Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2011 5:22:37 AM EDT
I was recently given a barrel and a stock to start my first AR build. I was told that it came off a bushmaster but I have no other info on it and it has no markings at all. Is this barrel a good start to building a medium range bench rifle? It measures in at 24 inches and has  a standard front sight. I am looking to change the standard sight to a railed gas block but I am unsure of what size block will fit it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

sight marked 8 R with a crown

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
All Bushmaster barrels are stamped. So I don't believe that is one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Where would it be stamped? mabey I missed it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Appears to have a chromed chamber, but that is about the only "good" we can see from here. I would sell it and start with a known barrel. Basically, you can go cheap on a lot of stuff, but I try to go all out on the barrel and buy quality BCGs (LMT,BCM). The rest matters, but not so much as the barrel and BCG. I'd start over on the barrel, but that is just me and I'm not sure what your expectations are for the weapon.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If Bushmaster made it it will be stamped in front of the FSB on top of the barrel, twist rate, caliber, and ID mark.  I've never seen a BM not stamped.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I would want to know why it was removed in the first place!  
Barring that, I would roll with it (especially since it was free).  Unless you are the type who can't stand having a rifle that is 1/4 less accurate at 100 yards than a $400 barrel.  It would be a good start, as long as it is structuraly sound.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Try it first before I would buy a new barrel.  It could have been replaced because it is one long-assed barrel.  You can always replace it later and it won't cost you a dime, but it would be short sighted IMO to replace it without having first shot it to see if it was accurate enough for your intended use.
Gas block is probably a .750 but it is always wise to measure it first with a set of calipers, which anyone doing any kind of smithing work or reloading should have on hand anyway.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The story goes It was removed and replaced by a 16" to do a carbine build. I have seen the rifle it came from that was made into a collapsable stock carbine for HD reasons. This is my first build and I am not looking for sub moa performance. I would like a nice shooter that won't break the bank. I will be building off a surplus ammo low16 reaper lower and an Aero precision flat top upper. What size gas block will I need to replace the front sight? edt thank you big bore.

Pictures of what was given to me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoot it and find out. Anything we can tell you is pure conjecture or standard identification, which without markings will be hard to give.

the only thing that matters is how it puts rounds down range and identifying the maker will not tell you that.

Chuck it in the upper, take it out and test it... If it shoots good then you are in business... If you are keyholing rounds then you need a new barrel. There is no need to replace the barrel without actually trying it.

ETA.. Yeah what big bore said
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I would just leave the front sight unless you were planning of installing a free floated handguard.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Also, if you decide you want a shorter barrel later on.....  HACKSAW TIME!!!!!!   Since it was free and all.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also, if you decide you want a shorter barrel later on.....  HACKSAW TIME!!!!!!   Since it was free and all.

Hacksaw time?, never done that before
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Is that a 25" barrel?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Shoot it first. But, that FH looks pretty burnt up. Might just be me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I recall a theread about a barrel like that a couple of years ago (maybe more)... I dont remember the manufacturer...
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Make sure the upper you get does not have the M4 feed ramp cuts in it because your barrel extension has the older rifle type feed ramps and they do not blend well with an upper with M4 ramp cuts.  Or, if you do get M4 feed ramps you really should Dremel out those rifle feed ramps to get rid of the hang up point by making the upper feed rams merge with the barrel extension feed ramps.  There are several threads on that around here someplace.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top