Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2012 3:36:47 PM EDT
Sorry if this is a noob question. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep you're gtg.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy crap! That's the best news ever!!!! Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. The ATF only tracks Serial Numbers, the Upper recievers do not have them, the lowers do, hence why you need an FFL for the lower reciever. You can Also get a Lower parts kit sent to your house with no FFL, and get the stripped lower sent to an FFL if you want. This is what i did
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes. The ATF only tracks Serial Numbers, the Upper recievers do not have them, the lowers do, hence why you need an FFL for the lower reciever. You can Also get a Lower parts kit sent to your house with no FFL, and get the stripped lower sent to an FFL if you want. This is what i did

correct.

The lower receiver is the only part that you would need an FFL to receive. you can have any other part (or any combination of parts - assembled or otherwise) sent to your home with no FFL transfer needed, as long as there's not a lower receiver in the mix. A lot of places will ship rifle "kits" with everything except the lower.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Miday just shipped one to a friends house.

No problem.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Answer yes, I have mine dropped off at work
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Just so you know, most manufacturers/online stores will charge you the 11% complete firearms tax if you buy both the upper and the lower(sent to FFL) from them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I got one coming Thursday.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The serialed lower is the firearm as far as .gov is concerned.  The upper's just some parts.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The serialed lower is the firearm as far as .gov is concerned.  The upper's just some parts.

What's interesting is that it's just the opposite with an FN FAL. The upper receiver is the part considered a firearm, the lower is just a part. Go figure...
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
ATF does extensive research to identify the part that is essential for a gun to go "bang!". Thus the FAL upper and the AR lower are identified as the "firearm".  For some Browning machine guns, it's the side plate...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top