Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2012 9:05:44 PM EDT
Hey everyone! I have been a hunter and gun enthusiastfor over 15 years but just recently got a deep, deep urge to get an assult rifle. Sooo, after about 3 weeks on constant researching and reading I decided I wanted to put a RRA lower and upper together so I just bought the lower and parts today and will be buying the upper tomorrow. I went with a match grade Wilson SS barrel with 1/8 twist, YHM hand guard, RRA upper(with chrome lined chamber and carrier) and lower, and 2 stage match trigger system. I am still looking at optics but would appreciate any info you guys have! I want 2 optics, perhaps a close range laser/holographic sight and a decent scope thaat will be good out to 300 yards. Any input, feedback, recommendations are greatly appreciated!! I tried to go with the best I could afford at the moment so please dont tell me I need a $2500 gun or I should have spent another $500 on something else because I just cant do that right now. I would have loved to get a piston operated unit but its just not in the cards right now. I wanted something that would last and would be middle of the road and I think I found it but please correct me if im wrong. Ive heard nothing but good things about RRA and I tried to go with the higher end so im hoping I should have a quality gun. Thanks again for any advice, input, recommendations etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You might check out the new 1.1x4x scopes - they tend to run a bit less than the equivalent red dot & magnifier.  Sounds like a nice build - what are you going to shoot w/ it?

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are going to have two types of optics and plan on switching them out regularly then you'll need QD mounts with repeatable zero like Larues.

Also ARs are not assault rifles. AR stands for Armalite Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry :) I wanted a semi auto rifle  Thanks for the tip!! I was wondering how to change them out without having to resight each time!! This part should allow me to do so?

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sorry :) I wanted a semi auto rifle  Thanks for the tip!! I was wondering how to change them out without having to resight each time!! This part should allow me to do so?

Yep. Look up top... See the orange Texas logo that says Larue? Click it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You might check out the new 1.1x4x scopes - they tend to run a bit less than the equivalent red dot & magnifier.  Sounds like a nice build - what are you going to shoot w/ it?

Gig 'em,

backbencher

I am going to do deer hunting with it and maybe bear but I am probably going to buy another upper within the next 6-8 months and go with the 6.5 grendel on that one just so I have something with a little more knockdown power and damage potential. Thank you for the encouraging words. I also think it should be a nice gun! I am going to start doing some target shooting with it also but I dont know if I have the skill to go out past 300yards??? lol I guess we'll see! Im really glad there is such a large fan base for this weapon though because there is an abundance of info on everything!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

More or less.  Quality quick disconnect mounts (such as larue) minimize the shift of your zero when swapping sights.  I'd still recommend confirming zero after swapping optics if you will be hunting with the rifle etc.

Edited to add: I've had a good experience with my RRA except for a gas key that came loose at about 800 rounds due to an improper stake job.   This isn't a huge issue as its easy to fix if it does become a problem, but having a local gunsmith restake your gas key should be cheap (~$15) and would prevent any issue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should I go with the LT105 or LT100? The LT 105 just looks a bit smaller? Will I be able to mount both a short range and long range sight to either of these? The LT105 looks a bit small for a long range scope...
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you think I should just go with an actual laser sight for close range and mount it on the lower handguard rail and have a permanent adjustable scope up top?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should I go with the LT105 or LT100? The LT 105 just looks a bit smaller? Will I be able to mount both a short range and long range sight to either of these? The LT105 looks a bit small for a long range scope...

nevermind, I think I see the point. I would have to have one of these mounts for each of my optics. I think il go this route. More money more problems :) Might as well do it right the first time around though...
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gig 'em,

backbencher

I am going to do deer hunting with it and maybe bear but I am probably going to buy another upper within the next 6-8 months and go with the 6.5 grendel on that one just so I have something with a little more knockdown power and damage potential. Thank you for the encouraging words. I also think it should be a nice gun! I am going to start doing some target shooting with it also but I dont know if I have the skill to go out past 300yards??? lol I guess we'll see! Im really glad there is such a large fan base for this weapon though because there is an abundance of info on everything!

Congrats and nice choice of Sport Utility Rifle.

I call it that as you indicate multiple uses.

Noted gun writer and shooter David Fortier posts here under the screen name gunwriter and posted some surprising and educational stuff on the 6.5 Grendel.

There are threads on the 6.5 Grendel in AR Varients

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gig 'em,

backbencher

Congrats and nice choice of Sport Utility Rifle.

I call it that as you indicate multiple uses.

Noted gun writer and shooter David Fortier posts here under the screen name gunwriter and posted some surprising and educational stuff on the 6.5 Grendel.

There are threads on the 6.5 Grendel in AR Varients

I will have to engage in some 6.5 grendel reading soon! This site seems to be a gold mine and even before registering I was getting massive amounts of advice from all of you guys. I should be pretty well versed in the come 6 months from now and then hopefully I will be able to contribute to helping others. I like to take a scientific approach to all that I do so I think I should contribute well to the site.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I read an article in AR-15 magazine that had great things to say about the grendel round which is when I started looking into getting an upper for hunting. Going to have to wait a couple months though before i do that :) It will give me plenty of time for research though!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top