Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2011 7:42:12 PM EDT
Why have there been so many people on here asking how they should modify their rifle lately? If you have to ask, it means you should shoot more.

So many people get wrapped around adding HSLD accessories to their rifles or getting super "cool guy" gear but don't even know why they need them.  I'm currently working with a classmate who keeps on asking me what gear he should get when he has barely put down any rounds out of his rifle (< 50). He has very little interest in learning shooting techniques from me, but instead keeps on asking me what accessories he should buy.

It might be beneficial to shoot your rifle first and once you realize there's a problem, search for a solution. There's no way anyone here can help you if you don't even know what your own problems are. Gear is supposed to help solve the problems you may have, not substitute shooting skill and experience. There's a difference when you're searching for a gear solution vs searching for fashion advice.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It is nothing new, though it is more common these days.  As long as I can remember, some folks have tried to substitute technology for skill.  Today there are more options and more people trying to do it, but it has been around a long time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I want it all. I want it now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
<<<  GD is that way
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
<<<  GD is that way

+1
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I can see where that might bother you. But c'mon man, buying shit for your guns is fucking addicting and fun as shit!

Oops, I'll catch up in the GD forum, sorry fellas
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The AR 15s are the 1911s of the rifle world. Just like 1911's you can do just about any mods you want, if you can afford it. Each to their own, that's what makes most people happy. I bought a S&W 15 Sport, it's just going to be a range gun for me to play with. So I put a MOE stock, Timney 4lb trigger assembly, MOE pistol grip, a Vortex flash hider, and a Primary Arms M4 red dot sight on it. And that's all the mods that will be done on it. If it makes me happy why not.  I been shooting rifles for 51 years and know my abilities. So I don't buy anything thinking it will instantly make me a better marksman (but the Timney trigger sure makes it easier to shoot well). But the additions I made served a useful purpose, for me.  I agree that people need to shoot more before spending a load of money doing mods, but hey it's their money.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The AR 15s are the 1911s of the rifle world. Just like 1911's you can do just about any mods you want, if you can afford it. Each to their own, that's what makes most people happy. I bought a S&W 15 Sport, it's just going to be a range gun for me to play with. So I put a MOE stock, Timney 4lb trigger assembly, MOE pistol grip, a Vortex flash hider, and a Primary Arms M4 red dot sight on it. And that's all the mods that will be done on it. If it makes me happy why not.  I been shooting rifles for 51 years and know my abilities. So I don't buy anything thinking it will instantly make me a better marksman (but the Timney trigger sure makes it easier to shoot well). But the additions I made served a useful purpose, for me.  I agree that people need to shoot more before spending a load of money doing mods, but hey it's their money.

That's different. You have an intended purpose and know what you want. You set your rifle up accordingly.

What I'm talking about is the guys who ask "What should I buy next?" or "What else do I need on my rifle?" How the hell am I supposed to know?

I don't see why this thread doesn't belong here. Knowledge of the weapon system, how to use it, and shooting techniques is just as technical as a piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's different. You have an intended purpose and know what you want. You set your rifle up accordingly.

What I'm talking about is the guys who ask "What should I buy next?" or "What else do I need on my rifle?" How the hell am I supposed to know?

I don't see why this thread doesn't belong here. Knowledge of the weapon system, how to use it, and shooting techniques is just as technical as a piece of equipment.

The weight of what they should do next seems to be dragging you down.  Stop trying so hard to keep everyone else so happy, and spend more time making yourself happy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I stared off looking at pics here and I decided that I wanted a red dot,single point sling and carbine length rail... Now I have a 1-4 Vortex Viper,LMT sopmod stock, Houge grip,12" ff rail, Elzetta Zorm w/fenix tk12 r2 (will light up 100yd targets) Vtac 2 point sling, BCM mod 4 and a Rainier xtc comp, Now I am going to start some performance mods( bcd,buffer,fcg )
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Not GD but the more you shoot the more you understand what "YOU" need as opposed to what you simply "want". Even more so, shooting in unconventional positions will really let you know what does and does not work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm with you OP.

I especially hate the "build my rifle for me because I'm too lazy to read tacked threads or do a simple search" threads.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Ignore them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#13]
And it's obnoxious sibling "Pic request for..." and their illiterate cousin "Recommend me a...".
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I wholeheartedly agree.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#15]
You advise them to take a few classes and see what others have then it cost nothing to see what works..but just in general I would recomend to someone learn how to use iron sights...then a red dot,buis and a light with a good supply of mags and ammo should do it.But ultimately you can just avoid those threads and dont reply.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I see a problem that people see what others have on their rifles in the picture threads and want to emulate what they see.
Good or bad, it is what it is.

There was a time when everything was either a1, a2 or carbine. Now the possibilities are endless and people spend more on their accessories than ammo or training.

If that is what they want to do, then good for them... what can you really do about it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#17]
not an appropriate tech forum topic
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top