Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2012 9:38:47 PM EDT
I just bought one and when I was assembling my lower I realized it rattled when it moved. I don't really remember any of my other buffers doing that, but I could be wrong. Any input from the pros?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
buffers have 3 little weights in them. I think its perfectly fine for it to rattle a bit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It means its been built right.The weights have rubber disics in between them and have to have a little movement with the direction the buffers going in its cycle.Depending on buffer weight standard,H,H2,H3 will have steel a mix of steel and tungsten or all tungsten steel weights.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
if your other buffers were spikes tactical, where they are filled with tungsten powder, you wont hear them rattle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I put an ear plug in mine.  No more rattle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It means its been built right.The weights have rubber disics in between them and have to have a little movement with the direction the buffers going in its cycle.Depending on buffer weight standard,H,H2,H3 will have steel a mix of steel and tungsten or all tungsten steel weights.

^ Correct answer.  

Quoted:
I put an ear plug in mine.  No more rattle.

^... Hoo-whut?  

~Augee

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I understand, the movement of the weights is necessary to the function of the gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
An earplug so theres no movement?why mess with the spec its not like you can hear the weights move when you shoot.The only thing ive ever heard is the "sproing in the spring"on a new rifle...is buffer weight rattle really an issue that needs to be fixed
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Rattle is normal.  If it bothers you at all use a spikes st-t2 buffer as itt uses a powder. I use one in my carbine and love it
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#10]
The movement of the weights after the gun goes into battery prevents "bolt bounce" which can cause an out of battery discharge. Don't mess with it.  Drop something solid like a ball bearing or stone on the ground.  You'll see what mean.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#11]
We would tell recruits that the weights were batteries and their buffer could be used as an emergency flashlight.  The cycling of the gun would charge the battery and the plastic tip was the light source.  You can simulate the gun firing by shaking the buffer back and forth. You have to do it really hard to simulate the gun cycling and if you do it right the light glows.  Nothing like watching 300 trainees shaking the crap out of a buffer with that look of determination saying that they are going to be the first one to get theirs glowing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone, appreciate all your help!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We would tell recruits that the weights were batteries and their buffer could be used as an emergency flashlight.  The cycling of the gun would charge the battery and the plastic tip was the light source.  You can simulate the gun firing by shaking the buffer back and forth. You have to do it really hard to simulate the gun cycling and if you do it right the light glows.  Nothing like watching 300 trainees shaking the crap out of a buffer with that look of determination saying that they are going to be the first one to get theirs glowing.

"Private - go get me some ACOG batteries!"  

~Augee
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top