Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2012 4:06:30 AM EDT
I'm a 22 year Army Veteran, MP..Carried the M16-A1, A2 and M4 Carbine..  
Not new to firearms... have had my share..
Just recently traded my Springfield Armory 1911 and some ammo for
the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport.. with all the add-ons..
Came with Quad Rail, Vertical Grip, Laser/ Flashlight combo and Hogue Grip. with 220 rnds of .223..

Feel it was a good deal.. and hear good things about the MP15..
Hope to make some friends..and learn more about the AR Platform.. add-ons..what I need.. don't need..

So let's start by quad rails.. what's a good one/ affordable that doesn't move around when you manipulate the vertical grip.. ?

Is the laser necessary? should I ditch it .. for just a flashlight?
Thanks in advance..
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I reccomend you read the stickies at the top, lots of info

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.. Will do..
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
does the current quad rail move around?
My Seekins Precision rail feels pretty solid and its rifle length (12")
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes..it seems to be made of Plastic.. when I grip the vertical grip... I feel the quad rails moving around slightly..and with a laser mount.. i wouldn't suspect that's a good thing..
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Upload pics to photo bucket and you can link them here. That will give a better idea of what you have. And yes, I'd go light over laser. Welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a pic of the Quad Rail.. and front end of the rifle..
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s619/ctr1970/2012-11-15_08-27-31_387.jpg
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I would look at the MI Gen 2 drop ins, or even a DD drop in set. The laser isn't a necessity but isn't altogether bad either, mostly a preference thing. I like the Magpul AFG better than most VFG's but again thats preference. I would say strip all the extras off, get a quad rail you like (or hand guard in general, doesn't have to be a rail) and then add as you deem necessary. A light of some sort is a must for most on here, I like the M300 Scout from Surefire on a Thorntail mount, YMMV. Otherwise, nice rifle, and welcome
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are looking for a good non free float, I'd just pick up a knights armament ras. You can find them off ebay or in the EE. They can be found for less than $100. The easiest free float I can think of would be the Daniel Defense Omega series.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want magpul hand guards work great also and can still mount all kinds of stuff if ya want.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#11]
So what's with the Magpul AFG grip? does it actually feel better? I don't like how far the vertical grip comes down..so I'd be open to swapping it out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Does the Magpul AFG actually feel better than the Vertical grip? Just curious..before I go swapping it out..what's everyones take on it that used the traditional vertical to Magpul's AFG?
I can see how it makes your hand fit more naturally under the handguard...
Seems to be a good price on Ebay also... for Magpul's AFG2 for around $23.00 shipped.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
that quality of your accessories is suspect, like stuff off of amazon.  It's hard to tell since all of that is designed to look like the good stuff.

But the first accessory i'd buy is a sling, you appear to be missing one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I personally like the afg2 over a traditional vertical foregrip.  I feel like you can get your hand around the handguard better, which in turn gives you more control.  Beware of airsoft replicas on ebay or other places.  Be sure that what you are buying is in fact for an AR15 and not a cheaper version made for a toy gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks all for the input. I traded my pistol for this rifle. The bells and whistles are not my first choice, but they are good for bartering and trading for what I really want to do. I will most likely keep the flashlight/ laser combo and quadrail....
but will most definately purchase the AFG2 from my local gun shop. They carry all Magpul products and keep them in stock.

All I was looking for in this rifle was a good starting point, I feel I got that.

One more thing, I do have a sling for it, its a Military issue 3 point sling... but need to order the mounts for it...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So let's start by quad rails.. what's a good one/ affordable that doesn't move around when you manipulate the vertical grip.. ?

Is the laser necessary? should I ditch it .. for just a flashlight?
Thanks in advance..

Knight's Armament RAS.
It's a good set of quad rails and very affordable these days.
Look in the EE they can be found all the time as used, or like new condition.
Do not pay more that $150 for a set. Seconds can be bought directly from Knight's for that amount. Most report's say no flaws can be found on the factory seconds.

The laser flashlight thingey.... Find a better replacement and ditch it first chance you get.

The AFG 1/2 isn't for everyone. You can find them used in the EE for cheap. It spares you from paying full retail, and sales tax, on a product you might not even like.
Find a fellow shooter who has one you can try out... You can find those in the hometown sub forums.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I got a set of UTG rails on mine and they fit tight and don't move. I got them at a cheap price from a buddy of mine who was clearing out his safe and thought I would give them a try and glad I did. I also noticed on my M&P Sport that the trigger guard is molded/part of the lower receiver. It feels nice and does not rub/abrade my middle finger when gripping it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top