Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2012 5:44:45 PM EDT
I'm trying to get into distance shooting and i've been looking for a little bit; but want some expert opinions in case i'm missing something. I have decided to go with an SPR type rifle and not trying to sink my whole bank acct into a gun until i get some experience. One rifle i have found is the Rock River Arms predator pursuit. It has a 223 Wylde stainless barrel, 1/8 twist, chrome bolt group, 2-stage match trigger, which seems to be most everything on my list. My main question is does anyone on here have any experience with RRA products, and if so, are they quality enough to recommend? tried looking for reviews and haven't found an abundance of info. or should i consider other routes? If there are other avenues I should take or consider, any information would be great.

Note: trying to keep with 223 Wylde barrel so i can shoot affordable .223/5.56 ammo. Really like 6.8 Grendel until i see per round cost
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
what do you own now and what about it says it won't shoot as far into the distance as you'd like
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
that would be a good place to start, do you actually own an ARs?

if so there would be cheaper ways about doing this, I can help ya, but I have to know what Im working with
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
.............................................................................................................
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I used one of the RRA stainless match heavy barrels on my SPR build.

Does it shoot you ask???

Why, Yes, Yes it does

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Great barrels. Sometimes the uppers and lowers don't work with other brand uppers and lowers. The RRA two stage match trigger has a rep for failure, more than most and less than some. They are one of the better commercial brands though.

Check out adcofirearms.com. Steve sells both RRA and other brands and has the trigger you didn't know you want, but do. Geisele.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:04:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Right now I own handguns and shotguns.  I've been shooting a buddy's M&P 15, which to me is fine; we shoot out to about 50 yards currently at our local indoor range.  Started doing my homework because I knew I wanted my next purchase to be an AR.  Really liked the ability of an SPR type rifle to get out to 400 - 500 yards (which i would gradually like to work up to); but also liked the versatility of being able to put a red-dot or other optics/accessories on it for shorter-range shooting.  Not planning on anything too fancy, just want something that gets the job done.  

My plan currently is to purchase the RRA 20" bead-blasted predator pursuit upper, it comes with a chrome BCG, add a lower with the Magpul UBR stock, add either a Geiselle or RRA 2-stage trigger, and add scope mount/rings/bipod and add scope (budgeting around $250 - $400 for scope).  

What I'm running into is that there are plenty of options and multiple rabbit holes to go down... Looking at options on here and snipershide.com, you can gear-up for up to $4,000 - $5,000 and beyond.  I'm trying to budget right around $1,400 - $1,500 after putting the scope on.  In my above description, I believe i can purchase this for right around $1,000 conservatively.  I just want to make sure that once I get this, A) RRA will be a reliable choice , B) it will do what I want it to based on my skill and ability (or lacktherof) which is work up to shooting a target in the 400 - 500 yard range and C) is the best option for the money

Hopefully that helps describe my situation a little better.  Thanks for everyone's help/suggestions so far.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy this - 18" Upper with Lothar Walther Barrel

Then buy this - Palmetto Lower Or any other lower that suits your taste, check the EE for good deals

You'll need this too - MOE LPK or any other LPK/Grip combo

Then grab a Receiver Extension kit and Stock on the EE and you will be right around the price point you need to be and have a rifle that will put RRA to shame... IMO

You can get even lower on the cost by having Aim switch out the forearms on the upper for something else... I would suggest a Troy VTAC Extreme or TRX Extreme.

Trust me, this is what you want.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy this - 18" Upper with Lothar Walther Barrel

Then buy this - Palmetto Lower Or any other lower that suits your taste, check the EE for good deals

You'll need this too - MOE LPK or any other LPK/Grip combo

Then grab a Receiver Extension kit and Stock on the EE and you will be right around the price point you need to be and have a rifle that will put RRA to shame... IMO

You can get even lower on the cost by having Aim switch out the forearms on the upper for something else... I would suggest a Troy VTAC Extreme or TRX Extreme.

Trust me, this is what you want.

This is definitely a good option to consider.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top