Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2012 3:00:07 PM EDT
Does anyone know if the R-Guns" matte sand" finish upper/lower combo from AIM matches  FDE colors from Magpul ,Ergo, etc?

If it does, seems it would be easier than a duracoat or similar finishes,as far as a one stop shopping buy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Want me to drive over there and see?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Why yes sir, thankyou. First hand info, can't be beat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I can drive over there tommorow. Hope they have one in stock and some FDE furniture as well. I'll let you know I'm subscruibed to this page
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
http://i40.tinypic.com/wat17o.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2mmwbhe.jpg

it really depends on the light. that's a LandShark Lager cap in there for a color reference as well.

i just picked this up about a week ago for a winter project.

pics taken with my Samsung Stratosphere 4G...  so not the worst, but not the best quality out there...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a perfect match but pretty close eh?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]
yup... pretty good considering the differences in materials.  hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to show it with an Ergo deluxe tactical grip in FDE to see if theirs is any different.  if you want a perfect match then cerakote or duracoat will be your best bet, but this is pretty good and not as likely to chip or scratch over time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I need an excuse to go look at ar stuff and this is it so tommorow it's r guns
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What's your opinion of overall quality?

Is the finish a little more glossy or is that just camera flash?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can drive over there tommorow. Hope they have one in stock and some FDE furniture as well. I'll let you know I'm subscruibed to this page

I'll be standing by.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's your opinion of overall quality?

Is the finish a little more glossy or is that just camera flash?

the finish has a bit more of a sheen to it, which is to be expected on a smooth surface compared to the more textured surface on the PRS stock in the picture.

as for the quality of the machining, it is quite smooth, no major machining marks are visible (you can tell they used an end mill for a few places if you have manufacturing experience, but it's nothing you would notice unless you're specifically looking for it.)  i haven't gotten my lower parts kit yet so i can't comment on the holes and such just yet, but so far it seems like any other forged lower these days since there are (iirc) 4 or 5 companies that make the majority of all forgings.

in my opinion, for 160ish with shipping it is quite a good deal for the pair considering you'll pay almost that much for some forged lowers that may even come from the same forge.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I had some bad luck with R guns, but it was a used {never fired} upper, and just a situation of to many low end parts in one piece...  But supposingly they have come a long way..
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a rifle built on one of thier lowers using a Bravo Company upper with a WOA barel the upper to lower fit is not as tight as my Bushy or my SP1 but you can't tell by shooting it. It shoots just as good as my other two
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if you could knock the sheen down a litlle with a matte finish from Krylon or similar?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:48:42 AM EDT
[#14]
i built me new rifle with the r-guns matte sand upper/lower set. looks pretty nice, but as stated the finish is a little different than magpul and MI's FDE colors. it's near impossible to get everything the same exact color without painting it due to the different materials, and pigments that are proprietary to each company........http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu249/waltherp99nut/IMG_2639.jpg
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Well went by there this morning. I have to say they look good. But they are not FDE. It is an anodized finish that is more gold than brown. They told me they tried different shades and that is the closest they could get to FDE. The only way you are going to get a perfect match is to coat it all at the same time with the finish of your choice. If FDE is your choice I would go with this color as it would be the perfect base color.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I would not recommend RGuns finish if it's going to be more than a range toy.

I shot 60 rounds (30 m193, 30 m855) through an RGuns pistol I decided to try out. The finish had already scraped off  the inside of the receiver where the bcg rides. This may have been partially due to the fact their "mil spec" bcg was not shot peened, but it happened none the less.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top