Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 5:46:19 PM EDT
I have been looking for and trying to educate myself on the line of AR rifles. I am looking for a solid and reliable entry level AR, due to the fact I am betting it won't get an extreme amount of use. I think I have narrowed it down to three options: PSA 16'' M4 Premium Carbine,Stag Model 3, or Mossberg MMR. Does anyone have any info that would sway me one way or the other? Any info/insight would be great. Thanks for the help!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of those three, in this order

PSA
Stag

I like Mossberg shotguns, but i would not buy a Moss AR until they are more established in the market.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Of the ones you listed I would say PSA, but that is all I have experience with from your list. However even if you listed Colt, BM, RRA I would still say go with the PSA.  Hard to beat for the money
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure about Mossberg but PSA and Stag have good quality rifles. Can't go wrong!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the price range on those rifles?
How much more would it take to get into a 6920?

If only a little more I would get the 6920.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:59:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The total I have to spend is $1000. This total would include the rifle, 3/4 extra mags, optics/scope, ffl fees, tax, shipping, out the door. I don't think I can get a Colt for that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:02:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Troy at Dicks Sporting goods.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#7]
There is no one good absolute answer to your question. Sort of like asking "what is the best pick up truck to buy?"

I do agree with most everything that has been said here but will throw in my 2cents.

Mossberg-yeah,untill we see how they are don't buy any Mossberg that doesn't take a shotgun shell.

PSA-I have not touched one but most folks here like the product (and we are a picky bunch)

Stag-Solid well known company. Every Stag product I have owned (several rifles,various lowers,uppers and lots of parts have been 100%
         and usually I went Stag because the price was resonable.

Most first time buyers in the AR world end up selling off their first rifle because they want a different AR with a longer/shorter barrel or different features.ARs are so adaptable and approiate for so many different uses that this is the likely turn of events and considering resale value of any AR purchase can be importaint. for this reason alone I would encourage you to look at the Stag over the PSA.

Welcome aboard
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]
My buddy said that WalMart is going to have the Sig M400 marked down for Black Friday for under $900.  I'd consider that above the ones you named.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was about to say PSA when I saw this post.  The Troy at Dick's is an amazing deal, especially for an entry level shooter.  I second the Troy suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The Troy's at Dick's are a pretty amazing deal from what i've seen, but like the others said you can't go wrong with the PSA
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:30:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you thought about a kit? A friend of mine got a Del-Ton kit, and built it himself with a PSA lower.

Kit was $470, and the lower was $50.

And I have seen the gun and shot it, and while it isn't a Noveske, I was surprised at the quality for the price. A PERFECT entry level AR.

http://www.del-ton.com/ar_15_kits_s/1.htm

http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/b19367e1-bb73-46ea-b61d-27f7736cc38b/ar-15-lower-receiver-psa

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:46:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the PSA model you listed and it is worth every penny.
I'm not sure about the Stag, but I was looking at it before the PSA, everyone says that Stag is GTG tho.
I would advise not to get the mossberg. I trust their shotgun market, but they're pretty new to the AR
world.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:11:31 AM EDT
[#13]
If you take the optics/scope out of the equation your choice of rifles greatly increases. The price of optics can easily out pace the price of the AR.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:20:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Any info/insight would be great. Thanks for the help!!

read the faq at top, that will give you more insight than a bunch of opinions

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The total I have to spend is $1000. This total would include the rifle, 3/4 extra mags, optics/scope, ffl fees, tax, shipping, out the door. I don't think I can get a Colt for that.

Let's see ................... $1,000.00    
                  Extra mags (3 @ $15) ....     - 45.00
                  Scope (cheap) ..............   -175.00
                  FFL fees ........................       -25.00
                  Tax ..............................     - 50.00
                  S&H .............................       -15.00
                  Result ..........................    Good Luck

Your options will be limited.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I think you need to keep educating yourself before you buy and like the poster above said read the tacked thread.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's see ................... $1,000.00    
                  Extra mags (3 @ $15) ....     - 45.00
                  Scope (cheap) ..............   -175.00
                  FFL fees ........................       -25.00
                  Tax ..............................     - 50.00
                  S&H .............................       -15.00
                  Result ..........................    Good Luck

Your options will be limited.

skip the cheap optics and learn to shoot with iron sites for starters. Then save up and get a quality optic when you figure out what you want/need.  That should get you in on budget.
My good friend is going through this very descision right now and he has decided to get the Wimdam Weaponery from Academy or WalMart.  Yes he is paying about $100 more than building a PSA but zero wait time

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#18]
For another $50-$100 you can have a Colt or BCM which ar emuch better rifles than you listed. I would stay away from Mossberg since they are so new and like any new product line it is going to take a while to get the bugs out just like SW ARs when they first came out were questionable now they are a lot better. Stag is a pretty good rifle but for another $150 you could have a Colt 6920 or BCM which would have much higher resale value if you need to sell it. PSA has good specs on their rifles like using FN barrels, etc but their customer service is horrible and they seem to skimp on quality every now and then. If you get one properly assembled and with the correct parts it is OK but quality control is questionable.

Colt can be found between $990 and $1050 at several places but as someone else said if you are trying to buy all that for $1000 that is not going to happen unless you get a POS rifle, a Chinese knock off optic and Thermold mags or used GI mags that have seen multiple deployments.

If it were me I would spend the $1000 on a quality rifle like a Colt or BCM and buy ammo as funds permitted and after learning to shoot the gun stock you will get a better idea of what you actually need compared to what some "expert" tells you that you need or something that looks cool.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Over the years i have seen the flavors change here on which is better or which is best and it's always changing,, The one constant though that stays the same is Colt.  I must admit Stag has stayed pretty consistant on the lower end of the spectrum as a good bang for the buck AR (no pun intended, lol).

I would just go the extra and get the Colt 6920, you will be happy you did in the long run, seriously!  Other than the fact the Colt's been doing this a loooong time, comes with some extra goodies (mags cleaning kit sling), it will retain the highest resale vaule from the investment that you've put in to it.   You can always add accssories and ammo as funds permit and if the bug bites, you will buy extra of these items anyways,  

If you really want the extra mags, optics, and ammo with the funds you have on hand, then get the Stag.  I have ran thousands of rounds through one (even with the wierd BC key staking they use to do ) and it's held up fine.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was about to say PSA when I saw this post.  The Troy at Dick's is an amazing deal, especially for an entry level shooter.  I second the Troy suggestion.

Looked at the Troy 799 is great deal, but the three they had in stock none of them would drop pmags.  Guess if that doesnt matter to you Troy is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Look at the smith and wesson m and p 15. I have one with a nikon 3 power scope.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Colt 6920 with Aimpoint
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#23]
of your 3, the PSA.

the Stag is a decent gun too
...........................if I had had this forum when i went to buy my first, I would have bought a Colt 6920.

I just bought a 6920 last weekend
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Spikes Tactical Midlength for $799 at Aim Surplus.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#25]
AIM has complete Spike's Midlength rifles in stock now.

Spike's 16" Midlength complete rifle

Edit: Medicfrost beat me to it but I provided the link.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Well that PSA looks to be out of stock now (like most of their models). I don't know if I will hold out for them to restock or go with the stag. My local gun shop is getting one of the Stag model 3 rifles in in a couple of days. Price for rifle tax and ffl fees is $840. He has a last year model scope on clearance (can't remember the brand) but its like a $170 scope (3x9-50 if I remember correctly) on sale for $89. Mags should run about $15 a piece for pmags. All this totals right about $990 if my math is correct. So yes, I guess an entry level AR plus some add ons can be had for under $1000.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

AIM has complete Spike's Midlength rifles in stock now.

Spike's 16" Midlength complete rifle

Edit: Medicfrost beat me to it but I provided the link.

This, without a doubt

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll vote with the PPs who suggest buying a better rifle with irons; go for mags and ammo as you can afford it.
Colt, among others, will command more money if you need to sell it or just aren't as happy with the concept as you thought.
Moon
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top