Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2012 6:31:28 PM EDT
what is the difference in a "standard lined HP" and a "hammer-forged barrel"

do they both shoot the same?  one may last longer than the other ? or ....?

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you plan to shoot a whole hell of alot of rounds the standard is fine.

Hammer forged barrels are touted as more durable, and sometimes more accurate.

It just depends on if you think its worth the extra money.

BCM standard barrels are top notch, so are the hammer forged.

You can search for threads on hammer forged barrels for tons of reading and debating.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have barrels that are standard and I have hammer forged barrels.
If you took 12 of each and didn't stamp which is which, 99.9% of the owners couldn't identify which is which.
Once the hammer forge equipment is owned, it is a cheaper, quicker, easier way of making barrels.
Personally, I do not care if my barrels are hammer forged or not, my Noveskes are hammer forged as are some of my FN-FAL barrels.
It is the current fad, is an old process that was in favor in Europe many years back, again easier and cheaper way to make barrels.
Supposedly a hammer forged barrel will last longer, look at BCM filthy 14, oh yeah, it's not hammer forged is it?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the less expensive standard bbl.  When the price of the hammer forged drops to the same price as STD bbl it might be worth getting.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of each.....hell if I can tell the difference shooting them. My BCM stainless barreled RECCE......thats a different story
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top