Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 8:14:37 PM EDT
I have a Stag Model 1.  The barrel is 4150 steel that is chrome lined with a 1 in 7 twist that has been HPT and MPI tested, if that matters.  Being in New Yorkistan, all new firearms we buy have to be "post-ban" compliant.  We can buy, own and/or use any pre-ban firearms made prior to Sept. '94.  So I have a muzzle brake that is threaded on and then is pinned in place, instead of the normal threaded unpinned flash hider that can be easily removed.  I really don't like the muzzle brake.  It's to loud and I just don't care for it.  

First, can a muzzle brake that is pinned on be removed?  If so,  what can I have put on the end of the barrel to make it over 16 inches that won't be a "pre-ban" type flash hider?  Is there another muzzle brake that won't be as loud?  Could it be pinned in place after it is installed?  My barrel would be about 15 5/8 inches long if I have the threaded end cut off and just have the barrel re crowned, so that's not an option.  I can't remove the muzzle brake and just leave the threads exposed.  If there are any threads on the end of the barrel, there has to be a "post-ban" device on it that is pinned or welded in place so it can not be removed.  Anyone have any advice other then moving out of New Yorkistan. . . . .right now anyway's.  I sure hope I can get a "post-ban" compliant Colt AR6720 (Lightweight) when the time comes!

Thanks, NYH.    

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment on replacement muzzle devices that will be legal in NY, but pinned muzzle devices can be removed. ADCO does it, but the muzzle device is destroyed in the process.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be fine.  I wouldn't want to put it back on anyway's.  I'd just like to find one that would work better for me.  Even if I could get a spacer the same diameter as the barrel and long enough to make it the legal length installed and pinned on would be good.  I've never seen anything like that though.  

My first and only other AR15 was a RRA AR15A2 Tasc Rifle (actually a carbine) that had a 16 inch barrel and no muzzle device on the end of it.  That was a nice setup.  Like I said, I can't make this one into that type of setup.  It'd make the barrel length to short.

Thanks for the reply, NYH.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If the barrel is 16 inches long, why not just cut the muzzle brake flush with the crown?
Ask this in your hometown forum.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If the barrel is 16 inches long, why not just cut the muzzle brake flush with the crown?
Ask this in your hometown forum.

I'd like to do that and just have it re crowned but my barrel would only be about 15 5/8 inches long.    

NYH.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Cut part of the brake at the tip of the barrel.
It's not going to look pretty with portion of brake left on the barrel, but at least you won't have to put up with the noise.

There are gunsmiths that can make a custom threaded sleeve to cover the threads and pin it.
With guns anything is possible for a fee.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
what is the length of the barrel with threads?... if 16" you can just have the threads machined off... to remove a blind pinned comp/brake where the pin hole is not through to the other side, it's easier just to turn the diameter of the brake down until the pin is exposed on the blind side, and then drive it out...then you have the problem of pinning a new brake...

not to be a wise ass, but it might be easier to just double up on hearing protection...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:40:38 AM EDT
[#7]

There are fake flash hiders out there.  I just did a quick search and saw info but nothing worth posting.

It will take some research but they are out there.

I am actually considering a muzzle brake because my Colt match rifle looks so naked without anything.

I just purchased the Troy Medieval Brake but have second thoughts.

Maybe I too will pursue a fake flash hider.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
If the noise/blast is your biggest gripe with the brake, have the center of the brake drilled/reamed out to a larger diameter so that more of the blast goes forward. It would be a simple job if the barrel was removed and chucked up in a lathe. I suppose you could do it in a drill press but it would be a little less concentric. You'd still have a brake, only a lot less effective but a lot quieter.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#9]
You can only replace it with a new pinned and welded muzzle brake. Unless you have a pre ban receiver. Having said that all the brakes are loud...I have at least 7-10 different brakes and you will not like any of them...it will be a total waste of time and money but that is up to you....from a fellow NYorker
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Do yourself a favor and get a preban lower. Going from shooting next to a FSC 556 to a flash hider is so nice. My ears don't feel like they are going to bleed anymore.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I found a few thread protectors that might work exactly how I want them to work.  I have to talk to someone in my area or someone that has a good reputation that I can send it to to have one put on.  

I don't really want to buy a pre-ban rifle/carbine.  I do buy pre-ban USGI magazines then refinish them and change the followers.  I really try to buy new rifles, carbines, pistols and shotguns unless I find a pretty good deal on used ones in really nice condition.  Problem is that every pre-ban AR15 rifle/carbine I've come across has either been shot a lot and are in ruff shape or the owners think they're worth their weight in gold.  To some they might be.  I'd prefer a new one.  My next AR15 firearm is going to be a Colt AR6720 (Lightweight) or LE6920 Carbine or another Colt Carbine that's similar.  I'm definitely going to buy new.

The noise doesn't really bother me that much.  It bothers the ornery old men at the range.  You know the ones that are "pro-gun" until you shoot something that they don't shoot, like or have.  

The "selective pro-gunners" amongst us. . . . ."boy that thing is loud and has a lot of concussion, do you really have to shoot it here". . . . ."I know I'm shooting my 300 Win. Mag., (to shoot deer at 50 to 75 yards) but do you really have to shoot that noise making little 223 Rem./5.56 NATO?"  You know the type!

Thanks guys, NYH.    
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Just take a grinder to the place where the pin is set, but don't go too far there is a barrel under there.  Exposé the pin carefully with the grinder and use some pliers to pull it out.  There are many muzzle devices that will legally extend your barrel to the needed 16 plus range.  I just bought a Spikes that they advertise to do so, but there are many more.  Install new muzzle device and have the new pin welded in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#13]
If you like the standard A2 Bird Cage look? Then, an EGW would work (it's classified as a brake) so you're good to go w/a post ban in NY -
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#14]
The BattleComp and DynaComp are two that come to mind that aren't obnoxiously loud, like most brakes.  I have the DynaComp, and have fired it indoors with just a pair of muffs on.

Adco also has thread protectors, if you don't want a muzzle device at all.  They also offer the services to remove a pinned device, and can perm-attach a new one (or thread protector).

As for the guys complaining at the range; screw 'em.  It's a shooting range.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top