Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2012 4:59:15 PM EDT
Build Specs:

- Palmetto State Armory Mid-Length A2 Profile Premium, 16'' CMV Chrome-Lined Stripped Upper
- Spikes Tactical M16 Full Auto Bolt Carrier Group
- Palmetto State Armory Premium Classic Lower Build Kit
- Palmetto State Armory Lower Receiver
- Palmetto State Armory Forged T7075 charging handle
- 20 Round MagPul P-Mag
- Troy BattleSight Rear, Fixed

Also since I took this picture I have removed the sling. This whole setup weighed right at 7.2lbs with magazine and the sling so without a magazine in it it may be right around 7.0lbs dead even. I was looking at options to help lighten it up. Other than the obvious get a pencil barrel (or upper cheaper when the go on sale) and save 4oz., which I don't really know if it would be worth it as far as how it will affect muzzle climb. What options are out there that are cost effective and DO NOT hurt reliability? I would also like to stay with a mid-length setup as I feel it runs much cooler and maybe a little less dirty and doesn't cost much in weight.

All opinions appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed, reprofile the barrel. Might also consider changing the hand guards to something a little lighter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Throw a SOPMOD or other heavier stock on there to help it balance better and "feel" lighter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Magpul handguards and rear flip up? Other than that just a lighter barrel prob your only option
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It's already light in its current config. How much weight do you realistically think you are going save over what you already have?
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's already light in its current config. How much weight do you realistically think you are going save over what you already have?

Agreed.  Fully loaded (red-dot, white light, sling, 30rd mag) should easily get you to 10lbs (which is absolutely fine).  At that point, its more about balance and ergonomics which is why I'd recommend adding a heavier stock to help it feel lighter, and quicker handling...
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Throw a SOPMOD or other heavier stock on there to help it balance better and "feel" lighter.

This or a heavy buffer. I went on a parts swapping frenzy on my two lowers swapping stocks grips and buffers cause I couldn't figure out why one felt so much lighter on the gun.. It ended up being the spikes t-2 buffer. Yes it actually made the gun heavier but it felt like a half pound lighter atleast cause it balanced it out so much better.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Really 7 pounds is not very heavy at all for a rifle. If there was a ton of optics and flashlights and stuff I would have suggested taking some of it off. But your weapon looks KISS already. Other than getting your barrel re-profiled to be lighter, there isn't much else you can do. If it is an HBAR barrel, then turning into a pencil barrel will save you about a pound of weight. But 6 pounds is about as light as you are going to get with an AR-15 rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Magpul MOE adjustable buttstock. Light and no rattles at all. My M4gery has a light profile carbine length barrel as well. A2 upper it is lighter than my AK UF or my AK74. Even with 30 rounds feels light as a feather. Shoots real nice too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
All right thank you all for the information and opinions, I don't have any complaints about the weight but just wondered if there were any options I was not aware of at this time. Is the MOE stock any lighter than the standard M4 stock? I can't imagine it is and the difference would be negligible if it is.

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again I find myself echoing your thoughts....

+1

You COULD have the barrel turned down to .625, replace the handguard/front/sight with lightweight tubular one and replace the buttstock with a CAR stock, but you have to ask yourself if it'd be worth it for a half pound.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

The only thing i thought of was a 14.5 cut. Take into consideration the distribution of the weight. Weight on the end of the barrel might be X.Xoz, but with leverage taken into account it feels like more.

Realistically, get stronger. That's about as light as a rifle gets.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a 7.5" barrel
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
.625 barrel contour with an MI SS gen 2 rail (or carbon fiber hand guard) and low profile gas block should save a bit. After that you pretty much have to get out a mill and start shaving stuff.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#17]

^ doing something like that might help...
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#18]
You could take a little weight off by using Magpul carbiine hand guard and MOE stock. Maybe even the MBUS rear sight. Other than that, you are pretty featherweight as is.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Take off the hand guards, D-ring, and remove the front hand guard backet.  Wear a kitchen mit on front hand while firing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Send me your rifle and I will get you this in return problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#21]
People are real douchebags on here if you want anything light. Here are some helpful answers.

Get a heavier buffer/stock, but don't get a longer stock or it'll feel heavier. Weight close is light, weight far away is heavy. Leverage. I see your stock is quite extended. Try shooting it fully collapsed. Nose to charging handle. Shorter is lighter.

Contour the barrel down will save a lot. Chop it to 14.7 or 14.5 while you're at it. You can go down to .625, .575, .560 or even .550 contour.

Get rid of the front sight post and get a carbon tube, or an NSR rail, with a low profile gas block (.625 of course).

Get front and rear MBUS. Better yet, just put on a H1/T1/RMR on the back and forget irons.

Do this and it'll be very, very light.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Do those handguards have double heat sheilds? if so you that may be effecting the rifles balance.. A set of old fashioned tapering hand guards with a single set of heat sheilds would reduce weight and the feeling of the gun being front heavy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Take off the hand guards, D-ring, and remove the front hand guard backet.  Wear a kitchen mit on front hand while firing.

Hahaha I almost spit my drink out, that's the best idea I've heard so far.

Guys I'm not saying the rifle I have built is heavy at all, I was just looking at suggestions for saving a few ounces here or there.

It actually feels pretty balanced to me as it is but yes it does have the double heat shields.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 3:05:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahaha I almost spit my drink out, that's the best idea I've heard so far.

Guys I'm not saying the rifle I have built is heavy at all, I was just looking at suggestions for saving a few ounces here or there.

It actually feels pretty balanced to me as it is but yes it does have the double heat shields.

Losing a few ounces at the cost of losing practical capability isn't really worth it.  For example, the sling isn't really dead weight.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

^ doing something like that might help...

Yup..... rifle can't weight much more than 7-8 pounds.

Are you just trying to make it as light as possible or do you actually carry it around all day and need it lighter?
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes.

One of my uncles weighed 140 in WWII and carried a 20+ pound BAR and ammo/gear from Normandy to Berlin. But he was a farm boy and was used to lifting and working so the heaviest thing for him growing up wasn't a game controller.

All of these complaints about the weight of a AR makes me wonder WTF has happened.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:27:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

The only thing i thought of was a 14.5 cut. Take into consideration the distribution of the weight. Weight on the end of the barrel might be X.Xoz, but with leverage taken into account it feels like more.

Realistically, get stronger. That's about as light as a rifle gets.

It is not an expensive carbine, which is why I didn't throw out the idea of cutting the barrel and re-profiling.  You are correct that a lighter barrel chopped down, or even going the SBR route would be lighter.  

Weight to cost savings?  Ehhhhh, probably not worth it, at least not to me.  Then again I've got more than my fair share of AR15s....

Could not agree with you more.
As usual.

I'd throw a MOE hand-guard on there and call it a day.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:37:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Man some of you all are sure on a high horse it seems.

As this is the third time I'm posting this...I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE WEIGHT OF THIS RIFLE.

I was looking at any suggestions that I may have been unaware of to save a few ounces here or there that would not hurt reliability.

And as for the game controller comment you can kiss my sweet little ass, look at where I'm from. This farm-boy probably did more work the last 5 years with his hands than you have your entire life.

There doesn't appear to be anything I missed in saving weight from the few suggestions so I can tell this has run it's course, thank you to those that did actually make suggestions with different products and theories. It is much appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As this is the third time I'm posting this...I AM NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE WEIGHT OF THIS RIFLE.

I was looking at any suggestions that I may have been unaware of to save a few ounces here or there that would not hurt reliability.

And as for the game controller comment you can kiss my sweet little ass, look at where I'm from. This farm-boy probably did more work the last 5 years with his hands than you have your entire life.

There doesn't appear to be anything I missed in saving weight from the few suggestions so I can tell this has run it's course, thank you to those that did actually make suggestions with different products and theories. It is much appreciated!

There's actually quite a bit of weight to lose without loss of capability. Did you read my post?

And yeah, it's like lightweight questions on this board are translated into 'how big is your epenis.'
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You would lose that bet tough guy.

I also grew up working my grandfathers farm and worked construction most of the rest of my 57 years. And I don't think my 10.5 pound N.M. AR is too heavy for me even at my age.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn that rifle is light (to me).  My rifles weigh more than that and they are still light to me anyways.  Hell I made them heavier by adding MAgpul PRS stocks to them and other added goodies.  Seriously, if that's heavy to you I'd suggest working out a bit more.  I'm not trying to be sarcastic just offering a good tip.  My wife is quite pleased that my arms have gotten bigger since picking up shooting again after a few year absence from it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes.

One of my uncles weighed 140 in WWII and carried a 20+ pound BAR and ammo/gear from Normandy to Berlin. But he was a farm boy and was used to lifting and working so the heaviest thing for him growing up wasn't a game controller.

All of these complaints about the weight of a AR makes me wonder WTF has happened.

He carried a 20+ lb BAR because that's what was available back then. Stoner designed the AR to be LW for the grunt that was used to carrying those heavy small arms. Grunts today still carry 20+ lb weapons without too much complaint. It's not about lifting weights or who works more on their farm. Those of us who are fit & have carried/do carry gear in the field still wouldn't complain about light weapons. Doesn't matter the generation.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#33]
A free float modular rail from Midwest or Samson with a flip front sight will be significantly lighter than the standard handguards and front sight/gas block. Add in a barrel reprofile and the difference would be pretty significant.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I was just kidding around with the kitchen mit joke..You are starting out with a pretty light rifle as is and from here most avenues of approach to lighten her up is going to be a cost-benifit analysis depedant on what you plan to use the rifle for.  You can switch out the FSB with a low pro one and throw on some light polymer MAGPUL irons with any light wieght FF tube with a toprail.  You can get lightweight BCG and barrel fluting done but you gotta ask if its really worth the cash.  Other than some kind of minimalist buttstock which will probably be annoying I think a FF tube and losing the FSB is your best bet cost/benifit wise because your rifle is already pretty slimmed out.

Ignore the guys saying your not a man if you want a light rifle...On my last deployment I got stuck carrying the 249 with a total of 2,000 rounds for a good while..poor 240B gunner had it worse carrying 1000 rounds of M80.  We all wanted M4's with nothing but irons on em.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
People are real douchebags on here if you want anything light.

BIG + 1
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

He carried a 20+ lb BAR because that's what was available back then. Stoner designed the AR to be LW for the grunt that was used to carrying those heavy small arms. Grunts today still carry 20+ lb weapons without too much complaint. It's not about lifting weights or who works more on their farm. Those of us who are fit & have carried/do carry gear in the field still wouldn't complain about light weapons. Doesn't matter the generation.

I think the generation does matter, a lot.

But I'll stop there, that's another topic.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Samson 7" free float rail
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

I think the generation does matter, a lot.

But I'll stop there, that's another topic.

This generation carries twice as much weight into combat as your grampa did. This generation respects your grampa for what he did but doesn't think it gives you a right to whine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top