Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2012 5:19:43 AM EDT
Has anyone bought a new Bushmaster lately, I think they are called Winham Arms now ?
How are they as far as reliability and accuracy ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I own a Bushy A2 carbine that has not given me a reason to doubt it. I also have a Bushy 20" A4 upper on a Spike's lower that is my personal favorite.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Has anyone bought a new Bushmaster lately, I think they are called Winham Arms now ?

rebs,

There was a very recent magazine article and it indicated the same feeling. It appears they're starting over as a new company and the article went on to say they had a decent array of different AR's on sale. I  can only assume they put out the same basic quality as they use too. If I saw one reasonalby priced I would not hesitate getting one for my battery.

Impapa

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
They are actually named 'Windham Weaponary' now, and are out of the same facility as Bushmaster was before Bushmaster moved (Windham, Me.) many of the 'old' Bushmaster employees are now working for Windham Weaponary. I happened to have my hands on one of the WW carbines a couple of weeks ago. it had a factory OD upper and lower with MagPul OD MOE accessories. The fit/finish looked real nice. I would assume that it would function just as reliably as anything else.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The present Bushmaster rifles are made at Remington plant in Ilion, NY.
Windham Weaponry re-opened in the old Bushmaster plant in Maine, and they rehired the former Bushmaster employees.

I saw a few Windham rifles, they look very nice.

Looks like the old Bushmaster, didn't forget how to make black rifles.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Does this mean we won't be seeing any more Bushmaster marked lowers?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does this mean we won't be seeing any more Bushmaster marked lowers?

Two separate companies...Bushmaster (bought by Freedom Group, also includes DPMS, Remington, Marlin and AAC) and the new Windham Weaponry.  Freedom Group moved Bushmaster from Windham, ME to Ilion, NY.  The former owner of Bushmaster, who sold it to Freedom Group, started Windham Weaponry in the former Bushmaster facility.

So, yes, Bushmaster lowers and rifles are and will still be available.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

rebs,

There was a very recent magazine article and it indicated the same feeling. It appears they're starting over as a new company and the article went on to say they had a decent array of different AR's on sale. I  can only assume they put out the same basic quality as they use too. If I saw one reasonalby priced I would not hesitate getting one for my battery.

Impapa

do you happen to remember the magazine the article was in ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have several pre-2008 Bushys that have been great.  JMHO, I personally would rather buy a Windham Weaponry version now, than a Bushmaster.  Since '08 and the rush to build I have read alot of concerns with spotty QC.  If you leave most of your employees in Maine and move the construction to a new plant, how long  before everything settles down and QC comes back?  I am not sure.  The ones put out now may be every bit as good as the old Bushmasters.  I am not willing to bet $900 on that YET.

I had the chance to play with a WW version about 2 weeks ago. Very nice rifle.

Again, just my opinion.   And Bushmasters lack of keeping up with their Industry forum here is another concern.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Windham MPC a couple of weeks ago. Accuracy, fit, finish and function all great. Price was good $849. I did change out the trigger to a SSA. I am not a single stage fan, although the factory trigger was crisp, no creep. I wouldn't hesistate to buy another.

They are far superior to the Freedom Arms Bushy and WW's customer service is awesome. Check out their forum in Industry.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I like bushmaster rifles. I don't like bushmaster magazines. Trust me, throw the F-ing stock magazine away. Witnessed two very ugly jams in the few times I've used BM stock mags
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a Bushmaster (from the new factory) back around Christmas time, before I knew a whole lot about ARs.  While I can't speak much about the Windham Weaponry guns, I have to say that my bushy is outstanding. Being from a ban-state, there were only a handful of compliant guns that I could buy, so I ended up with a Bushmaster. Fit and finish on my rifle is excellent, even better than the various Windham's that I have handled at the gun stores.  1000+ rounds down range with no malfunctions so far (of course 1000 rounds isn't very much yet).  I'll have to agree with the bushmaster magazines being junk.  The 10 round SS mag mine came with was much flimsier than the aluminum D&Hs I bought, and although I havent had any problems with that magazine yet, I'm hesitant to use it.  My only gripe with my bushmaster is the "izzy" muzzle brake on it.  It's loud as all get out and doesn't do much in the way of compensation, although I don't think it looks bad.  I could have gotten a jewel, but I would say that either the current bushmasters or the windham weaponry rifles are both a solid choice.  With Colt's being priced how they are right now, of course I would consider that the way to go, but if a Colt is out of the question (Colt ban compliant rifles in MA go for 3-400 more than I bought my bushmaster for), then the bushmasters are GTG.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top