Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2012 8:43:51 AM EDT
I'm looking for a lighter full length handguard for my rifle. It needs to be free floating, since my current handguard is free floating and I don't want to affect the accuracy. I'm just trying to lighten up my rifle a bit. Even half a pound helps out when carrying it around. My current handguard is pretty solid with minimal cutouts, so I think it is about as heavy as it can be. I would like to have a top rail, but side rails are necessary. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Midwest Industries gen 2 ss free float. Got one for my new build. Weighs about 9oz I believe
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Dont have numbers in front of me, but the DD OmegaX rails and the Troy/VTAC Alpha rails are both a good option.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Check it...

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/charts/free-float-rails

ETA: Ugly as sin, but based on the above it's probably this...

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the Seekins Precision SAR rail is only 12 ounces. And it feels rock solid for a 12" rail.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The Clark Custom Guns Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube weighs 6 ounces, including the aluminum barrel nut.  I've yet to find anything lighter.

Some people don't like the aluminum barrel nut because aluminum expands at a different rate than steel.  I get that in theory, but have the Clark tube on two lightweight builds which get shot a lot and get hot, and have had not trouble in practice.

Other people don't like the fact that the instructions say to glue the tube to the barrel nut, but at least one ARFCOM member had drilled and tapped the tube and barrel nut and installed the tube with screws.

If you want a light weight rifle length handguard, it's hard to beat the 6 ounce, $100 Clark unit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Why not just a magpul MOE guard.  You can add the rails where you want them and its solid and comfortable, not to mention cheap.  I know its not a full rail system but I think it is a very good weight saving option.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The OP said it needs to be free floating.  The Clark is lighter than the MOE.

Quoted:
It needs to be free floating, since my current handguard is free floating and I don't want to affect the accuracy.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Samson Evo is 12.37" and weighs in at 11.5oz with the thermal bushing that attaches to the stock barrel nut. Great rail.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Other than the carbon fiber HG, the MI SS Gen II is easily the lightest.

Dunno why N2CH says it's ugly as sin, the rifle I built with one is as good looking as anything else I've built, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that $hit.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Other than the carbon fiber HG, the MI SS Gen II is easily the lightest.

Dunno why N2CH says it's ugly as sin, the rifle I built with one is as good looking as anything else I've built, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that $hit.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Joe

+1
Have this as well, it's awesome, but gets a little hot with rapid fire
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a rainier arms 12'' free float evolution rail.  It's great, lightweight, does get hot quickly though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input guys. I actually like the look of the Midwest Industries rail. I don't necessarily think it is ugly, and the top rail is nice since that would allow me to mount angled iron sights. Not necessarily required for long range shooting, but it would be nice to shoot and test myself. I'll have to see if I can order it through the shop I work at.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I personally like the PRI tubes, not the lightest but definitely not the heaviest
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Rainier Arms Evolution series.  The 12" is 11 oz with the heatsink.. The 15" is 12.8 oz with heatsink.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
AP Custom's tubes are also worth a look.  Unlike the Clark CF tubes, they are vented and use the standard steel barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Midwest Industries gen 2 ss free float. Got one for my new build. Weighs about 9oz I believe

+1
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#17]
any idea who make a light  weight 13"?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys. I actually like the look of the Midwest Industries rail. I don't necessarily think it is ugly, and the top rail is nice since that would allow me to mount angled iron sights. Not necessarily required for long range shooting, but it would be nice to shoot and test myself. I'll have to see if I can order it through the shop I work at.

PSA has them on sale for $140.
I paid $160 for mine shipped, which was a good deal at the time, thanks again, JoeBob.

Joe
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top