Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:03:37 PM EDT
I'm in the market for my first AR-15, and there's 3 different models for me to choose from. The models are the S&W M&P 15 sport, DEL-TON DT sport , and the DPMS 5.56 Oracle. All 3 three of these are in my price range right now, and I'm looking to buy sometime this week.
Thanks for the help guys!
 Eric
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
S&W
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
S&W

Stay away form DPMS.  I have reliable sources that sell them, and they say they get more problems from DPMS than any other brand,  They have problems with their gas ports and other various parts.  S&W or DEL TON are good choices.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of those three, S&W is the best.  However, you can get a Palmetto State Armory AR-15 for $599 and it is built like a tank.  They use FN barrels, and do all the same tests on their rifles as Colt to make sure it is  good to go.

For $1099, they have a model that comes with an Aimpoint Pro optic as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Rra 750.00 with 2 stage n hogue from joeboboutfitters, or a Psa, or the smith out of those choices you listed
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
i read a review on a del-ton middy. the mag said all was good but they had a hammer out of spec issue.

good company tho.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
S&W out of the choices you listed

If it were my money it would be a PSA kit for your budget

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for my first AR-15, and there's 3 different models for me to choose from. The models are the S&W M&P 15 sport, DEL-TON DT sport , and the DPMS 5.56 Oracle. All 3 three of these are in my price range right now, and I'm looking to buy sometime this week.
Thanks for the help guys!
 Eric

Of those three, definitely the S&W.  However, in the same price range I would strongly recommend taking a look at a complete carbine from PSA, much better option.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all your input guys!!! I think I'm going down to buy the S&W today. I figure I could always custom a complete upper in the future if I feel I need to.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Spikes would not be a bad choice either and like the others I have heard alot of good things about PSA lately, of the 3 you have listed though Smith without a doubt.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I feel that there are a lot of reasonable choices near your price range.
You really need to know someone how knows ARs and have them look at the rifles you are considering.

I own and operate an AR company, and read on as i continue to plug someone else.....

Can there be problems with a DPMS? yes.
Can there be problems with a RRA? yes.
Can there be problems with a Larue, DD, Trident, LMT, Les Baer?  gulp...... but yes.  (though i hope they are few and far between)

What you need to do is have someone look at the particular rifle you are looking at.... hold it...
look for finish chips, wear marks, did the guy putting in the roll pins know what he was doing, or did he scrape up the finish?
how is one trigger compared to the next?
are the safetys crunchy, or smooth and camming?
how does the upper fit the lower, is there too much slop?
do the pins fit tightly between the upper and lower?
is the stock correctly alligned to the receiver?

Here we build a lot of rifles, but no two look EXACTLY the same, and even though we hand hone our triggers, no two are exactly the same, you need to look at the individuals not the groups.

i do however reccommend you buy the absolute best you can get... that doesnt mean brand.... that means individual rifle.

have a good 'un
-j
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for S&W or PSA!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#12]
S&W or PSA for sure, but deside what you want on your gun IE rails or a front sight post and what not before you get the gun, and spend a bit for one with all of that on it already.

I made that mistake with a dpms orical for my first AR, Although that gun has never given me one problem and it is more accurate than I am
but hey my luck with guns is the more it cost, the more issues I have
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Of those three S&W by far.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
You read mixed reviews and comments on DPMS and Delton. Both companies sell alot of ARs, so there's bound to be a negative or 2 out there.  But it's hard to find someone, who has anything bad to say about their S&W. There basic but reliabile and shoot well. I see them at the range by my house, and the people shooting them don't seem to have any issues. I'm ordering a PSA kit, I looked at a Delton, DPMS and the S&W because they were on sale right before Christmas. The Smith was what I would have bought. You need to hold them, look at them, then decide.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top