Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2012 11:39:17 AM EDT
I'm going with a A1 stock on my 6920 and also wanted triangular hanguards.
I have searched but what little I can find are people that want drop ins (round on both ends) and the
few Carbine length ones I did find need to have the triangular part on the gun (at least the front).
Maybe I just can't find them but it seems from my point of view that there is a market for them.
So does anyone out there know where I can get carbine length dropin triangular handguards for a 6920.
Thanks......

John
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#1]
You might be better served by asking this question in the Retro forum here, since what you're asking for is a retro part.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Try the Retro forum(s).

From what I recall, carbine length triangles were a hack-up improvisation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
PK firearms has  them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much every option there is involves removing the FSB and swapping the circular handguard end cap and replacing it with a triangular piece.  

Making triangular handguards that would fit a round end cap wouldn't be impossible, and I am curious sometimes why it hasn't been done yet - the triangular carbine handguards are from what I've seen - relatively slow sellers.  However, I suspect that part of the slow sales is because the number of people who want to go through the trouble of removing the FSB just to mount another set of drop in plastic handguards is pretty small.  

If it was merely a drop in replacement, they'd probably be more popular - observe the MagPul MOE handguards.  For the life of me, I can see little difference ergonomically between them and triangular handguards - aesthetically they look cool to some people - and the polymer might be a little more advanced - but ergonomically, they're very similar.  Now - given the long availability of triangular handguards, and the sudden explosive popularity of the MOEs, I'm curious as to how much of it is merely MagPul love for the sake of MagPul love (which is not to say I dislike MagPul products, I have many of their products that I like, and the good ones are damn good, but they do have something of a "following"), but I digress.

With that being said, *if* OP, you're looking for a set of triangular handguards for the ergonomics and not for "the look," I might suggest the MOEs.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pretty much every option there is involves removing the FSB and swapping the circular handguard end cap and replacing it with a triangular piece.  

Making triangular handguards that would fit a round end cap wouldn't be impossible, and I am curious sometimes why it hasn't been done yet - the triangular carbine handguards are from what I've seen - relatively slow sellers.  However, I suspect that part of the slow sales is because the number of people who want to go through the trouble of removing the FSB just to mount another set of drop in plastic handguards is pretty small.  

Yes. My thoughts exactly.

If it was merely a drop in replacement, they'd probably be more popular - observe the MagPul MOE handguards.  For the life of me, I can see little difference ergonomically between them and triangular handguards - aesthetically they look cool to some people - and the polymer might be a little more advanced - but ergonomically, they're very similar.  Now - given the long availability of triangular handguards, and the sudden explosive popularity of the MOEs, I'm curious as to how much of it is merely MagPul love for the sake of MagPul love (which is not to say I dislike MagPul products, I have many of their products that I like, and the good ones are damn good, but they do have something of a "following"), but I digress.

With that being said, *if* OP, you're looking for a set of triangular handguards for the ergonomics and not for "the look," I might suggest the MOEs.  

~Augee

Definitely wanted the "look" and feel. Just don't like the look of the MOE guards.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
PK firearms has  them.

I checked but didn't see any under handguards. Do you know which Mfg. they are under.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
PK firearms has  them.

I checked but didn't see any under handguards. Do you know which Mfg. they are under.

Go to handguards then to standard. Right at the top.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PK firearms has  them.

That's where I got mine $29.95 + shipping.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PK firearms has  them.

Go to handguards then to standard. Right at the top.

Thanks but those are not drop in. Gotta go through the front sight base thing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Well it seems one  can't get everything for an AR. With my luck I'll be able to
buy a lightsaber bayonet before dropin tri guards.
Again many thanks to and for all of you. I have learned so much here.

John
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Removing the FSB is easy... YouTube it... I've done a bunch of them... Takes 10 minutes start to finish... Like I always tell my kids, NEVER GIVE UP!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#12]
You won't be able to fit a triangle handguard carbine length with the front handguard cap, hence why PK firearms sells theirs with a triangle handguard cap.
http://pkfirearms.com/Standard_Handguards/17/c
It is fairly easy to remove the front sight base to switch the handguard cap as discussed above.  If you don't feel like messing with your rifle, take it to a gunsmith you trust to do it.  It can easily be completed in less then 30 minutes
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top