Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2012 5:50:27 AM EDT
I just purchased my first AR (an M&P Sport) on Saturday 5-26-12, and Sunday saw an ad for the Rock River Arms Lefty models.  Being a lefty, I'm not sure what to do now.  The RRA is a true Lefty gun (MSRP $1,050), but it's listed as 8.0 lbs. and has a 1/9 barrell.  The M&P has a 1/8 barrell, and I paid $700 - no forward assist or dust cover, but I'm OK with that.
I don't know much about RRA.  I bought the M&P for price, figuring to have some cash left for Magpul furniture and ammo or reloading equip or optics.  Most leftys don't seem to mind shooting AR's right handed, but the RRA is a complete left-hand rifle - very tempting, especially since I'll spend a few bucks over time making the Sport as left-handed as I can.
I'd appreciate some advice on RRA quality, and whether or not a left-hand AR would really be better.
Thanks!

BTW - I will see what the dealer will do since I haven't done anything with the M&P - or my brother may buy it from me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#1]
If I were going to purchase a lefty model I'd be looking to Stag Arms as they have been making lefty AR's for years and it's a time tested product. I'm a lefty, but I've never seriously considered purchasing a lefty AR.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]
i think you'll be fine with the M&P Sport.  i'm a lefty as well, yet i stick with the normal AR.  if you are trully sold on the lefty AR, look in to the Stag.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah do the Stag or step up to the Stag Plus, I love all of mine.  RRA has a tendency to make their stuff exclusively for their platforms too, so that would scare me from their LH AR's.  Just like it did with their 308's, and their upcoming AR-47.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah do the Stag or step up to the Stag Plus, I love all of mine.  RRA has a tendency to make their stuff exclusively for their platforms too, so that would scare me from their LH AR's.  Just like it did with their 308's, and their upcoming AR-47.

This ^^^

Either go with the normal righty or go straight to the Lefty Stag....opt for the Plus upgrade if budget allows.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Like said, either go Stag(for the lefty AR) or S&W for what you're looking for. Stay away from RRA. From what I hear, the S&W Sport is great for the price.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a lefty myself and currently own 7 ARs one is a Stage Left hand the rest are right handed and the rifle I shoot the least is the LH Stag. Nothing wrong with it  just used to shooting the RH guns
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to look very carefully at the RRA LAR-47. I see that as a possible future purchase. I need to see some reports from the field before that happens.

Quoted:

Quoted:

This ^^^

Either go with the normal righty or go straight to the Lefty Stag....opt for the Plus upgrade if budget allows.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i think you'll be fine with the M&P Sport.  i'm a lefty as well, yet i stick with the normal AR. if you are trully sold on the lefty AR, look in to the Stag.

Same. I wouldn't waste my time with an actual left handed AR.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm going to look very carefully at the RRA LAR-47. I see that as a possible future purchase. I need to see some reports from the field before that happens.

Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^

Last I read the upper and lower could not be switched out with other AR 7.62's nor the bcg's and I think it was discovered at SHOT that they wont accept all surplus mags too.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Neither of those are a deal breaker for me as I no longer own anything 7.62 at this point beyond 10k rounds.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This ^^^

Last I read the upper and lower could not be switched out with other AR 7.62's nor the bcg's and I think it was discovered at SHOT that they wont accept all surplus mags too.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think you'll be fine with the M&P Sport.  i'm a lefty as well, yet i stick with the normal AR. if you are trully sold on the lefty AR, look in to the Stag.

Same. There's no reason to own a lefty AR or any lefty firearm except maybe a bolt action (depending on intended use).

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. There's no reason to own a lefty AR or any lefty firearm except maybe a bolt action (depending on intended use).

+1   I have one LH Stag and the rest are all RH.  Even my 3gun rifle is RH and it is used more than any of them.  As long as the upper receiver has a built in brass deflector (the little wedge sticking out behind the ejection port) you are GTG.  I prefer to add an ambi safety.  If you really want a LH get the Stag.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're ar has a brass deflector, getting a left handed ar is pointless...all you need is an ambi charging handle, and a battery assist device. Then your AR will be fully functional for a lefty
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#14]
i run a righty RRA it works great and im a lefty, i got the ambi saftey from bad and the gunfighter large latch charging handle until the ambi one from rainer arms comes out, next im gonna get a ambi mag release. i never have brass hit my face my be my shoulder 1 or 2 times out of 200 rds
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks all for the advice!

I think I'll keep the Sport.  Now to decide between black or OD Green Magpul furniture...

For an ambi saftey - is this easy to do?  Does it matter where you get it or what brand, etc.?
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks all for the advice!

I think I'll keep the Sport.  Now to decide between black or OD Green Magpul furniture...

For an ambi saftey - is this easy to do?  Does it matter where you get it or what brand, etc.?

My personal choice is to install a Stag "lefty" safety. Less than 20 bucks.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
ambi safety is easy, do it when you replace your grip.  See tacked thread on building your own lower.  

I like the ambi because sometimes I will need to shoot weak hand, just easier to have it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Have any of you actually tried running a suppressor left-handed? In my experience with an LMT MRP piston SBR, the gas blowback creates a facial shitshow of epic proportions.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#19]
A local store had a Lefty Stag Piston upper on display.  I was sorely tempted, because if the need ever arises to shoot from the car, the brass goes out the window, rather than bouncing around inside.  Also, in the unlikely event that the upper should ever kaboom, it may help to keep my left handed face intact.  I got myself over the temptation though, because I already have way more gun junk than I can carry.  My Armalite M14 A4 has something around 2,000 rounds thru it, and only once has an ejected shell whizzed thru my beard.  I can live with that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I shoot left handed also.  I was debating the same issue as you were, get a lefty or just modify a regular AR-15.  I decided to stay with the regular because I never had a problem shooting my M16A2 in the Marine Corps, plus there are plenty of aftermarket ambi options out there to get like ambi safety selectors (ambi Bolt Catch Release (Magpul BAD Levers and TROY), ambi magazine releases (TROY), and charging handles now there is no real need for me to go all lefty.  Plus it won't be as hard to sell it if I decide to upgrade later, and my right handed children will have it one day.  If you do go lefty however, go STAG arms.  The lower on the AR-15's is the same, only the upper is different and can put a right handed upper on the lower and "put it back to normal".  If your Sporter has a brass deflector, I think you are good to go.  The brass deflector came out on the A1 or A2's just for Left handed shooters in the military.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a stag 2tl+ and it's a beautiful and reliable rifle. I'm really glad I got the "lefty" however my next rifle will be a normal right handed ejecting rifle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I am a lefty but my current Ar and every one that I have fired before it has been a standard. I have never been hit with any casings.
I was debating getting a lefty and discussed it with a friend. He told me that the BCG is different and that if SHTF it would be hard to come across one.
I guess it really depends on your preference, really with all the ambi stuff out there I stuck with a standard Ar
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks everyone for the advice!  I decided to keep the M&P - took it out today for the first time - shot great!  I have black Magpul on order (got the new STR stock) and I ordered an ambi-safety from Stag.  I'll get some pics up soon - apparently it doesn't exist on here unless yuo get pics up!  Already thinking about my next one - is that wrong?

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top