Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 5:18:38 PM EDT
I own an older H-BAR with the pivot screw.  Is there a conversion so I can use new uppers on my old rifle?  I do not want to make a permanent alteration.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I own an older H-BAR with the pivot screw.  Is there a conversion so I can use new uppers on my old rifle?  I do not want to make a permanent alteration.

How old are we talking? Some colt H-bar's were small pin receivers that used a screw rather than a pin but were pin ready.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
this, my 6700c came with a 2 sided .250" screw, but the detent hole was drilled and it just took the detent, spring and pin to upgrade.
if the holes not drilled, it can be, but its a bit tricky.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought this rifle new.  Can't tell you the date without digging through records but probably before 1990.  It's marked "AR15A2 H-BAR SPORTER" serial number SP234XXX.  Not my only Colt AR, picked up an LE6920 this week.  I'm trying to figure out if this platform is more flexible.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought this rifle new.  Can't tell you the date without digging through records but probably before 1990.  It's marked "AR15A2 H-BAR SPORTER" serial number SP234XXX.  Not my only Colt AR, picked up an LE6920 this week.  I'm trying to figure out if this platform is more flexible.

It looks like you may have a pre-ban rifle, does your state have a ban?  if not I will  trade your lower for a brand new stag lower with a proper take down pin!

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html

I think it was in the mid 70's when colt made the switch to large pivot pins, check out biggerhammer for more info. It it is a big pin you need the adapter, if not and there is a chance you just need a pin, spring, and detent.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe my old 6700 is the same vintage as yours.  Have you tried your upper on another lower?  Like a different manufacturer?  I know my 6700 fits a milspec receiver.  Then as stated before your rifle would not use the Brownells offset pin, but if the small hole is already drilled, all you will need is the front takedown pin, detent and spring.  Not the easiest to install but if you have ever built a stripped receiver, you already know how.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
if there is a very small hole drilled in the side of the upper (sideways, in from the right side) on the bump where  the detent and spring would live, its drilled and ready for a captive pin.

if not, the long hole for the detent and spring isn't there.
its very tricky to get that hole right.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top