Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2012 10:11:00 PM EDT
I have a left-handed A2 upper receiver, with 20" barrel, which is stamped with a 5-digit number "953xx-1 2" on the right side.  It has a DPMS free-float hand tube, and came to me mounted on an early DPMS lower (S/N 12xxK), reportedly assembled from DPMS parts, in DPMS' days in Becker, MN (maybe late 1990's?  The "95xxx" might be a year+ 3-digit serial).  I sent a note to DMPS to help ID the upper, but they reported that their uppers are unserialized.

Anybody know who might have stamped their A2 uppers in the 90,000 range, in the late 90's or so?

-Whitman
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't think DPMS made left handed uppers; if they do now, they didn't back then.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
DPMS made the first left hand uppers.  They are not a refined mirror image like the newer Stags are, but rather a RH model milled for lefty parts. I'm not sure when they started, but they had lefty uppers in the early 2000s.  The "K" in your serial number indicates that i was sold as a stripped lower by DPMS.  do you have a picture of the upper's "serial number" as well as the entire upper?  For all intents and purposes nobody serials upper.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:04:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna guess that maybe it's a cage code?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
DPMS made the first left hand uppers.  They are not a refined mirror image like the newer Stags are, but rather a RH model milled for lefty parts.

Oh, yeah, I remember those.

I believe that number is a forging number.  Normally, that area would be milled away when they opened up the ejection port... but they don't (on that side) on that rifle, so the number is still there.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#6]
yup, looks like some die numbers from the forging process.  looks like an entire DPMS "kit gun". DPMS sold a ton of AR rifle "kits" both with and without a stripped lower in the mid to late 90s and early to mid 2000s.  yours looks like a forged lower, so is of post '94 ban manufacture.  Does it have a "round" or "notched" hammer?

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, advntrjnky and eodinert.  It's a notched hammer.
When did DPMS switch to rounded?

BTW, I'm using a RRA 2-stage now.  The DPMS trigger group with notched hammer was 13 lbs., with a long pull.

http://www.specialgreen.com/img/hammer.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top