Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2012 4:51:29 AM EDT
Leaving in a bit for Deer hunting.  Taking my AR with 6-24x50 scope.  Last I  used it it was out at 24x for prairie dogs.  I want to dial it back to 10 or 12 for deer.  My question is what will it be shooting higher or lower at 12x than 24x?  I used to know this stuff but it's been a while.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It will shoot the same

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
For some reason I thought it changed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Theoretically It will shoot the same

Quite a few scopes will move the POI when the power is changed even though they aren't supposed to.  Lower priced models have more of a reputation for this than higher priced models but any of them can move.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#4]
What changes (or doesn't change) on a adjustable scope is the reticle and range estimation. Say for instance you have a 6-24x44 mil-dot scope. In most cases the mil-dot reticle does not change size as you zoom in or out, so range/size estimation will only be correct at one point between 6-24. The instructions with your scope should tell you this. Same with other range finding reticles. If you have just the simple (+) cross hairs, don't sweat it.

If in doubt, do a quick sight in at camp.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top