Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2011 3:59:57 PM EDT
Well guys a while back I asked the question whether Black Rain Ordnance guns were any good.  I answered my own question.  Really good.... really really good.

Here is my review here.
http://www.majorpandemic.com/2011/10/black-rain-ordnance-fallout15-ar15.html

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought a BRO upper/lower  a couple years ago..the look hooked me as soon as I saw them. Fantastic receivers, they'll look better soon with the rest of the components attached. Your rifle looks great, a little "bling-y" for me...but nontheless a good looking rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What buffer tube is on Blackrain gun? Tell me is the Blackrain lower High or Low shelf?
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
$2069 as tested seems like a lot of money for an AR to me
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
<Off-topic comment removed - Z>

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm using one of their stainless barrels on my SPRish build.  It was a stainless heavy barrel that was turned down to a medium contour and then duracoated.  It's been a good shooter so far!  This isn't the most current pic of it, I've changed the BCG for a Palmetto (that's a crappy DPMS in the pic) and gas block (for a Young low profile) since this one:

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got one of their 7.5" SS tri-lobe rifled barrels in an AR pistol (soon to be SBR) and it's pretty darn accurate.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a BRO billet set, and I must say it is pure sexiness.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What buffer tube is on Blackrain gun? Tell me is the Blackrain lower High or Low shelf?

Standard Buffer but M16 BCG.  I will have to check on the shelf.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could get an OBR for the same price, or the Larue PredatAR for $500 less. Much more bang for your buck.

That thing looks like a toy.

Larue makes awesome firearms as well, however they are going after different markets.  Might want to look at the specs again between the two. Yeah there are some dollars involved, however I am sure Larue is not including sights, KNS anti-walk pins, an upgraded case, Magpul single point sling mount, single point sling, Nickel Boron BCG and charging handle, and 20% ceramic coated receiver.  Add those in there and you have and easy price difference. The point I believe Black Rain is making is they have pulled it all together in a package like STI has done with 1911s.   Keep in mind this is a gun really going after the 3-gun market which encourage a little fun in their toys.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not seeing how the accessories they offer cater to a 3 gun market.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:52:27 AM EDT
[#14]
You didn't understand. My Question was what name brand Buffer Tube is ajoined the Reciever that the Buffer goes inside?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 5:34:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well guys a while back I asked the question whether Black Rain Ordnance guns were any good.  I answered my own question.  Really good.... really really good.

Here is my review here.
http://www.majorpandemic.com/2011/10/black-rain-ordnance-fallout15-ar15.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2_h5VHcFehg/TqMPNa4u6AI/AAAAAAAAAxU/2Ye59hPwVYU/s1600/Imgp0819.jpg

That must be the worst compensator/brake design I've ever seen. You usually design accessories and gear to reduce the possibility of snagging on gear. That muzzle device, according to your article, snagged on your couch. You don't hit people with an AR-15, you shoot them with it. But if you really must hit someone, use a bayonet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#16]
It's strange that for a 2k "bells and whistles gun" budget optics were used in the testing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:That must be the worst compensator/brake design I've ever seen. You usually design accessories and gear to reduce the possibility of snagging on gear. That muzzle device, according to your article, snagged on your couch. You don't hit people with an AR-15, you shoot them with it. But if you really must hit someone, use a bayonet.

Not sure what part of an AR15 for fun you guys are not getting.  If I want to go breaking down doors, I will grab my standard Spikes, DTI, RRA, Ruger, or S&W rifles.  Yeah I can just see the lawsuit now after defending myself with a rifle with Skulls on it.  

The brake is odd, but I found it worked very well although as noted it will snag on stuff.. just like many of the open ended pronged flash hiders from YHM, Smith, DPMS, Midwest, Tapco, Doublestar, Troy, Model 1, and AR Stoner.

Quoted:
It's strange that for a 2k "bells and whistles gun" budget optics were used in the testing.

The higher magnification scope worked fine for shooting groups and its the scope I have been using for all my groups shooting... I don't need to go out an buy $2K 6-24X power scope when I am shooting groups in full sunlight.  Right now I have a Millet DMR on the rifle which also works very well.

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#19]
nice review, while the guns alittle out of my price range it looks like they make a good barrel that I might end up buying.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could get an OBR for the same price, or the Larue PredatAR for $500 less. Much more bang for your buck.

That thing looks like a toy.

Larue makes awesome firearms as well, however they are going after different markets.  Might want to look at the specs again between the two. Yeah there are some dollars involved, however I am sure Larue is not including sights, KNS anti-walk pins, an upgraded case, Magpul single point sling mount, single point sling, Nickel Boron BCG and charging handle, and 20% ceramic coated receiver.  Add those in there and you have and easy price difference. The point I believe Black Rain is making is they have pulled it all together in a package like STI has done with 1911s.   Keep in mind this is a gun really going after the 3-gun market which encourage a little fun in their toys.

Id still have the Larue w/o the upgrades if thats how it had to be... luckily this is America and I can have the Larue AND the upgrades.  

The BR is a nice stick, although the skulls aren't my taste, but I still think I will stick with my PredatAR
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Id still have the Larue w/o the upgrades if thats how it had to be... luckily this is America and I can have the Larue AND the upgrades.  
The BR is a nice stick, although the skulls aren't my taste, but I still think I will stick with my PredatAR

They have pink tiger stripe camo.    They also have standard 60RC black anodized receivers and I think they have other Aqua Transfer dip pattern options like various standard digital camo patterns for the traditionalist.
http://blackrainordnance.com/images/rifles/pg1_over.png
http://blackrainordnance.com/images/rifles/pg5_over.png
http://blackrainordnance.com/images/rifles/pg2_over.png

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought everyone here hated Black Rain?  Then again that was a few years ago and things change like the wind around here.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top