Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2012 7:09:57 AM EDT
Newbie to the AR world and came across the following for $675 locally.  Buyer says only "100" rounds fired.  I'm considering this or a new M&P 15 Sport.  My budget is around $700 including taxes. Timeline is a little tight on this so your immediate help is appreciated!

Here are the specs:

DTI 16" lightweight A2 upper & Centermass Lower Reciever assembly
5.56/.223
Complete Centermass 5.56 Lower
Bullet Button Installed
DPMS Lower Parts Kit
Standard 6-Position Mil-Spec stock
Magpul MOE Carbine handgaurd
Magpul Aluminum trigger guard
NCStar Carry Handle rail attachment for mounting optics
Phase 5 Tactical Ambi Charging Handle Latch
Phase 5 Tactical Extended Bolt Release v2 (EBRv2)
1 30 round USGI magazine modified for 9 rounds
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a cheap shit build rifle.

Get something else
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#2]
one benefit of FTF buy is no 4473

I'd offer somewhere under $600, otherwise you can do better
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I would pass on that. All the key parts IMO are cheap. The rest is not important or just plain useless.

You could do better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate all the help guys.

Just seems like $750 is a tough price range to be in for an AR.  Kinda stumped on which way to go, but as opposed to asking for advice here, which will prob be the 10000th time on this forum the question has been asked, I'lll keep digging.  Just seem to be running low on ideas, hence why my default to an M&P Sport
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out the PSA rifles. They should come in around your budget. I would pass on the one you are lookin at.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
sounds like a cheap shit build rifle.

Get something else

This.... J-U-N-K
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just seems like $750 is a tough price range to be in for an AR.  Kinda stumped on which way to go, but as opposed to asking for advice here, which will prob be the 10000th time on this forum the question has been asked, I'lll keep digging.  Just seem to be running low on ideas, hence why my default to an M&P Sport

Why not save and buy something nicer?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not save and buy something nicer?

I think it has to do with how much I want to invest into a new platform for me at this point.  $750 just feels comfortable for something I'm not totally sure I'll stick with.  Really just a cost vs reward equation for me.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Just make sure you get an A3 upper, not A2, for easy and straight optic mounting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Can't comment on the one for sale locally, but love my M&P15 sport. I picked it up new for $618+tax. Never looked back.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can't comment on the one for sale locally, but love my M&P15 sport. I picked it up new for $618+tax. Never looked back.  

Thanks...Cheapest around here (25 miles) is $699 plus tax.  Turns it into an $800 purchase pretty quick. I certainly haven't heard anything bad about the M&P.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like a decent rifle to me

Good upper, and parts kit.  the other stuff is along for the ride IMO.

And like someone already said, no tax or 4473 is a plus too.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Look at palmetto state. I qiuck priced a complete build(minus your fees) at aroound 700 for a STAINLESS barrelled upper, LPK and reciever. Dont know what cali stuff you would need to add, but that is the price for everything except your fees and mags/ammo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#14]
The only things that I would want to keep are the MAGPUL handguard and trigger guard. I'd offer $450 for it.... otherwise I'd pass. Get a brand new rifle kit from PSA if you want something higher quality at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Dude, you can get a brand new S&W M&P Sport or Spikes, complete with $55 Magpul rear MBUS thrown in, for under $650!

Why buy that crap you're looking at?

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dude, you can get a brand new S&W M&P Sport or Spikes, complete with $55 Magpul rear MBUS thrown in, for under $650!

I wish that was the case here in CA, unfort my area seems to be STEEP on the M&P.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Get the M&P.  You wont be dissappointed.  Unless you specifically want an A2 upper for some reason you will be disappointed with it in the long run if you want to mount anything other than the standard iron sights.  

DPMS and Smith and Wesson can be had complete in your price range.  Palmetto can be had as a kit in that range including the price of a stripped lower.  

FWIW... It you pick up a stripped lower, just get two... Save yourself the trouble of getting another down the road and save on the transfer fees.  These things have a tendency to multiply.  Mine turned into 4 in the first year.... Crazy.  Hahahaha.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
you can also look at great used rifles. Lots of used safe queens out there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish that was the case here in CA, unfort my area seems to be STEEP on the M&P.

Yep, CA seems to jack the prices up a bit compared to the rest of the country, and even more so in my particular city. But maybe put one together yourself. Buy parts as funds are available, and you'll have a complete AR in no time. Don't forget the bullet button :/
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:03:03 AM EDT
[#20]
500 for it
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:42:25 AM EDT
[#21]
At your price point, I'd be looking towards CMMG "Bargin Bin" rifles.....
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#22]
To the OP, I understand exactly the position you are in.. like many have said.. you could save for another 3 months and buy a "nicer" rifle.  I purchased a MP 15 sport last month and have put about 500 rounds through it.  They have all been the cheap steel cased monarch rounds that you can get $5/box at academy.  I have never had a single failure to fire, failure to eject, or failure to feed.   The rifle is nuts accurate and I am fully confident that when I pull the trigger that it will go boom and hit whatever I am looking at through the irons.  The farthest I have shot it is at 100 yards and does it without a problem.  

I got mine for $650 out the door (gun show) and haven't thought twice about it.

Disclaimer:  I do need to add this section.. if you plan on doing any of the following, you might want to try another:
1. Bury it at the beach for extended periods of time.
2. Belly crawl with it through hundreds of yards of swamp and mud fields.
3. Use it for years without cleaning it.

However, if you plan to take it to the range, home defense, and hunting, and clean and lube it after each use then you will not have any problems.  Don't let the more expensive name brands turn you away from the AR platform or try to intimidate you into thinking that it's a "bargain bin" rifle.  

Just get it and enjoy it.. Look all over the forum, everyone that has purchased the sport has been happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Pass.
The M&P sport isn't bad...but for an extra $100...or a willingness to assemble it yourself...you can do much better.

Any from my experience, higher quality firearms DO last longer and DO command higher resale value.
Don't kid yourself, you'll love the AR platform. Cheap to feed, ergonomic, reliable, and...besides...don't you want to be in the "IN" crowd?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't consider del-ton as junk.  I've used they uppers for several builds for my buddies.  They are good, I would rank them higher than anything from dpms.   Don't know anything about centermass so can't comment on the lower.  Truthfully the only junk I can is is the ncstar stuff.  Phase 5 stuff is good to go.  I would offer no more than 625.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a page full of good rifle kits.  They start at $499.  That still needs a stripped lower, a rear sight, magazine, the FFL fee, and the CA legal parts. (I assume) I think you could still come in pretty close to what you're looking to spend.  There are other companies and deals out there, these are pretty solid though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Funny how no one ever shoots more than 100 rounds through their rifles huh?  100 rounds is a short day at the range.  Check internal conditions if you are still interested in it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top