Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2011 7:52:02 AM EDT

I just got in a RRA 2 stage trigger and had my friend put it in my Remington R-15.  The gun had a pretty good single stage trigger but I prefer two stage triggers on my target or hunting AR rifles.  I haven't made it to the range and couldn't find my trigger gauge last night but it sure feels mighty heavy.  It feels like nothing on the first stage and then 6+ pounds on the second stage.  Not a very pleasant combo and not like my other rifles (A target AR and a Sig 556).  Any suggestions on who can work over the trigger and make it lighter?

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest that you take it out and shoot it some before doing anything.  I put the RRA match trigger on my first and only build and was not impressed the first times I dry fired it.  Because the first stage is just a bit of take-up I wondered if it was working so I did some reading and decided it was working as it was designed to do.  After some range time the second stage may have eased up a bit but I now really like this trigger.  The second stage is very crisp and that seems more important than the weight to me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Will try it at the range later this week.  I just expected the 2nd stage to be lighter than it is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I would depress the disconnector by hand (thumb) to settle the spring around 20-30 times...attempt to compress the spring 100%. Then, apply some good grease on all the sear surfaces including both of the hammer hooks and obviously the disconnector hook. Followed by some good oil on the hammer & trigger pins. Finally, dry fire a ton and make sure to hold the trigger back prior to resetting the trigger (cycle the bolt) to allow a reset - this will help mate the surfaces of the sears and allow a butter smooth but, crisp let-off & reset.

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no first hand experience with RRA, but my Geissele DMR/ hi-Speed triggers have been excellent from the first pull. Worth the money IMO.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It came stock on my AR, VEEERRRYYY Nice trigger, a little heavy on the pull, but it lightend up after about 50 to 100 rounds
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
And it will continue to do so, until it goes single stage
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If      in one day it should ever fail, send it back for a free replacement.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If it fails eventually and goes single stage then I'll just send it in for warranty.  It is going on a hunting AR and not a self-defense AR.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I have (9) ar-15's. (7) of them have the RRA NM triggers in them and my only regret is that the other (2) dont have them too. You wont find a better deal for $100 than an RRA NM trigger.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just got in a RRA 2 stage trigger and had my friend put it in my Remington R-15.  The gun had a pretty good single stage trigger but I prefer two stage triggers on my target or hunting AR rifles.  I haven't made it to the range and couldn't find my trigger gauge last night but it sure feels mighty heavy. It feels like nothing on the first stage and then 6+ pounds on the second stage.  Not a very pleasant combo and not like my other rifles (A target AR and a Sig 556).  Any suggestions on who can work over the trigger and make it lighter?

After reading your post again.  It seems as if it's time
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep, I own two of them that are vintage 2004 or so. One of them has been fantastic for thousands of rounds worth of low to moderate intensity range shooting and practice drills, and one (much higher intensity) carbine class. The other lost the first stage after only a few hundred rounds, and became a two pound single stage. There are no visible signs of wear on either trigger-and they are absolutely identical when placed side by side. I remember that White Oak used to fix them years ago, before Rock River corrected the problem. Since both of mine are over seven years old I don't know how they compare with RRA's newer versions. My defective trigger was dumped into the busted parts bin and replaced with a KAC two-stage. The other one is still going strong-just had it out for some trigger time with my daughter recently in fact

I wonder if I could return mine under warranty? Never really thought about trying it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]
RRA NM triggers is all I ever use. I bought a spare and honestly I doubt if I'll ever use it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I own two of them that are vintage 2004 or so. One of them has been fantastic for thousands of rounds worth of low to moderate intensity range shooting and practice drills, and one (much higher intensity) carbine class. The other lost the first stage after only a few hundred rounds, and became a two pound single stage. There are no visible signs of wear on either trigger-and they are absolutely identical when placed side by side. I remember that White Oak used to fix them years ago, before Rock River corrected the problem. Since both of mine are over seven years old I don't know how they compare with RRA's newer versions. My defective trigger was dumped into the busted parts bin and replaced with a KAC two-stage. The other one is still going strong-just had it out for some trigger time with my daughter recently in fact

I wonder if I could return mine under warranty? Never really thought about trying it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Call them up, send it in.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, you might want to contact RRA about getting the trigger looked at, that doesn't sound right.
Should be an even 1st stage then the stop, then it fires.
I have them in all my rifles except one, and the only reason that rifle doesn't have one is because I'm not finished with the lower yet, then its getting one.
The highest round count I have on one trigger is a little over 6000 rounds, and it still feels great.  I haven't checked the weight but it feels the same as it did day one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Yea, it doesn't sound like it should work.

I have an RR 2 stage on an AR as I like the M1A type 2 stage trigger, and it is great.  Have had no problems.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I purchased the LPK w/ 2 Stage Trigger, it is a vast improvement over my other triggers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I have them in 4 of my 5 AR's the 1 that does not have it was an ecominical build 5.45 rifle.  

1 is the first generation RRA NM 2-Stage trigger the hammer is slightly different.  All run 100% and all are aroung 4.5#-4.0#.

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Steve.  It seems okay in function, just heavy.  My other 2 stage semi-auto rifles have had gunsmiths work on them and it isn't fair to compare it but it is just as crisp, just heavier.  I dry fired it about 20 times and will give it some live fire tomorrow.  It currently sits at just over 6 pounds, with grease on the contact points.  If it doesn't wear in I will give you guys a call.
   As for the installation, I had my friend (army vet) install it in my R-15 so I can't imagine he made any mistakes.  He has assembled many ARs for fun and is pretty knowledgeable for an enthusiast.  Thanks for replying.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have (9) ar-15's. (7) of them have the RRA NM triggers in them and my only regret is that the other (2) dont have them too. You wont find a better deal for $100 than an RRA NM trigger.

IMHO the ArmaLite tactical two stage is superior to the RRA.  It's $120 with a LPK from ArmaLite.  The ArmaLite is much more robust and has an additional adjustment by moving a added spring that hooks the disco.  Three positions that change finial weight in .5 lb increments.  I have replaced all my RRA two stage triggers with the ArmaLite.

After a few hundred rounds I stone the contact area on the disco/hammer and have a break that is equal or superior to any two stage on the market.

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks Steve.  It seems okay in function, just heavy.  My other 2 stage semi-auto rifles have had gunsmiths work on them and it isn't fair to compare it but it is just as crisp, just heavier.  I dry fired it about 20 times and will give it some live fire tomorrow.  It currently sits at just over 6 pounds, with grease on the contact points.  If it doesn't wear in I will give you guys a call.
   As for the installation, I had my friend (army vet) install it in my R-15 so I can't imagine he made any mistakes.  He has assembled many ARs for fun and is pretty knowledgeable for an enthusiast.  Thanks for replying.

I've used a number of RRA 2-stages, and have found a surprising difference in pull weight between them, even installed in the same lower with the same pins.  I would estimate at least a 2-lb difference between heaviest and lightest.

The only time I had any actual trouble, RRA of course replaced it pronto.  They're GTG.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys for the responses.  I didn't get to shoot today as they were working at my gunrange on the rifle range.  One worker said I could shoot and they would just be careful where they went but there is no way I am firing a gun while anyone is downrange.  I am going to dry fire it today while watching tv and shoot it live tomorrow.  As for 2 stage triggers, I have a good one in my target AR and have no idea whose it is but it's total weight is 2 pounds and 4 ounces so they can be light and safe.  Hoping this one will wear in to a sub 5 pound pull.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top