Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2012 3:03:10 PM EDT
I know almost nothing about AR's. I just use it for varmint hunting but never really got into them enough to learn about the innards, etc.

That said, I noticed this today while cleaning and it definitely looks wrong.

Is anyone able to tell me what is causing this?  Being ignorant to AR's, I may be doing something wrong that is causing this damage.

Thanks guys

Edit:  after looking at it, Im pretty sure its from hitting the bolt release on mag changes.  Isn't that how it's supposed to be done?  

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could help, maybe move this over to the troubleshooting forum. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like bondo.

The bolt / carrier can strike the bolt catch if the lower is opened up and closed with the bolt forward. Normally, when you charge the carrier it just slips off the catch.

Some companies have an extra milling area underneath on the carrier. That extra notch can lock up the gun and it will make charging the charging handle difficult. Perhaps you have one of those milled AR15 carriers.

The lower one is an M16 carrier the other is an AR15 carrier. The AR15 carrier sometimes has that little extra milled area like shown. Sometimes it will cause the gun to jam when the upper & lower is closed together when the bolt is forward.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]
That's wear from the bolt lugs. Your bolt catch is likely not hardened, it should not wear that way. What brand is the rifle?

You should replace the bolt catch with a mil-spec part.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.

Im screwing with it right now.  It's a RRA Varminter if that matters.

With an empty mag, the damaged part (bolt catch) moves up and locks the bolt back like normal.  If I drop the empty mag and insert one with rounds in it, when I pull on the charging handle (with no spring tension until the last half inch because the bolt is already back), the bolt catch drops down and allows the charging handle to be slammed forward without grinding on the catch.

It seems like everything is working correctly, but it is just damaging it every time I use the bolt release.  Seems like a weak link.

TexasRifleman, Do you think you can you recommend a new bolt catch for me?

Thanks

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#5]
PK Firearms
Order a new roll pin, bolt catch, and bolt catch spring.
Under $20 bucks with the shipping.

Category:    Lower Small Parts

Bolt Catch
Our Price:each$8.00

Bolt Catch Buffer spring
Our Price:each$2.00

Bolt Catch Roll Pin
Our Price:each$1.00
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Before you spend any money, send that pic to RRA.
That should not be happening.

How old is the rifle, and how long ago did you notice that?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PK Firearms
Order a new roll pin, bolt catch, and bolt catch spring.
Under $20 bucks with the shipping.

Category:    Lower Small Parts

Bolt Catch
Our Price:each$8.00

Bolt Catch Buffer spring
Our Price:each$2.00

Bolt Catch Roll Pin
Our Price:each$1.00

This is slightly cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This. Contact RRA.

If its a factory rifle they will take care of you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA will replace it. Go to the Industry forum and contact the rep for RRA.
Dave N
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Had the same issue with a CMMG catch.  I replaced mine with a DPMS and it seems to have solved the problem.  The CMMG had a little play in its fit which made it even worse.  The DPMS is just slightly thinker in the slot and that took the wiggle out of it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Contact RRA.

This. They will fix you up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Contact RRA.

This. They will fix you up.

Cool, I sent him a message right after I posted my original post.  

The rifle has about 150-200 rounds through it...MAYBE.  I sighted it in last year and shot about 50 rock chucks with it last spring. no target shooting, no plinking.  Just those rock chucks.

I really appreciate the help guys.  This place has always been good to me.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I am just spitballing here but is it possible that the bottom of the catch (simulating an empty mag) was being pressed in while the gun was being fired causing it to impact the bolt catch like that during a firing cycle?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Okay..found the thread in question.
The bolt catch is a "mil-spec" part, so that really isn't a considearion of in or out of the mil-spec, but the individual part itself may have an issue.
Please contact Customer Service at 866-980-7625 and ask for Technical.  We can issue a return authorization for the rifle (we can find what is/did cause it and take care of it if it something beyond just a defective catch).
Steve/RRA

Good to see such fast CS. RRA  just jumped another notch up in my mind.
I will remember Steve at RRA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Look like a new bolt catch will be need down the road. If its not broken dont fix it. Get a new one for when the time comes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Never mind - wrong forum.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Okay..found the thread in question.
The bolt catch is a "mil-spec" part, so that really isn't a considearion of in or out of the mil-spec, but the individual part itself may have an issue.
Please contact Customer Service at 866-980-7625 and ask for Technical.  We can issue a return authorization for the rifle (we can find what is/did cause it and take care of it if it something beyond just a defective catch).
Steve/RRA

I appreciate the response. I didn't really want to send the whole rifle in just to replace a little part, so  I had the part replaced today by a smith.  He said he's never seen that happen before but everything else looked good.  If it happens again, I'll be sure to let you guys check it out.  I really appreciate the offer to ship it back, it was very nice of you.

Tom
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top