Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2011 5:15:46 PM EDT
Is the Redi-Mag worth buying? I remember these from over 10 years ago. I see that there's a Quick-Attach and a Standard? What is the difference?

Are these reliable?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a quick attach for sale. There's no difference in function, just a simpler attachment method. Pm if interested.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the offer. I installed the quick-attach and the gasket is just a 1 piece tire inner tube versus the multi-piece affair with the regular version. It adds at least half a pound and I just felt it was way too heavy. It got in the way, and the Magpul BAD lever kept rubbing against the rear of the Redimag. All that trouble wasn't worth having an extra mag in that location. I think I was faster just retrieving a new mag from a pouch.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmm that's weird.. I'm running a quick attach with a magpul BAD on a LMT lower and don't have any rubbing.. I had to move to rubber and redimag around a little (no grinding or sanding) and everything works fine.

If it is rubbing I'd just suggest a dremel tool or do what I did and move it around some.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
diluted: I think it might be just the way my lower receiver was made. I did create some more clearance for the BAD lever by shifting the Redimag around, but the BAD was just so gingerly grazing the rear of the Redimag. I know others have had great luck just by watching the Magpul videos.

But after trying out both the lever and the Redimag, I didn't like either. I couldn't get used to the lever and the Redimag was too heavy before I even tried keeping a second loaded 30-rd mag on tap.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I looked long and hard at them but deciding on a Springer Precision couplet instead.  Just simpler and for my uses if after those two mags and my spare third if I didn't get the job done it's been a really really really bad day.  Hopefully my friends will have arrived by that point.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the concept of the Redi-Mag for a home defense rifle because it allows me to have an extra magazine for malfunctions... But it's hard to justify the cost over a magazine coupler. Is magazine reliability decreased at all when using a coupler?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the concept of the Redi-Mag for a home defense rifle because it allows me to have an extra magazine for malfunctions... But it's hard to justify the cost over a magazine coupler. Is magazine reliability decreased at all when using a coupler?

no a coupler will not effect the function of the magazine.  The only draw back of a coupler is there is no mag pouch for them or way to carry them.  That is only applicable for range or competition use.

I love my Redi-Mag, but I made the Redi-Mod modifications to lighten it up and give me better visual access to the mag well during reloads.  If you have a redi-Mag, a BAD lever is mandatory in my opionion, as getting to the bolt release is greatly reduced.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
A few days after I purchased one I turned around and sold it. I didn't like the increased weight and bulkiness.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no a coupler will not effect the function of the magazine.  The only draw back of a coupler is there is no mag pouch for them or way to carry them.  That is only applicable for range or competition use.

I love my Redi-Mag, but I made the Redi-Mod modifications to lighten it up and give me better visual access to the mag well during reloads.  If you have a redi-Mag, a BAD lever is mandatory in my opionion, as getting to the bolt release is greatly reduced.

Mag with coupler goes in the rifle, spares in the pouches. I think the coupler is the best bet for HD.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top