Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2012 5:11:45 PM EDT
I am looking for a new AR15 in 5.56 I just sold a dpms and I am now wanting a spikes I think from everything I have been reading they are unbeatable for the price. The question I have is where the heck can I get one every site I have tried to go to they are out of stock. I did find them on DSG and I can buy a upper and lower seperately. I am still a little new to all this so another question is are these upper and lowers ready to be put together and head to the range or do I gotta buy more stuff to just go shoot it. Last question is whats the difference in the 16" mid-length upper and the 16" carbine upper. These may be dumb questions but I figure most of yall know lot more than me any info will be helpfull BTW im looking to spend less than $900.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Check AIM Surplus and Joe Bob Outfitters.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Midlength is a longer gas system than a carbine gas system and midlength gas system is more of a correct length for a 16" barrel. A carbine gas system is more suited for barrel lengths under 14.5". Other benefits of a midlength gas system is a longer sight radius if using a FSB and supposedly smoother felt recoil.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
To answer your other question, yes they should snap together and be ready to shoot. Make sure that your upper comes with a BCG (bolt carrier group) and charging handle. In some packages they are sold separately. I'm not sure which upper you're looking at, but you may need sights as well.

One more thing, the lower is considered the actual rifle, so you will need that part shipped to a FFL. The upper can be shipped right to your door.

Spikes is good stuff from the few I've handled. PSA is also another high quality brand in that price range. I'd feel comfortable with either.

Konger.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
DSG has the spikes upper but not the lower but if you buy this upper and this lower and attach a rear sight you will have a complete rifle, And a damn fine rifle IMO. the Rainier arms lower is very nice and includes a IMOD stock!
Spikes upper

Ranier Arms lower

Site

Here is my recent BCM upper on a Ranier arms lower rifle

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
sorry for all the questions guys but here is one more on that 16" mid length barrel it has the front sight I am wanting to put a scope or holograph right on the top rail will I be looking right at the front sight or is it removable? I dont want to have to put anything to make the scope sit higher be cause my son will also be shooting this gun and he will not be able to see through the scope if I have to raise it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking through the scope the front site will  appear as a shadow and will not interfere with sighting it in.  If you choose a red dot you will line up the red dot with the front site. Either way the fixed front site is not a issue.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
what does this stand for •ST CHF Enhanced  when talking about the upper
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what does this stand for •ST CHF Enhanced  when talking about the upper

CHF is hammer forged if it is refering to the barrel. CHF can make a more accurate, durable barrel. But that is for another debate.

In the price range you specified you will have a hard time finding a better upper than the spikes that you first inquired about.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
IS the front sight removable on a spikes 16" mid length upper
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IS the front sight removable on a spikes 16" mid length upper

Yes,  They are held in by two taper pins you can hammer out.  However, the front sight also servers as the gas block.  So if you remove it you will have to replace it with a low profile gas block.  Alternatively you can cut the front sight down.  

Instructions on how to cut down an FSB

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top