Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 4:40:25 PM EDT
Who has experience with this make and model of AR?  I'm looking for an entry level AR and this caught my eye at the gunshop today.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I won't make any recommendations because I don't feel qualified, I'll just tell you what I ended up doing. Over a year ago I bought an Oracle and an M&P Sport. I never had any trouble with either after around 300 rounds through each. Like I said, I never had any trouble out of the Oracle, but I got nervous reading other people's reviews about their bore being too tight or the gas block loosening up. I also felt that, for the money I'd spent, I could've gotten a lot more gun for just a little more. Long story short, I now have a BCM upper on that M&P lower, and a DD barreled PK Firearms upper on a Stag lower ( I sold the Oracle). I'm really happy and am confident in what I've got. Just be sure to do your due diligence before you jump into anything (which I guess is what you're doing, huh...)
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight!  The M&P Sport is the other AR-15 option that I am currently considering.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Now the M&P Sport I miss. I'm likely to grab me another one. The lack of a dust cover was an issue for me, but only because I'm psycho and apparently susceptible to koolaid
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now the M&P Sport I miss. I'm likely to grab me another one. The lack of a dust cover was an issue for me, but only because I'm psycho and apparently susceptible to koolaid

Even though it's not a complete "deal killer", the absense of the dust cover and forward assist bothers me a bit regardiung the S&W M&P Sport!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I put together a oracle kit for a friend of mine.  I don't remember what the price was but I bought it from MidwayUSA.  It had everything minus the stripped lower.  He was big into DPMS so we found him a DPMS stripped lower and all in all it seemed decent but for what is out there, there are better options.  He has put around 500 or so rounds through it and the only problems he has with it are steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I put together a oracle kit for a friend of mine.  I don't remember what the price was but I bought it from MidwayUSA.  It had everything minus the stripped lower.  He was big into DPMS so we found him a DPMS stripped lower and all in all it seemed decent but for what is out there, there are better options.  He has put around 500 or so rounds through it and the only problems he has with it are steel cased ammo.

Thanks for the feedback!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
That just ugley. Spend a few dollars more and just get something standard please. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an Oracle and love it.  The coyotes –– not so much.  I've never had an issue with it at all.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Ive had my Oracle for almost a year now and its been a solid rifle. Ive never had a single FTE or FTF of any sort. It has been well worth its money.

The Oracle is not the best rifle by far. Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, Spikes Tactical, Stag, RRA, you get the point, are some of your top tier brands. These are mostly all 100% mil-spec rifles that already come with solid and reliable parts you need like a great bolt and BCG, good quality barrel, nice triggers, the works. The Oracle doesnt really have these things going for it. Really I think the only thing in spec with an Oracle is the lower receiver. The trigger is not the best quality, the barrels lack "life expectancy", the BCG does not pass strength and reliability tests, and some other things are sure to be added by others.

Given this, I still went with the Oracle because I got a good price for it, 600 bucks for a starter AR15. Over the last year, its received a new Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel, Daniel Defense M4 Rail, EOTech 512 Holosight, good Magpul products, and a good tac light. I more than likely would not have most of those things had I went with a more expensive brand and sold the old products from the original Oracle I had bought. I put what I wanted into the rifle and did my own work on it so I know I can trust it. The only thing I am looking to do to it now is sell my current BCG and buy a new BCM or Daniel Defense BCG and might get a new mil spec buffer tube assembly sometime soon to complete my rifle.

The Oracle has been a great rifle for me with no problems whatsoever. Its allowed me to shoot and practice fairly cheaply and also allowed me to buy my own products to put into the rifle. Ive been very happy with it and I would recommend this rifle to anyone who is looking for a cheap solution to an AR15 or to someone who is looking to get into the AR15 world. The most important thing to remember is that if you take care of your rifle, it will take care of you. Practice regular cleanings, make sure all components are lubed, search for signs of any defects, and be sure to practice up.

I will also add, if you are looking for a rifle in the price range of the DPMS Oracle, the S&W M&P15 is a great rifle. Not complete mil spec, but it gets the job done. Also, check out Palmetto State Armory. They offer complete mil spec rifles for a price that is nearly similar to the Oracle depending on what model you get. They also have a lot of deals and sales throughout the year.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ive had my Oracle for almost a year now and its been a solid rifle. Ive never had a single FTE or FTF of any sort. It has been well worth its money.

The Oracle is not the best rifle by far. Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, Spikes Tactical, Stag, RRA, you get the point, are some of your top tier brands. These are mostly all 100% mil-spec rifles that already come with solid and reliable parts you need like a great bolt and BCG, good quality barrel, nice triggers, the works. The Oracle doesnt really have these things going for it. Really I think the only thing in spec with an Oracle is the lower receiver. The trigger is not the best quality, the barrels lack "life expectancy", the BCG does not pass strength and reliability tests, and some other things are sure to be added by others.

Given this, I still went with the Oracle because I got a good price for it, 600 bucks for a starter AR15. Over the last year, its received a new Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel, Daniel Defense M4 Rail, EOTech 512 Holosight, good Magpul products, and a good tac light. I more than likely would not have most of those things had I went with a more expensive brand and sold the old products from the original Oracle I had bought. I put what I wanted into the rifle and did my own work on it so I know I can trust it. The only thing I am looking to do to it now is sell my current BCG and buy a new BCM or Daniel Defense BCG and might get a new mil spec buffer tube assembly sometime soon to complete my rifle.

The Oracle has been a great rifle for me with no problems whatsoever. Its allowed me to shoot and practice fairly cheaply and also allowed me to buy my own products to put into the rifle. Ive been very happy with it and I would recommend this rifle to anyone who is looking for a cheap solution to an AR15 or to someone who is looking to get into the AR15 world. The most important thing to remember is that if you take care of your rifle, it will take care of you. Practice regular cleanings, make sure all components are lubed, search for signs of any defects, and be sure to practice up.

I will also add, if you are looking for a rifle in the price range of the DPMS Oracle, the S&W M&P15 is a great rifle. Not complete mil spec, but it gets the job done. Also, check out Palmetto State Armory. They offer complete mil spec rifles for a price that is nearly similar to the Oracle depending on what model you get. They also have a lot of deals and sales throughout the year.

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I am considering purchasing an AR for a bit more money just to get a mil-spec rifle assuming that I can find a decent holiday sale!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have an Oracle and love it.  The coyotes –– not so much.  I've never had an issue with it at all.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x432/jcooney10311/Zombie%20Apocolypse/IMG_0835.jpg

My dads mountain lion hates the oracle too.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x432/jcooney10311/Zombie%20Apocolypse/IMG_0835.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb350/jtothed82/download.jpg
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb350/jtothed82/DSC00004.jpg

Wow!  I'm amazed that a 5.56 took down that cat!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Oracle is not a bad entry level rifle. I bought one because it was on sale and it had a NATO chamber on it. Gave it to my girlfriend. She loves it. Right out of the box it was one hundred percent reliable. A couple of things I didn't like. This not a function problem with the rifle, just my personal issues. The stock fit sucks. It rattles. Slop between the lower and upper and very tight fit with pmags. They have to be seated very firmly to lock reliably.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Thus far everyone's comments confirm that the Oracle is a great entry-level buy, but needs accessorizing.  I'm headed to the gunshops tomorrow so we'll see if I bring home anything or not.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Over 1500 rounds through my oracle with zero malfunctions. Shoots tighter groups than my other more expensive rifle.  It's a good shooter.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. They weren't expecting to find a tom that size. The area they hunt was turning out cats in the 80 to 110lb range. This one went 165lb. 9 year old tom,

BTW sorry to get off topic. I'm sure you will like one. I shoot a DPMS myself. I have a AP4 that I have had for 6 years now, probably three to 4 thousand rounds through it and have had only a handful of malfunctions. Probably do to dirt or the elements.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:12:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. They weren't expecting to find a tom that size. The area they hunt was turning out cats in the 80 to 110lb range. This one went 165lb. 9 year old tom,

BTW sorry to get off topic. I'm sure you will like one. I shoot a DPMS myself. I have a AP4 that I have had for 6 years now, probably three to 4 thousand rounds through it and have had only a handful of malfunctions. Probably do to dirt or the elements.  

I'd rather had a .30 caliber rifle for something that big but I'm glad that the Oracle did the job.

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought one as my first ar and have not had any issues. I only use it for plinking though. Now that I have a dd I can see the build difference between manufacturers. I plan on doing a few upgrades on the dpms (bcg, charging handle, etc) to improve it a little bit but for plinking, it's a great value.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#19]
the 308 is a 1moa gun but a pain to work on.  magpul does not seem to fit right away but does fit tight after alot of playing. over all it is loose compared to others and needs a new trigger like a mother but a good rifle kick is bad but a brake fixes it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#20]
the 308 is a 1moa gun but a pain to work on.  magpul does not seem to fit right away but does fit tight after alot of playing. over all it is loose compared to others and needs a new trigger like a mother but a good rifle kick is bad but a brake fixes it. DO NOT SHOOT SURPLUS AMMO IT WILL CHOKE
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He hit the nail on the head, also the DPMS is 550 at wallmart right now, how ever I bought the DPMS ar my first AR15 and have since moved on to better AR's

Its a great first AR though!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cougars are thin skinned. .223/5.56 is more than adequate for the job, especially with proper ammunition.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 4:14:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cougars are thin skinned. .223/5.56 is more than adequate for the job, especially with proper ammunition.

The mountain lion posted previously was certainly no small cat!  Even though 5.56 works on thin skinned animals the mountain lion shown in this thread had was very muscular!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top