Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2012 4:34:50 PM EDT
When the barrel is inserted into the upper receiver, there is some play.  The nipple on the barrel can rock back and forth slightly in the notch on the upper.  

Are there any tricks I can use to firm this pair up before the barrel nut goes on?  I am toying with the idea of using a drop or two of blue locktite...

Barrel is a Daniel Defense hammer forged 5.56 and I'm using a Aero Precision upper.

I'm very interested to hear what the experts have to say.  Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
When you tighten the barrel nut to spec it won't.  There is no need to "bed" the barrel in the receiver.  The nut centers and clamps the barrel flange.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Would you say that a certain amount of "slop" between the two is acceptable?

In other words...my other builds have been nice and snug...this one is slighly looser than my others.  It's enough to hear it nocking back and forth when I rotate it.

Of course, this is all without a barrel nut installed.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In other words...my other builds have been nice and snug...this one is slighly looser than my others.  It's enough to hear it nocking back and forth when I rotate it.

Quite acceptable.  As long as it doesn't do it once the nut is torqued, your rifle will be just fine.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite acceptable.  As long as it doesn't do it once the nut is torqued, your rifle will be just fine.

If it does want to move once torqued...then what?  I don't anticipate this problem...just want to learn about my options.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it does want to move once torqued...then what?  I don't anticipate this problem...just want to learn about my options.

You can shim it with pieces of coke can.  I've heard of it but never SEEN anyone do it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
the "slop" may induce excess windage if you have a barrel with FSB. You can cut a small strip of Aluminum from soda can and shim it before tighten the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think there is enough room to shim anything...the clearance is very, very small.  I would not know how to begin getting anything to sit in there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
if you use a receiver action block to tighten the barrekl nut it will twist  the barrel to the left POSSIBLY creating a "canted " front sight ( it's not, it's the whole barrel over a few thousanths)
if this is the case and you have to use a lot of windage (here i'm ASSuming irons) to sight it in, you can take it back apart and use a barrel clamp(have someone hold the upper)  and tighten the nut.
this will allow the nut to tighten without "twisting " it in the upper.
either way it will function fine.
if your running optics it doesn't matter.
i know of people who purposely make the slot in the upper wider to rotate  the barrel.

i am definitely not a expert
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if you use a receiver action block to tighten the barrekl nut it will twist  the barrel to the left POSSIBLY creating a "canted " front sight ( it's not, it's the whole barrel over a few thousanths)
if this is the case and you have to use a lot of windage (here i'm ASSuming irons) to sight it in, you can take it back apart and use a barrel clamp(have someone hold the upper)  and tighten the nut.
this will allow the nut to tighten without "twisting " it in the upper.
either way it will function fine.
if your running optics it doesn't matter.
i know of people who purposely make the slot in the upper wider to rotate  the barrel.  Why would anybody do this on purpose?  This is exactly the source of the rocking back and forth I am seeing...
i am definitely not a expert

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
to correct a crooked front sight,
i didn't do it, a buddy did.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
to correct a crooked front sight,
i didn't do it, a buddy did.

I see...pretty clever.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all of your feedback fellas!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't think there is enough room to shim anything...the clearance is very, very small.  I would not know how to begin getting anything to sit in there.

Aluminum from soda can is much softer than the barrel extension and the upper, cut a small piece shim it and lightly tap the barrel home.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#14]
The index slot in the upper should be .125", how wide is yours?

With the barrel nut torqued the barrel well not rotate.  If you are using a FSB attached to the barrel it well effect windage.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]
The coke can trick works very well.  

And for those that think ' shim ... no way in my rifle',  just think about all the shims in any high performance engine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top