Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/5/2011 10:30:32 AM EDT
Hello, I'm new to the forum and already have found great info here.  I'm waiting for my first AR-15 to ship.  I am planning to build a second one.  Being left handed, is always a problem.  I found the few parts to make the lower functional for me,  but I cannot find upper left hand parts.  Can anyone lead me in the best direction?
Again, great forum and fantastic info.  

Mark
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome.

The big company out there for lefties is Stag, but I'm not sure what they offer as to parts you can assemble.
Honestly, being a lefty myself, besides the lower, I don't see much usefulness in anything besides maybe an extended latch like the BCM Gunfighter. Otherwise, the rest seems to be a non-issue.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I am waiting for a Stag lefty that I just bought.  Maybe I should make the lower ambi and do a standard right hand upper.  Since about 10% of the population is left handed, according to several sources on the web, you would think there would be a bit more availability out there.  You got me thinking.....  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a life-long lefty.  The only thing I add to mine is the ambi-safety.  Don't really see much need for the rest.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont even bother with the safety.

Thumb can move over and flip the safety.

Non firing hand can hit mag release while pulling mag out.

Index finger can work mag catch.

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought the same thing until doing repeated snap drills.  The thumb-over-method sucks for that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the same thing until doing repeated snap drills.  The thumb-over-method sucks for that.

instead of moving your thumb to the other side, try using the joint (palm side obviously) at the bottom of your index finger of your left hand.

i just keep my index finger extended, move my hand a little bit and flip from safe to semi. to engage the safety i use the tip of my index finger.

kind of hard to explain, but i've been doing it for years and it works well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Rainier Arms sells the Stag upper parts.  That's where I got my parts from.  They're a site sponsor.

www.rainierarms.com
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#8]
My issue with the left hand upper parts is that the bolt and carrier are non-standard. Your only choice is Stag. Since I consider an AR15 an emergency survival tool, a non standard bolt and BCG is not acceptable to me especially with the tendency of the AR to break down with BCG/bolt issues.

I have not had trouble with the right side ejection. I don't see the shells flying out and they don't hit me. I don't particularly care for the left side safety, and I am going to build a rifle with an ambi safety today. I am pretty sure both of my ARs will have that feature soon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done thousands of rounds of "up drills" in the Mil. Got pretty fast.

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#10]
DPMS also makes left handed AR's along with Noveske....
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My issue with the left hand upper parts is that the bolt and carrier are non-standard. Your only choice is Stag. Since I consider an AR15 an emergency survival tool, a non standard bolt and BCG is not acceptable to me especially with the tendency of the AR to break down with BCG/bolt issues.

I have not had trouble with the right side ejection. I don't see the shells flying out and they don't hit me. I don't particularly care for the left side safety, and I am going to build a rifle with an ambi safety today. I am pretty sure both of my ARs will have that feature soon.

Possibly a dumb question, but isn't it possible to use a normal bolt in a left-handed upper? Just install the bolt in the carrier upside down so the extractor is on the correct side?

And no left-handers should be having problems with ejecting shells in a right-handed upper, that's why the shell deflector is there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
There have been several long, good posts on this in the last month, so do a search and you'll have tons of info.  My responses, being a lefty shooter, are in those threads.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Brownells carries a left hand upper and blot carrier made by stag arms, i looked at the Q & A and found some conflicting information though. according to the Q & A for the upper you need the left handed bolt and barrel extension but when you look at the Q & A for the bolt carrier it says a standard barrel extension works fine. Also I asked what kind of feed ramps the upper has and got the answer they were standard. If someone else has the answer to whether or not the bolt carrier requires the stag ambi-extension or if a standard one will work that would be helpful. I should get the upper in about a week so i can confirm or deny what feed ramps it has.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a lefty best thing i  can reccomend get a  bcm gunfigter charging handle and use a standard upper. As for the lower get a bad ass ambi selector and a norgan mag release and call it a day. I use my left index  finger to activate the bolt hold

see my stickey post in the faq section about left handed mods. The ar platform is pretty easy to use as a lefty and as long as you have a brass deflector then you need not worry about  brass in the face.

I would highly discourage a left handed uppers. I had one and the only place i could find parts was stag and noveske
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#15]
50 years of R&D has been done on the right hand upper. For a range toy the lefty upper is probably fine. If you think your life may ever depend on your rifle get a righty.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I am left handed also and just went down this road myself. I was gonna order a stag left hand model but after much research and talking with some guys I know who have more knowledge   about AR15 then I do. I decided to buy a right hand model instead. Like stated it will be much easier to get parts for it if I need to.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I went the just learn it right method in the usmc and focused on get fast that way but after getting out and building my own rifle i decided that while a lefty upper wasn't for me. i want the controls on the "wrong" side. I added the Colt reversible selector, Armadynamics ambi CH and the Norgon mag release. It makes a world of difference you can get quick with lots of practice on the right side but when its built for you,you can fight the bad guys instead of fighting your rifle
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top