done I dowuldn't worry about it at all. I don't want to get into any arguments on the issue of wether they need to be staked or not.

Impala
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Your question is backwards............

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Including the trigger that must have been out of spec that my buddy got? (DD)  Tried it in 3 different lowers (installed correctly) and it did not function properly.   It appeared that the bottom surface of the trigger where it meets up with the inside of the receiver was too thick which caused problems.

I gave him one of my CMMG triggers and his Noveske ran perfect.

Ever since, I have had a weird feeling about DD.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I've used 3 DD LPKs, own 2 factory DD rifles, and fired a few other factory DD rifles. All those triggers have been flawless. I'll add that while I've eventually swapped out any and all of my stock triggers for Geisseles, I've found DD to be the best stock milspec trigger I've used...I've read several others claim the same.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've used 3 DD LPKs, own 2 factory DD rifles, and fired a few other factory DD rifles. All those triggers have been flawless. I'll add that while I've eventually swapped out any and all of my stock triggers for Geisseles, I've found DD to be the best stock milspec trigger I've used...I've read several others claim the same.

Yes, his was likely a fluke based on the many positive experiences with DD that I hear about.  Still makes me .
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RogueSpear2023 IS correct! Most of these companies 'farm' out some of their work. How do I know? A very good friend of mine is a lead machinist (supervisor position) at an extrusion company that makes, rails, receivers, and other parts for several different companies. These companies include FN, DD, Remington, etc. You would be surprised at how many companies are selling the exact same part with a different 'brand' stamped on it. Yet their advertising states how much superior their part is then the other companies when in fact they are one and the same. You just pay more for theirs....because you are supporting their claim to fame. Granted these are all higher quality brands so you are going to pay anyways. Before anyone says anything about Remington, the parts made are milspec for that contract, not stuff to go into DPMS civilian bargain guns. If I remember correctly they are currently making the one-piece uppers. I'll have to ask him again to verify.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
BCM and DD are the only BCGs I run. I'd put them on par with Milspec.

Link Posted: 12/6/2012 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RogueSpear2023 IS correct! Most of these companies 'farm' out some of their work. How do I know? A very good friend of mine is a lead machinist (supervisor position) at an extrusion company that makes, rails, receivers, and other parts for several different companies. These companies include FN, DD, Remington, etc. You would be surprised at how many companies are selling the exact same part with a different 'brand' stamped on it. Yet their advertising states how much superior their part is then the other companies when in fact they are one and the same. You just pay more for theirs....because you are supporting their claim to fame. Granted these are all higher quality brands so you are going to pay anyways. Before anyone says anything about Remington, the parts made are milspec for that contract, not stuff to go into DPMS civilian bargain guns. If I remember correctly they are currently making the one-piece uppers. I'll have to ask him again to verify.

Just because its the same manufacturer, doesn't make the part the same. The manufacturer will make a part to print. Company A holds tighter tolerances so manufacturer has to go slower, increased cost. Company B is a little more relaxed, less machining, speed up production, cheaper part.

I'm not saying some parts aren't shared, just that its not necessarily the same.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm still wondering why people think it matters if the company makes the parts "in house" or not.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm still wondering why people think it matters if the company makes the parts "in house" or not.

I agree. From what I hear different companies ask for different specs in their parts so it really doesn't matter who makes them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#37]
I gave up on trying to track down a BCM BCG for my latest BCM upper.  I ordered a chrome DD BCG.  I'm confident that it will be just fine.

Heck.... My Model 1 chrome BCG is still going strong.  My RRA chrome BCG is still going strong.  All of my PSA BCG's are going strong..... I haven't had any failures yet.  I think people on the internet are overly concerned about BCG failures.  A carbine gas 16" gun with a standard buffer and semi-auto carrier may beat up some bolt lugs, but short of that, how many failures have you all really seen?

Incidently... Where the heck are the BCG's?  I know there is high demand, but it's the only component that seems to be really running short.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#38]
After getting a couple more emails from BCM saying the BCG's were in stock, and after them selling out within minutes of me getting the emails, I just ordered a bunch of stuff I would normally order from BCM from Brownells including 10 magazines, a BCM Mod 4 changing handle, a DD BCG(back ordered) and an M4 upper.

So they lost several hundred bucks from me because they have no back order process in which they should fill orders in the order they are received and as product becomes available.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I hate to admit, but I kinda understand their back order process at a time like right now. The back orders would be a zoo. You'd have a thousand calls a day trying to track down their back order. I do think its costing them business, but I bet they don't care right now. I'm sure they're totally swamped.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Do people think they are going to ban BCG's?  Nothing is going to happen gun control wise until the republicans loose the house.  If When that happens, Katey bar the door.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top