Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2012 5:40:03 AM EDT
I picked up this pair yesterday with intentions of using the 20" barrel to build a retro gun for my father . I really dont know much about Colts as far as dating and codes but I know they have a stamping near the FSP as a production date .
The 16" is for sure a HBAR  , the 16" has a date code of 3/96 the 20" does not have a date, it just has a 15 stamped in the same area in which the date code would be ,which leaves me stumped for a production date , The ramps are M4 ramps as I put it in a mil spec upper and everything matched great . Neither have the bayonet lug on them  and the 16 has a funny looking compensator on the end of it. The 16" had a Colt alcoa forged upper and carry handle .  Also  Any Colt guys out there have any info for me on the 20" barrel with the number 15 stamping as far as production, barrel model  etc ?
Thanks , Heres a few pics
16" HBAR  carbine

20" rifle length

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#1]
the 16'' comes from a 6731, the muzzle device has been added later by threading the barrel.

I guess the 20'' comes from a R6551.
According to the USGI M16 variation guide Colt started putting a 2 digit lot code by the FSB in 1989 and the mfg date in 1995 , so your barrel must have been manufactured between '89 and '95.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
the 16'' comes from a 6731, the muzzle device has been added later by threading the barrel.

I guess the 20'' comes from a R6551.
According to the USGI M16 variation guide Colt started putting a 2 digit lot code by the FSB in 1989 and the mfg date in 1995 , so your barrel must have been manufactured between '89 and '95.

Thanks Frens , big help to me , thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Frens,
Any idea what they would have for value ? Im keeping the 20" for sure for my dads build and I will probably be unloading the 16" to help pay the way for this build.
Thanks
PH
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top