Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2012 6:08:52 AM EDT
So, over the past few months on Kitup! and SSD they've been talking about Warsport's LVOA

14.5" and 12" guns developed to reduced muzzle flash for use under NODs without utilizing a suppressor. Tuned gas system for soft shooting, long slick handrail, seems like an interesting weapon althought I'm not totally sold on the total concept.
Apparently it will be released today.

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/23/lvoa-ar-officially-launching-today/
http://soldiersystems.net/2012/10/08/war-sport-industries-lvoa-s/
http://kitup.military.com/2012/09/war-sports-lvoa-sbr-watch.html

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes sir,

The rifle is live and ready for orders.

You can read about the system at LVOA Rifle Site

If you have any questions please let me know.

John
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you have a rail system that somewhat shrouds a normal muzzle device that's on there.  I've seen video of it shooting some flames out in broad daylight on youtube as well.  I don't believe that there seems to be any kind of voodoo magic attached to it to keep the fireballs more so suppressed, perhaps it just shines more so in recoil impulse.  Color me skeptic at this point.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Sir,

Based on density altitude and type of powder used in the ammunition you will have a muzzle flash on any firearm.

The rail will move the flash out of the sight plane in worst situations.

When shot with higher quality ammunition XM193, M855, Winchester Ranger, and so forth the flash drops to almost none to none at all. Please check out this link and notice the difference in the first two ammunition types and the direction of the flash with a Battle comp, compared to not having the rail system.  

LVOA Video Links

The first two Videos done my Dee Mack are done back to back with in 5 min's of each other.

The other two videos where done in Aug 2012 at a Chris Costa Carbine Employment LV-1 and LV-2 courses.  

Recoil impulse is honestly my main driving force of my addiction to the LVOA platform. Mostly I run a 18" rifle gas system with 14.0 or 15.0 handguards to lower the recoil impulse and improve split times. The LVOA 12.0" and 14.5" are the only two carbines that out perform my 18" rifle gas system rifles in this regard. Since the LVOA's have a shorter OAL from the magazine port to muzzle the point ability and keeping the sight plane on target is much smoother in pairs and rhythm drills event at 100yds and 150yds.  

Granted you and I both know pairs and rhythm drills are slower past 50yds then under 50yds but compared to other rifles of similar barrel OAL the LVOA is faster in everyone's hands we have seen to date.

John
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sir,

Based on density altitude and type of powder used in the ammunition you will have a muzzle flash on any firearm.

The rail will move the flash out of the sight plane in worst situations.

When shot with higher quality ammunition XM193, M855, Winchester Ranger, and so forth the flash drops to almost none to none at all. Please check out this link and notice the difference in the first two ammunition types and the direction of the flash with a Battle comp, compared to not having the rail system.  

LVOA Video Links

The first two Videos done my Dee Mack are done back to back with in 5 min's of each other.

The other two videos where done in Aug 2012 at a Chris Costa Carbine Employment LV-1 and LV-2 courses.  

Recoil impulse is honestly my main driving force of my addiction to the LVOA platform. Mostly I run a 18" rifle gas system with 14.0 or 15.0 handguards to lower the recoil impulse and improve split times. The LVOA 12.0" and 14.5" are the only two carbines that out perform my 18" rifle gas system rifles in this regard. Since the LVOA's have a shorter OAL from the magazine port to muzzle the point ability and keeping the sight plane on target is much smoother in pairs and rhythm drills event at 100yds and 150yds.  

Granted you and I both know pairs and rhythm drills are slower past 50yds then under 50yds but compared to other rifles of similar barrel OAL the LVOA is faster in everyone's hands we have seen to date.

John

Thanks for explaining - that was the original video that I had watched (the low quality powder one) when I said that I had seen lots of flame.  That's a whole different story when running that match ammo.  Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#5]
John, how well does this run varying ammo? Is it akin to KAC guns that are designed to run higher pressure duty or mil ammo?

I'm curious about how it runs so soft. Most of the designs out there are combinations of buffer and bolt carrier weights, adjustable or small gas ports, longer gas systems all tuned for specific ammos. If you don't want to answer in an open forum feel free to hit me up on . I find the concept interesting, but I'm interested in the technical part.

As an aside, I'd get what you can an can't say about your rifle/company cleared by the higher ups. Don't want to see you get booted for selling as an non-paying vendor.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]
No sales in my world I am a trainer. In this topic I cover questions and concerns that are posted.

Anyhow, the LVOA system has been tested with Wolf steel case on up to custom 80grn match ammunition. As we know the 80grn was single shot but it was tested and all levels between. Granted some ammunition has been shot more then others but most common commercial ammunition has been tested to at lease 500rnds per-type / brand to date. The prototype is in excess of 13,000 rounds and we are finding now the wear life on most parts and learning when to replace parts of the rifle. One unique note is the MK18 needs barrel replacement around the 8,000 to 10,000 round mark do to gas port erosion. We have surpassed this mark on the LVOA 12.0 so far.

The prototype is almost twice the barrel life at this point on the MK18 and will soon see just how far we can go with all the demo rifles in peoples hands that are high round count, hot rifle runners like myself.

The ability of any Ar-15 or semi-auto rifle to cycle is based on some basic factors. With in these factors you can change major parts like buffer weight or gas port, BCG weight and things like that. The same process was done with the LVOA carbine but Joey took it a step more. With his background in mechanical engineering Joey took the time to fine tune aspects that are over looked and masked by some of the more simpler swap out part fixes that many others do.

The heart of the project is simple, if you need the capabilities the LVOA carbines offer then it fits a role for you or your unit. The LVOA is not for everyone or the basic shooter situation. But the people that this system fits a need, well now that need is filled. On the civilian side of the house the LVOA fills a need also, and that need is for people to decide if its something they need or not. But I would advise before assuming, education is best done on the shooting range not on the net.  

I will do my best to educate everyone that wants to learn about the system and what role it fills.

John
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
So what are some of these "over-looked aspects"?

The flash reduction is pretty self explanatory with the combination of the rail design and BC. However, the other selling point is the incredible recoil reduction which given the differences in ammunition types seems somewhat hard to believe. I'd be interested in seeing what could be done in a DI system to allow more consistency with varying types of ammunition.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No sales in my world I am a trainer. In this topic I cover questions and concerns that are posted.

Anyhow, the LVOA system has been tested with Wolf steel case on up to custom 80grn match ammunition. As we know the 80grn was single shot but it was tested and all levels between. Granted some ammunition has been shot more then others but most common commercial ammunition has been tested to at lease 500rnds per-type / brand to date. The prototype is in excess of 13,000 rounds and we are finding now the wear life on most parts and learning when to replace parts of the rifle. One unique note is the MK18 needs barrel replacement around the 8,000 to 10,000 round mark do to gas port erosion. We have surpassed this mark on the LVOA 12.0 so far.

The prototype is almost twice the barrel life at this point on the MK18 and will soon see just how far we can go with all the demo rifles in peoples hands that are high round count, hot rifle runners like myself.

John

Can you provide more details about the barrel?  The website doesn't say much other than 1:8 twist

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what are some of these "over-looked aspects"?

The flash reduction is pretty self explanatory with the combination of the rail design and BC. However, the other selling point is the incredible recoil reduction which given the differences in ammunition types seems somewhat hard to believe. I'd be interested in seeing what could be done in a DI system to allow more consistency with varying types of ammunition.

Flash reduction is more then what you listed but I.P. and other rules apply that I will not get it too.

Recoil management is done many ways most recently in the training aspect. All I will say about the LVOA and this aspect is all factors can be measured if one cares enough to do so.

Using recoil management techniques in marksmanship and a proper designed system will make a (flat) recoil carbine.

John
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Can you provide more details about the barrel?  The website doesn't say much other than 1:8 twist

Yes sir War Sport offers a 12″ or 14.5" both barrels are mid-gas Proprietary DI, 1/8 twist .223 Wylde or 5.56mm.

The LVOA is sold as a upper or full rifle setup none of the proprietary parts will be sold separately I.E. hand guards / barrels.

John
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Any pictures other than the couple on the website?

How about NV flash comparison compared to other FHs and cans?
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
i may have missed it somewhere but is this going to be, for sure, a monolithic rail/ upper or not?
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i may have missed it somewhere but is this going to be, for sure, a monolithic rail/ upper or not?

From the "Looks" of it, the prototypes used the MEGA MONO uppers. They have been discontinued. The new ones look like the shaved down SPIKE Tactical SAR rail, which is not mono.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the "Looks" of it, the prototypes used the MEGA MONO uppers. They have been discontinued. The new ones look like the shaved down SPIKE Tactical SAR rail, which is not mono.

Gentlemen,

The monolithic upper is the prototype rifle that most of the testing was done on and was the main platform for the production run. Since Mega Arms dropped the line War Sport staff went in a new direction with the LVOA upper and rail is a “two” piece design with a superior barrel lockup design that offers anti-rotation and precise rail alignment tabs. The rail locking system was designed and engineered by GPI Custom Gunworks and a Vltor MUR.

Please read the F.A.Q.'s this will cover most questions.

On the picture request become friends with War Sport on facebook and yo will have all you wish for.

John
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gentlemen,

The monolithic upper is the prototype rifle that most of the testing was done on and was the main platform for the production run. Since Mega Arms dropped the line War Sport staff went in a new direction with the LVOA upper and rail is a “two” piece design with a superior barrel lockup design that offers anti-rotation and precise rail alignment tabs. The rail locking system was designed and engineered by GPI Custom Gunworks and a Vltor MUR.

Please read the F.A.Q.'s this will cover most questions.

On the picture request become friends with War Sport on facebook and yo will have all you wish for.

John

Way ahead of you. The pics are awesome.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#16]
First batch just sold out.

Will be a bit before the door opens again.

http://www.warsport-us.net/War-Sport-AR15-Uppers-Builds_c2.htm

If any of you are close to NC the LVOA 14.5" will be my main carbine for 2013.

So if you want any trigger time on it come on out to a course and give it a run or two.  

John
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
First batch just sold out.

Will be a bit before the door opens again.

http://www.warsport-us.net/War-Sport-AR15-Uppers-Builds_c2.htm

If any of you are close to NC the LVOA 14.5" will be my main carbine for 2013.

So if you want any trigger time on it come on out to a course and give it a run or two.  

John

Any pics of the 14.5? I have only seen the 12.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#18]
We have some and the freaking website is being a pain. As soon as the War Sport staff get the bugs gone they will be posted.

Once they go up, I will move some here.

John
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#19]
thanks, also do you have the OD of the rail? how is the thickness compared to a NSR rail?
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Looking forward to the next release.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Any future plans to offer the rail system or one similar to it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#22]
The 14.5" is DONE!!

My buddy Andy stopped by.

John
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Some pics of the lower.

The complete kit!!

John
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Spikes buffer?
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I pick up "my" LVOA-C on Tuesday (01-08-13). It's going to the booth gun at SHOT Show for Multitasker Tools / MagPod (Booth #7309) if you are going to the show and want to see it please stop by. If you are in Vegas I will be hitting the range the saturday before and after the show so if you want to shoot it let me know. (more details to follow)
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#26]
LVOA-C

Link Posted: 1/9/2013 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#27]
^^That the 14.5"???
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
^^That the 14.5"???

Yes it is.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Some people should have these now. Any range reports or more pictures?
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some people should have these now. Any range reports or more pictures?

I (and a bunch of other industry guys) put over 1000 rounds thru mine last saturday (the day after shot show). With no issues. It ran like a top. I have not had a chance to run any groups with it yet.

I will post some photos soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Here are some pics for you

Link Posted: 1/27/2013 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Awesome thanks for the pictures.  Is the recoil as light as they claim it is?
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Awesome thanks for the pictures.  Is the recoil as light as they claim it is?

It is. My 14.5 has the impulse of a 12.5 with a suppressor attached.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I love this thing, and in the morning, of to DPRC to give it a run during a pistol class. LOL

Extras include:

DD front and Rear sights
TLR-1s light
XTM Mix up rail kit
XTM hand stop kit
Troy VFG
War Sport Rail Bungee

I am using my War Sport 18-GPR-L lower for now, will install the LVOA lower here in a bit.

This will be a iron sighted rifle for 2013, going back to the basics for a wile.

John
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Very impressive...me likey!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I know this is designed to be a sbr but hows the accuracy on it just wondering if the gas system mechanics effected it at all. I do think its a well thought out design and the gas system , bcg and buffer weights as well as springs are an often misunderstood and looked over part of a lot of sbr builds. I am happy to see someone addressing it in a smart and thought out way of looking at individual things and their effect on the whole package keep it up.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top