Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2012 6:29:32 AM EDT
I have decided to lose the FSB on my super light upper build. All the parts are here and I will be using the new Troy Alpha 7" rail on a Bushy 16" 1/7 pencil barrel that is .625" under the sight base.  

I need a small lightweight .625" gas block but I am clueless as to which one. Not sure if I should go with a pin type or set screw type. I heard that some Bushy barrels don't always work with pinned gas blocks due to the location of the factory pins. Is this accurate? Are there any pinned type .625" blocks out there? I really could use a recommendation from the hive. I have no brand preference but since I am using the short rail the gas block will be totally exposed and should look right.

Thanks for the input

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
No one knows anything about this?!?!
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Daniel Defense makes a clamp-on gas block for .625 diameter barrels. I have heard nothing but good reports; don't worry about it not being pinned or set screwed. Check Rainier Arms or other site sponsors.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe spikes makes a micro gas block that is similar to DD. it's called a micro gas block only about an inch long. click here
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
if you already have a pinned fsb you'll want a 2" lp gas block to cover the old pin holes unless you have a grinder and are willing to refinish the barrel. There are many who would suggest you stick with the existing pinned style unless you intend to put a longer rail on. It's actually one of the lightest configurations for a gas block and sight and is more sturdy than any other style you will put on there. What will you gain from switching to a different one? and switching to another pinned fsb could be problematic as they need to be drilled. You didn't build it yet why not exchange the barrel for one without a pinned fsb and get the gb you want to go with it?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The Larue .625 block is a good piece and it will cover the mess left behind from your FSB.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if you already have a pinned fsb you'll want a 2" lp gas block to cover the old pin holes unless you have a grinder and are willing to refinish the barrel. There are many who would suggest you stick with the existing pinned style unless you intend to put a longer rail on. It's actually one of the lightest configurations for a gas block and sight and is more sturdy than any other style you will put on there. What will you gain from switching to a different one? and switching to another pinned fsb could be problematic as they need to be drilled. You didn't build it yet why not exchange the barrel for one without a pinned fsb and get the gb you want to go with it?

hes changing the barrel aswell...  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to send the barrel to ADCO to assemble it to my upper, Having them mount the barrel and shave the FSB, remove the bayonett lug (I am in NJ), attach the floating handguard and perm mount the muzzle brake. But ADCO charges for the FSB shaving and baynonett lug removel. I was thinking why not just get a new gas block...

While I don't really like the looks of the Larue, as posted above, I see it covers the barrel over the whole area that the FSB was mounted making for a cleaner design. That is good. If I use a longer handguard I guess I can use any block as it will be hidden. I kinda liked the look of the short rail and exposed gas block though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]
troy makes one that'll cover the area too. exposed gas blocks are good to burn yourself on
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
troy makes one that'll cover the area too. exposed gas blocks are good to burn yourself on

I just checked the Troy site. I see a .750 gas block but no .625

Did it miss it?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top