Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:11:05 PM EDT
What is the purpose of the tapped holes in the rail?  

Thinking about replacing the threaded screw in the tripod ball mount below with a screw already compatible with the rail but want to know what they were original intended for.  

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Seems like I will be able to lock directly onto the quick release plate and save the need for a mount.  MRP just keeps on giving.

Another option I just came across:

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Kind of a vestigial thing really. KAC/LMT have always worked together and the threaded holes were another method of mounting things to the rail that weren't already weaver or M1913. The thread size is 1/4" - 20 TPI. The only thing I can think of that the US Mil used/use that attached to them is the SOPMOD M203 leaf sight. KAC made/makes a direct attach PEQ/PAQ mount, and I believe a sling swivel that fit in those holes. I have seen people direct mount a harris bipod to the rail by removing the attachment mech. and attaching it with the proper size screw and washer.
Dustin
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Kind of a vestigial thing really. KAC/LMT have always worked together and the threaded holes were another method of mounting things to the rail that weren't already weaver or M1913. The thread size is 1/4" - 20 TPI. The only thing I can think of that the US Mil used/use that attached to them is the SOPMOD M203 leaf sight. KAC made/makes a direct attach PEQ/PAQ mount, and I believe a sling swivel that fit in those holes. I have seen people direct mount a harris bipod to the rail by removing the attachment mech. and attaching it with the proper size screw and washer.
Dustin

Excellent info.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It just so happens that 1/4-20 is the standard thread for cameras as well.  Plan to let some kids take their first shots with this set up (300blk subs) soon.

So far have only spent just under $50 on the tripod and just over $50 on a more robust ball head (pictured earlier up)  that is on the way.  

Believe the plate on the ball head mount is aluminum.... could use a slightly longer screw also.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
"Say cheese."
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part of the manufacturing jig/process.  

This simple explanation is correct.  It doesn't mean you can't screw things in and hang Christmas lights off your rail though.....

How long do the batteries last?  Single color or multi color.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top