Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2011 9:41:46 PM EDT
Hi, long time reader, 1st time poster.

If you wanted a civilian version of the m16a4 that was built with the same features and specifications of a Colt but at a higher quality than the Colt manufactured military version m16a4 rifle, what company would supply such a rifle?  

If you needed to put such a rifle together from parts, what quality parts and gun smithing techniques would one use to guarantee a better product than what is currently produced by Colt for the military?

Colt manufactures a good product, however I believe there's a better quality product available if you're willing to pay the price.  Like the difference in quality between a standard military issued .45 compared to a Wilson combat .45.

Also, could someone disclose the basic features of a m16a4, such as the rifle barrel type, bolt type, and so on?

If you deviated from the current m16a4 specifications to improve the quality of the arm, what specifications would you change?

Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Start with vulcan or blackthorne, they build stuff for special forces.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Que palm to face jpg.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Edited: I could have sworn that Fulton Armory had a gov't profile  A4. Looks like they are all HBAR's. So I guess I'm in before all the BCM suggestions and PSA counters.
Personally ,I would be confident with an Armalite M15A4 with Magpul MOE grip and handguard. (not into rails anymore)
(Because apparently I am one of the very few members here that does not believe a semi auto bolt carrier and 1/9 twist barrel will categorically render an AR15 inoperable in all applications not confined to shooting paper targets.)

YMMV

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks LA357SIG.  Appreciate your honest response. I guess newbies aren't as welcomed on the site as I thought.  Vulcan and Blackthorne, that was......funny.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you find lacking in a Colt rifle?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Swamper:  your questions, or very similar are asked on almost a daily basis, hence the humorous first post.

Lurk around here, ask specific questions when you have them and they will be honestly answered.  You also have to be able to separate the chaff from the wheat:  everyone has their own opinion of what is "best" and "better", so there is not right/wrong answer...OK, well except for that first post!

To begin the answers to your questions:

1.  Colt is considered "the standard" but they are also middle of the road; you can do better, you can do worse.
2.  If you are asking about a rifle for your own personal use, then tell us what you want this rifle to do, and what you want to do with it...range, self-defense, hunting, etc.
3.  Budget is, of course, important.
4.  You use the term "quality" but quality means different things to different people; what does it mean to you?  It could mean accuracy, reliability, performance per unit cost, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
With the AR15 platform, I think that once you try improving too much over the colt/mil standard, you begin to get diminishing returns for your dollar. With that said, the complete modularity of the weapon makes it hard for me to even think of AR-15's as a complete gun anymore. My brain has become hard-wired for individual components. For instance, I cobbled my last carbine together from parts I hand picked from half a dozen different manufacturers. Is it better than the Colt? Ehh, maybe. It was definitely more expensive, but it has a few niceties you can't get standard.

Basic features- barrel bolt etc? Check out the standard BCM or Spike's specs. I think they're pretty much the same as the mil std if my memory serves me.

How do I deviate? If money were no object, I'd get a middy CHF barrel, a mil spec(shot peened/ HP Tested/ MP Inspected) nickle boron coated bolt, an improved charging handle, and a Gieselle trigger. Then I'd buy optics & furniture depending on what role the gun is going to serve. That's my ideal of "upgraded"- not sure if it's "better" though.

Anyhow, I'm a long time lurker, small time poster here too. I think I've only 40ish posts since 2004.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Swamper:  your questions, or very similar are asked on almost a daily basis, hence the humorous first post.

Lurk around here, ask specific questions when you have them and they will be honestly answered.  You also have to be able to separate the chaff from the wheat:  everyone has their own opinion of what is "best" and "better", so there is not right/wrong answer...OK, well except for that first post!

To begin the answers to your questions:

1.  Colt is considered "the standard" but they are also middle of the road; you can do better, you can do worse.
2.  If you are asking about a rifle for your own personal use, then tell us what you want this rifle to do, and what you want to do with it...range, self-defense, hunting, etc.
3.  Budget is, of course, important.
4.  You use the term "quality" but quality means different things to different people; what does it mean to you?  It could mean accuracy, reliability, performance per unit cost, etc.

Swamper, big +1 to the above.

Mil spec is great for the .Mil and it should be, they spent big bucks defining their requirements and determining what it takes to meet those requirements and what deviations are allowed.

Your needs and requirements may not be the exact same. Your needs may dictate ranking one or more aspect of a system differently than the military.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
M16A4's are made by FNH not Colt... Colt makes M4's only

With that said BCM would be a good choice

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:39:18 AM EDT
[#10]
a guy at work asked me the same thing yesterday.

heres how I put it:

Colt
Armalite
Noveske
Daniel Defense
Larue
BCM   <<< What I got..
Stag
Spikes
RRA

and then DOWN   >>>

PSA
Bushmaster
DPMS
Oly
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also, could someone disclose the basic features of a m16a4, such as the rifle barrel type, bolt type, and so on?

Pretty much just an A2 but with a flat top receiver, detachable carry handle, and a KAC RAS rail.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:21:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

heres how I put it:

Colt

Armalite

Noveske

Daniel Defense

Larue

BCM   <<< What I got..

Stag

Spikes

RRA

and then DOWN   >>>

PSA

Bushmaster

DPMS

Oly

You forgot LMT, it goes at or near the top.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:36:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

heres how I put it:

Colt
Armalite
Noveske
Daniel Defense
Larue
BCM   <<< What I got..
Stag
Spikes
RRA PSA
and then DOWN   >>>

PSA RRA
Bushmaster
DPMS
Oly

List is ok,  I would replace RRA with PSA.  PSA looks to be making very high quality parts.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:44:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Start with vulcan or blackthorne, they build stuff for special forces.

Is this GD?
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:44:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 3:45:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Dupe to the A4 thread.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top