Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2012 10:44:26 PM EDT
I hear a lot of people say that the M4A1 profile barrel isn't worth the extra money over the government profile. Well I got one from PSA for 299.99 and it was only 50 more than the M4 upper. Did I get a good deal or should I have gotten the M4 upper?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Always ask before you buy. Afterwards, it's a bit late for opinions. But anyway, if you don't mind the extra few ounces, I personally think it's better.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely begs the question "for what"

Both profiles are stupid and make no sense for a civilian rifle but getting a sensible tapered profile barrel like a med con is usually much more expensive.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It's better for full auto mag dumps.
Thats about all it is better for.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Does PSA sell a 16" govt profile with the carbine gas system?
All I see is the midlength gas system.

Also, do they not offer the 10.5" anymore?
They have been out of stock for some time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hear a lot of people say that the M4A1 profile barrel isn't worth the extra money over the government profile. Well I got one from PSA for 299.99 and it was only 50 more than the M4 upper. Did I get a good deal or should I have gotten the M4 upper?

Not worth extra.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah it's 249.99 right now during the Black Friday sale. I think I saw the 10.5" last month or the month before but I'm sure they're out of stock again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, now you have a fat heavy barrel that you can still mount a M203 on.  Do you have a M203?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Both profiles are stupid and make no sense for a civilian rifle but getting a sensible tapered profile barrel like a med con is usually much more expensive.

I know a lot of people who like a lil muzzle weight for faster follow up shots.

As for the m4 profile i think its worth it if your building a clone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't both barrels be fine for clones though?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Too heavy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]
only worth it if you like heavy profile barrels. Some guys love them, most guys dont. I only like heavy barrels on long distance rifles like my FN SPR for the added stability. But for an AR no, unless I had a full auto or was a bump firing fool (thats my new term for bff)
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I like them. Heavier barrels are fine with me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#14]
completely hate additional weight up front that isn't mission essential. No auto, no 203? No need for a heavier barrel profile IMO
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I got a 10.5 from them about 6 weeks or so back. M4 profile chrome lined
for $299. I must say it shoots fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's better for full auto mag dumps.
Thats about all it is better for.

Thats the military reason, but more steel can mean a couple other things. Potentially better accuracy because of increased barrel stiffness, potentially longer lasting because of more steel to absorb heat.....

I like the A1 profile but since you already spent money it doesnt matter much does it....?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't both barrels be fine for clones though?

Yea, but i like the m4 profile better for a clone.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I like mine BUT I keep it bone stock...If I was going to add anthing I think it might be a bit heavy.  Does keep the muzzel down...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Checking in with the dissenting opinion:

I very much prefer the RO921HB profile ("SOCOM" barrel) over the RO920 government profile barrel.  

The RO921HB, while called an "HB" is really more of a medium contour barrel as we would recognize it than a full HBAR.  

Though I have not directly measured them out - IIRC, the difference in weight is four ounces.  To me, given where it is placed on the weapon, I consider that relatively insignificant when taking into account the way the weapon balances.  

The 921HB profile has less theoretical deflection when mounting a suppressor on the end of the long lever when talking about a 14.5" or 16" barrel, though some might argue that the deflection is imperceptible, and therefore irrelevant - it doesn't change the fact that all other things being equal - the suppressor causes more uneven stress on a government profile barrel at the weakest part of the barrel (under handguard behind the FSB cap where the narrow profile "flares" to the .750 FSB journal).  

I also feel that a suppressed 14.5" with a 921HB balances better for me than a government profile barrel (I run both currently).  

Also, when taking into account rates of heating and cooling and the effects on the barrel, I tend to prefer a gently tapered profile than the extreme changes of the government profile barrel, especially on aggressively used guns.  If half the barrel is "lightweight," while the other half is heavier like on a 14.5" barrel - you've basically got the barrel heating and cooling at two totally different rates, which cannot be good for the barrel or for the steel.  Granted, I have and use many government profile barrels - I consider them a good comprimise between weight and balance, especially on non-accessorized rifles, but my heaviest use rifles tend to use tapered profile RO921HB barrels.

I will say, I've carried heavy weapons before - and an M4A1 is not one of them.  For the peace of mind it gives me at high round counts and with warm barrels, the four ounces is worth it to me if I'm building a gun that's meant to be a general purpose, heavy use weapon with as aggressive of a firing schedule as I can afford to feed it for.  M203 cuts - well, for starters, unless something's changed recently, PSA's "SOCOM" profile barrels and Colt's 16" LE6920SOCOM profile are beyond pointless - without the milled flats, you can't mount an M203 even if you had one and wanted to.  The forward "notch" is a completely cosmetic and vestigial feature.  

On the other hand - I like at least the theoretical ability to mount an M203 - and if I can convince the better half, I'm hoping to budget one in to our household's FY '13 expenditures, but this yet to be seen.  

Some like 'em, some don't, but as far as I'm concerned - it's a non-issue, while there may be some uneven cooling going on at the notch, it's nothing compared to behind the FSB on a government profile barrel, and it's much shorter than the lightweight portion of the government barrel.  Under destructive testing - the government profile barrel catastrophically failed - the RO921HB profile can withstand sustained automatic fire sufficient to melt and cause catastrophic failure of the gas tube.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Checking in with the dissenting opinion:

SNIP

Augee

I second the motion.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Correct, it is 4oz. Some of you act like it 4 pounds.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top