Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2011 9:25:18 PM EDT
Hi Im new to the forum, I found out about it while I was trying to build my first AR. Which I think I did ok

So I was installing the bolt catch but when I was about to finish the pin punch slipped and hit the lower chipping the finish or paint in it. I would like to know if there's something I can do to fix it or at least don't look like that.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/127/chipbyl.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Btw: I don't speak English very well so my bad if I misspell something.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
forget about it and shoot it.

chips, scratches, wear mark adds character to it :)
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Alumablack by birchwood casey will take off the shine, then don't worry about it if it's not a perfect match. though multiple applications will hekp dark it.
It can't rust.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Throw the complete gun down the driveway to make it all match?

I chipped my first one too, no biggie.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!! at least I don't fell that bad now.  I will check the Alumablack just in case because I was more worried about rust than cosmetics. I live In a extremely humid place and rust appear everywhere very fast.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the forum

When you put together your next AR, you can apply a small piece of tape on the lower where that roll pin goes, so if your punch slips off the pin it won't scratch the lower. While I'm not overly concerned with one of my own, whenever I help a friend put one together I try to be as neat and careful as possible
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:41:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt just used black paint.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks!! at least I don't fell that bad now.  I will check the Alumablack just in case because I was more worried about rust than cosmetics. I live In a extremely humid place and rust appear everywhere very fast.

Yep, no serious corrosion can occur. Aluminum can oxidize, but even when it does it's surface only. All my new Colts came with bright handling dings (no biggie).

degrease, apply two or three coats of alumablack with a q-tip, a coat of CLP, and it's good until you make more dings when you shoot it.

As far as rust and pitting from humidity goes, just worry about your bolt, chamber and barrel. Keep those well lubed at all times, and you will be good to go.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top