Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2012 10:46:27 AM EDT
So I tried searching with little luck. Tell me about New Frontier Armory LW-15's. A buddy stumbled across it at Gun Shackand pointed it out to me. I took a look at their site and it looks interesting, but maybe too good to be true.

Who has one? What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I tried searching with little luck. Tell me about New Frontier Armory LW-15's. A buddy stumbled across it at Gun Shackand pointed it out to me. I took a look at their site and it looks interesting, but maybe too good to be true.

I just picked one up this weekend for a 22LR build I'm putting together for my kiddo:

Observations:   The stock parts are plastic.  EVERYTHING.   Pins, detents, hammer, trigger, disconnector, safety.   I couldn't abide, so I swapped for a "real" set of internals –– and had to swap the pins as well as they were oversize to my milspec hammer.  I had to order a selector detent as my steel selector boogered the plastic detent that the thing came with straight away.

Beyond that, seems to be well made and the mag well fits regular and 22LR mags very well.  I'm not sure I'd ever convince myself to run one with 5.56, but for a 22LR build the price was certainly right.

Had I do to it again, I'd save another $20 and get the truly stripped lower and populate it with a "real" milspec LPK.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Basically there are two camps:

pro: I have one, it was cheap and has not broken
con: a straight copy of an AR15 lower does not translate well into plastic and may break, some plum crazy lowers, which are the same mold, broke
pro rebuttal: the picture of a plum crazy that broke looks like it was mashed in a vice, NFA uses different plastic than plum crazy and none have been reported broken.

I have one sitting at a gunshop to try out, but personally I think a forged lower is so cheap right now I would not bother with one except for it being for shits and giggles for the site, but who knows

^^^^^
What Aimless has done is nothing short of extraordinary.  
Believe it or not he has just summed up multiple threads spanning multiple pages worth of arguing back and forth, and he has done so nearly word-for-word in one post.

This is your answer^^^
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought two one for a 22lr upper and one for a 7.62x39 light wight hunter. The 7.62 seems to be working fine after about 200 rounds. Had to replace the FCG for the 22lr the plastic hammer is larger and would not work with the narrow channel in the 22 bolt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I got their AR pistol lower and slapped on a 7" upper and already spent more money shooting 5.56 rounds than the cost of the pistol lower without any issues. Even shot 700 rounds of .22 with a bolt conversion too. Going to buy another poly for a 2nd pistol build soon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one that I've used with both a 5.56 and a 22LR upper. It has worked fine with both, but I've recently dedicated it for use with the 22LR upper.

I think it would be interesting if we all chipped in a few bucks and bought one for Aimless to do a long term evaluation. I'm in for $5. Only $95 more to go...
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have one that I've used with both a 5.56 and a 22LR upper. It has worked fine with both, but I've recently dedicated it for use with the 22LR upper.

I think it would be interesting if we all chipped in a few bucks and bought one for Aimless to do a long term evaluation. I'm in for $5. Only $95 more to go...

I think if they were serious, NFA would send one his way for a proper evaluation. Or at the very least, join the site.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want to slap an upper on it as-is and have a complete AR.... it is a good deal (where else can you get a complete AR lower for $99?). Trigger feels ok, but the polymer pins scare me. Other than that, it seems ok.

If you want to buy it and put a different stock, LPK, and grip on it.... it is not a good value. You could just buy an aluminum lower for that purpose and actually save a few bucks.

The factory hammer is too wide to clear some 9mmm bolt carriers.

I have been considering one of these and seeing if I can break it under normal use.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think if they were serious, NFA would send one his way for a proper evaluation. Or at the very least, join the site.

Join the site? They are in the industry section here: ARFCOM NEW FRONTIER

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Join the site? They are in the industry section here: ARFCOM NEW FRONTIER

I guess I should have looked beyond manufacturers. My bad.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
i got 1200 rounds on mine then i built a billet lower and haven't used it since.

about the cheapest you can get for a budget build slap a psa or delton upper and whatever bcg in it and your shooting for around $500.

throw it in the trunk beat the snot out of it and you won't cry when it gets scratched like a billet lower
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two for a couple of lightweight builds.  From .22 LR to .458 SOCOM, so far so good. PROs for me is their light weight.  Cost might be a pro for some, but I got them for the weight reduction, period.  Cons:  One, I do not like the molded in trigger guard.  You can change that if you are good with files and saws and a Dremel.  Otherwise you are stuck with it.  Two, and this has supposedly been corrected, the pivot pin can come out completely quite easily.  To remove the pivot pin you take it out about 1/4 inch and rotate it 90 degrees.  It then can be withdrawn completely.  Well, you can do it inadvertently also.  Mine pulled completely out when taking the uppers off.  The fix was simple enough for me, a steel detent and a steel pivot pin.  End of story.  NFA has addressed this issue with an upgrade but I am not familiar with what their fix is. Personally I did not like the trigger and it was heavier than advertised.  Both broke at 5 3/4 pounds, not the 4.5 advertised (I think it was 4.5, might have been 4.75).  Anyway, I did not like the way it sounded (petty I know) and all my other rifles use RR NM 2S triggers so I dropped one in these lowers also.  Other than not liking the trigger (but it worked and was very crisp with no creep or over travel) and the pivot pin coming out, I have no complaints.  It makes for a very lightweight build with my 5.56 with 16 inch Wilson LW barrel, MI 15 inch Gen 2 SS handguard and MP CTR stock and mil-spec VLTOR buffer tube, topped off with TROY BUIS sights it comes in with a 20R Lancer AWM mag at 6.66 pounds.
The .458 SOCOM should be lighter since it will be the similar profiled barrel but with a .458 hole in it.
I am sure there will be more in the evolution of polymer based AR lowers, but it seems so far that NFA has fixed some of the issues the PC lowers had.  We'll see how they do in the long run and if there are shortcomings, I'm sure well see another polymer lower by someone else or a redesign of these.  Either way I think they are here to stay.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#13]
They're $110 now...Supposedly due to the new Gen II upgrades

And I believe they'll send you a skinny hammer for your 9mm and 22lr needs...

~WTS
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They're $110 now...Supposedly due to the new Gen II upgrades

And I believe they'll send you a skinny hammer for your 9mm and 22lr needs...

~WTS

Very good. Was I the first to discover that issue? I started an informational thread about it a while back.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]
My LW-15 stock plastic hammer works fine with my 22LR upper with no modifications. Both of my 22 bolts are the newer CMMG ones. I wonder if that is the difference? Or maybe my LW-15 came with the skinnier hammer installed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I just ordered one of these lowers last night. I found a deal from marksarmory.com for $98.95 shipped using the coupon code NFA for 10% off. I just could not resist any longer at that price. I intend to find a 22lr upper to go with it and build an M&P lower for larger calibers.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

con: a straight copy of an AR15 lower does not translate well into plastic and may break, some plum crazy lowers, which are the same mold, broke
pro rebuttal: the picture of a plum crazy that broke looks like it was mashed in a vice, NFA uses different plastic than plum crazy and none have been reported broken.

I have one sitting at a gunshop to try out, but personally I think a forged lower is so cheap right now I would not bother with one except for it being for shits and giggles for the site, but who knows

I'm looking at a plum crazy lower right now and it doesn't take a degreed arfcom astro rocket mechano engineering expert to tell these things will break pretty easy around the front pivot pins if abused at all.  Over torquing plastic threads on the buffer tube area seems like an equally easy way to destroy one.  All in all its easy to see how an aluminum receiver is a better choice.  I don't regret my purchase but I feel I over payed by at least $30.  Any one who buys one really should be doing it because the price is low.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm looking at a plum crazy lower right now and it doesn't take a degreed arfcom astro rocket mechano engineering expert to tell these things will break pretty easy around the front pivot pins if abused at all.  Over torquing plastic threads on the buffer tube area seems like an equally easy way to destroy one.  All in all its easy to see how an aluminum receiver is a better choice.  I don't regret my purchase but I feel I over payed by at least $30.  Any one who buys one really should be doing it because the price is low.

Well clearly you're no rocket scientist because neither of the failure modes you've described has ever been seen with these lowers. They have been known to crack around the rear takedown pins, but so have Al lowers if sufficiently stressed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought two one for a 22lr upper and one for a 7.62x39 light wight hunter. The 7.62 seems to be working fine after about 200 rounds. Had to replace the FCG for the 22lr the plastic hammer is larger and would not work with the narrow channel in the 22 bolt.

New Frontier Armory stocks thinner hammers for .22lr purposes.  Contact them and they'll get you set up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:00:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Over 800 rounds downrange with mine, no problems. It's gotten me into the AR platform at a price point I could afford.
The trigger is on par for an AR, or so other shooters have told me. Having said that, I'm shopping for an after market upgrade, always the first step in improving a rifle.

All in all, I'm pleased with mine. Would I go this route if $ were no object? Question is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#23]
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7930/arbuild2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Heres my Frontier....i have zero complaints so far, about 200 rounds downrange....lockup is tighter than my forged lowers!
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have one fully assembles and ready for my upper that I've been saving my pennies for all year long. My buddy bought two and appears he's happy except for the little pin and spring that shot out cuz he pulled the assembly pin out too far! Forum members have said just to use a metal one instead of the polymer pin from the factory and based upon my buddies experince I just might do that also. Otherwise for $99 initially and with tax licsense and dealer prep:-0 I walked out the door with it for about $150! That's not bad for a plastic lower!!!! My buddy even bought two to play with. In the near future I'm heading for the last big show in AZ to get a nice upper for it.

Take it from me even if your on a budget anyone can give up $150 for a fully assembles lower ready for fitting to an upper. The savings compard to a metal version would pay for itself. How long it'll last who knows but it's a hobby.

Impala

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#25]
i bought one for a dedicated 22 lr build so the women and kids would have an ar to shoot (primarily my mother and niece) i was honestly surprised by how well the fire control worked. real crisp with virtually no creep. i was real skeptical at first but there are a couple videos on youtube that showed they were pretty tough, one showed the fire control going through 70,000 pulls and resets on a little rig they made. the only metal parts i noticed were the castle nut and buffer assembly, everything else i could see was made out of thier polymer that seemed rugged enough. the only problem i noticed was that it had a really tight fit on the upper, i have to wack the stock lightly after removing the take down pin to seperate the upper from lower. considering it was less than half the price or my completed rock river lower, i like it for my intended use. it would be excellent for a plinker or a really lightweight setup, id be surprised if you didnt think it was well worth the money.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top