Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2011 5:50:23 AM EDT
Need some help with some questions I have. Been looking at buying a Spikes Lower to be used strickly with a CMMG .22 upper for my Rimfire Steel Challenge Matches.  My question is the lower I'm looking at said that it comes with an enhanced trigger group. Does this mean that this trigger is just as good as my Wilson Combat trigger that I already have in my other lower or is it closer to a factory trigger group? I was also told that Spikes lowers are madeby Stag Arms, Is this true or not, any impute will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#1]
This is true, spikes lowers are not made by spikes. Who though i am not sure. The spikes enhanced trigger group is probably referring to their NiB (nickle boron) coated trigger group. If so the coating is supposed to make cleaning easier and add for a smoother surface and cleaner trigger pull.

ETA: no, your wilson combat trigger is MUCH nicer
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Their lowers are not made by Stag Arms, if anything, their lowers may be made by the same companies that make Stag Lowers, I don't know who makes Stag, but ST lowers have been made by LAR, Aero Precision, and Kaiser Defense.  I cannot comment on the trigger, I've never used a Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Their lowers are not made by Stag Arms, if anything, their lowers may be made by the same companies that make Stag Lowers, I don't know who makes Stag, but ST lowers have been made by LAR, Aero Precision, and Kaiser Defense.  I cannot comment on the trigger, I've never used a Wilson Combat.

CMT makes Stag I believe
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMT makes Stag I believe

Stag is the commercial side of CMT, they're the same company.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank You all for the replies. This helps me out as far what to expect from Spikes lowers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
There aren't very many actual "makers" of AR lowers; while not a tiny list, it is certainly dwarfed by the number of "brand names" that sell lowers.

And the are two steps to the making process: the raw forging is made, and then it is machined to final dimensions.  As long as the forging comes from a reasonably well known forge, the quality of the lower is up to the machining firm.  Dimensional tolerances should be pretty good on a lower made by any reputable machining company, but ther can be differences that a purist might find acceptable or not, such as how the magazine well is made (cut versus broached).

From a "fit and finish" standpoint, I've been quite impressed by the Stag guns I've been able to handle, and I've never heard anything bad about Spike's receivers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top