Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2011 7:57:45 PM EDT
I'm about to start taking a rifle to work and i'd like to just build something new for a truck gun. I work in the middle of nowhere and police response can take up to 30 minutes. If something goes down i plan to just get the hell out but the main reason i'll have it is if something happens going to or coming from work. Most of the area on my route is open farm land but there is also some thick brush. I'm thinking something short like a noveske infidel or afghan or a bcm 14.5 lightweight. I've also thought about a recce rifle. As for optics, it'll either be an aimpoint m3, t1, or a 1-4x accupoint. I'm leaning toward the accupoint since longer shots are possible but i've used the m3 to 200 yards with no problems. Another option would be either a larue stealth or predatAR rifle. So many choices. Oh and the truck will be in a secure parking area so i'm not too worried about theft.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Palmetto state chromelined complete 14.5 M4 profile with phantom flash hider 5C1 upper $400
a good forged $100 lower LPK$60 telestock assembly $80 carry handle or BUIS $70 to $100 you can do it for $700 or midwest distributors has Colt 6520 lightweight barreled carbines for the same money standard A2 fixed handles something like than and like 10+1 on mags for 330 rounds you should ne GTG.
Vortex strkefires are a great deal for $150 and it has 2000 hours battery life on 1 CR2 battery.Aimpoint pro is pretty cheap from $360 to $400 just shop around.And from your Avatar id be carrying that 1911 on me just in case you have to fight your way to the truck to get the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
l would suggest a Trijicon of some sort because in the event of an emergency in such a confined area, you dont have time to spare turning an optic on.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
l would suggest a Trijicon of some sort because in the event of an emergency in such a confined area, you dont have time to spare turning an optic on.

I've had the red dot on my Aimpoint H-1 on continuously for over two years now. Aimpoint has done some magic with battery life!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Palmetto state chromelined complete 14.5 M4 profile with phantom flash hider 5C1 upper $400
a good forged $100 lower LPK$60 telestock assembly $80 carry handle or BUIS $70 to $100 you can do it for $700 or midwest distributors has Colt 6520 lightweight barreled carbines for the same money standard A2 fixed handles something like than and like 10+1 on mags for 330 rounds you should ne GTG.
Vortex strkefires are a great deal for $150 and it has 2000 hours battery life on 1 CR2 battery.Aimpoint pro is pretty cheap from $360 to $400 just shop around.And from your Avatar id be carrying that 1911 on me just in case you have to fight your way to the truck to get the rifle.

Can't carry on my person at work. I'd be breaking state and federal laws.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
When I think truck gun, I think something very simple, light, iron sights, and cheap as possible.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
With the BCM 14.5 lightweight and the PredatAR, my guess is lightweight is a priority. Lord knows you can't go wrong with the PredatAR, and there's a thread up in the New Products section where LaRue is blinding folks with science (tongue firmly in cheek here) with some kind of improved extraction on the PredatAR. It's also expensive as all get out.

You did also say that magic word (build) and the BCM gives you that. It also doesn't break the bank, and lets you set it up extactly how you want it.

Back to lightweight: the Aimpoint T1 is king here, and 50k hours of battery life? Yes, please. LaRue makes a great mount for them, too (LT751). Finish it off with some Magpul MBUS, and you'd be GTG.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I own 5 AR's  and I truly hate to say it, but I'm steering more towards my AK folder for my truck gun....  It  just makes the most sense because I do not care for it much, it's not NFA, and it is short when folded.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I own 5 AR's  and I truly hate to say it, but I'm steering more towards my AK folder for my truck gun....  It  just makes the most sense because I do not care for it much, it's not NFA, and it is short when folded.
http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss28/chadwick76/IMG_3194.jpg

I like my draco as its covered by CCW laws, doesnt need folding, and is non nfa. I know theres alot of draco hate, but for hiking and a truck gun its hard to beat that much firepower in that sized package.

I would go with an aimpoint. Ive got two Comp2s at two years continuous and an M4s at just under that.

Also, and I know this is a topic of frequent debate, do you want to spend 1200+ on just an upper for something that you could lose? Throw in 500+ for optics = lower and your looking at a steep hit if it goes missing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like my draco as its covered by CCW laws, doesnt need folding, and is non nfa. I know theres alot of draco hate, but for hiking and a truck gun its hard to beat that much firepower in that sized package.

I would go with an aimpoint. Ive got two Comp2s at two years continuous and an M4s at just under that.

Also, and I know this is a topic of frequent debate, do you want to spend 1200+ on just an upper for something that you could lose? Throw in 500+ for optics = lower and your looking at a steep hit if it goes missing.

Actually i won't take a hit. All my guns are covered for full replacement cost under my insurance. If it's lost, stolen, or damaged in any way, it's covered. My only worry about the aimpoint is distance, but it would make the overall package lighter.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I 100% agree with this man. I would be pissed if someone broke into my vehicle and stole my AR. You can get great deals on an AK.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#11]
At this point I'd get one of the Spikes Dissipators or even wait for the BCM model.  I doubt you'd go wrong either way.  Bouncing around in your truck or trunk you might end up breaking the optic and I'd rather have the rifle length sights of a Dissipator should that happen.  Good for you for ignoring the ever-ridiculous chest-grabbing cries of "what if it get's stolen!!!!!"
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Just put together a reliable M4-pattern gun.  That'll be your cheapest bet.  And come up with a way to secure the rifle so it doesn't bounce around at all.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree with an under folder or side folder AK.
Dave N
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I know you said build but how about one of these BMA1 and add a VTAC and a Trijicon ACOG?

Simple, light weight, on the cheap for the gun and if you can score a used acog cheap on that to. Minimal amount of tuning required on the gun itself when you get it. Just add a side sling swivel and an extractor kit I think you would be good.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#15]
It sounds like you want something for commuting between home and work.  For what you describe, I'd be carrying a handgun.  If any imminent danger presents itself that would prevent your escape to safety, it will likely be within or very near distances for which a handgun could be used.  Any AR, no matter how short would likely be to cumbersome to operate safely from within the cab of a truck anyway.  The other thing to consider is the legality of firing your rifle in public (farmland or otherwise) and what your state considers "reasonable" effort on your part to avoid firing your weapon unnecessarily.  So for example, is someone taking shots at you from a hillside at 500 yards away?  In that situation, a handgun would make a better paperweight, so a rifle would certainly be the right tool.  Whether the AR would be the right tool for precision shot placement at that distance is an argument for others to debate.  Personally I'd rather use a long barreled bolt action for 500+ yards, something like a Remington 700, but I digress.  So back to my example, let's say for sake of argument you exited your truck and began to return fire.  If police/sheriffs responded to shots fired, how would your actions be perceived when they roll up on the scene observing you taking aim and firing upon a long range target?  How would a court view your actions?  What if the target were closer, say 200 yards?  How far is reasonable?  What is the expectation for you to retreat and take safety versus taking a stand and returning fire?  Most states seem to have laws which expect you to escape and seek safety whenever possible and only firing if there is a clear and present danger and flight to safety is not possible.  Other states with castle doctrine laws say you don't have to retreat, you can stay and defend yourself when a life threatening situation occurs.  However, even then there is still an expectation that you avoid engaging a target that is too far away when retreat to safety is an option.  I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but just give you some things to consider.  It's certainly not for me to tell you how to defend yourself, but it's a pretty safe bet that anytime we must use a firearm to defend ourselves, our actions will be called in to question, even if we are justified in doing so.  Maybe the solution would be to use your 1911 as your primary weapon and the rifle as backup for when excrement hits the fan.  Or you could always go this route.

http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/milhr/FNM0046.jpg
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Yugo M70 parts kit, and once I have the receiver re-welded and get it built up, it will literally be my "truck" gun. I plan on making a small rack on the back wall of the truck for the rifle that will be hard to see from the outside (through the windows). It will be fixed stock, though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Consider terrain. A 30cal may be your best if its brushy.

Engaging at longer distances as previously stated, can present legal issues.

Then again you live in Texas. Is Stand-Your-Ground in effect? Personally, if I had to engage over 200 meters, I'm outta there first. I choose M4. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Consider terrain. A 30cal may be your best if its brushy.

Engaging at longer distances as previously stated, can present legal issues.

Then again you live in Texas. Is Stand-Your-Ground in effect? Personally, if I had to engage over 200 meters, I'm outta there first. I choose M4. Just my .02.

The rifle won't really be a primary most of the time. I just want to have it if i need it. If for some reason i have to walk the 20 miles back to civilization. I may never need it, but if i do i'll have it. We have a big problem with large groups of illegals in the area so that's another reason i'd feel safer to have a rifle along with a pistol. The only time i'll actually use it at far distances is if it's a last resort.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Whats wrong with a AR pistol, I am thinking of building one next and stashing it under my seat in my jeep J.I.C.!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whats wrong with a AR pistol, I am thinking of building one next and stashing it under my seat in my jeep J.I.C.!

There you go. No NFA, easy to maneuver and conceal. Good to 100 yards effectively. IMO. High cap rifle round.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's an option, but i've never been a fan of them. I could still put the buffer tube on my shoulder to fire it right?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd go with this PSA 16 inch SS kit for $499

I bought one of these uppers and it has been 100% reliable right out of the box, and is very accurate.

I have one more stripped PSA lower and may just buy one of these kits, just in case, I doubt they will ever be any cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I do. I'm 6 ft. It's a little short but doable. You can also use a stretch tight sling method. Single point sling is good.
If the round doesn't stop them, the flash and concussion will put the fear of God in them!
Dave N
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I do. I'm 6 ft. It's a little short but doable. You can also use a stretch tight sling method. Single point sling is good.
If the round doesn't stop them, the flasj and concussion will put the fear of God in them!
Dave N

That's the problem. I'm 4 inches taller than you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If the round doesn't stop them, the flasj and concussion will put the fear of God in them!
Dave N

That's the problem. I'm 4 inches taller than you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
the flasj and concussion will put the fear of God in them!
Dave N

That's the truth!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I had an AR pistol with a 7.5" barrel.  The flash and report was pretty stout until I put a Noveske KX3 on it.  I actually shot a few rounds with no ear pro.  While not just a pile of fun it wasn't too bad either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Another +1 for the AK. I have mine mounted verticaly behind the passenger seat in a cutom made mount that I can also lock it into. The way it is set up, you cant chamber a round, remove the magazine, or realy move the rifle at all.

ETA: yes I know my truck is dirty.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Another +1 for the AK. I have mine mounted verticaly behind the passenger seat in a cutom made mount that I can also lock it into. The way it is set up, you cant chamber a round, remove the magazine, or realy move the rifle at all.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy195/r1sniper14/S7300498.jpg

Do you have something covering the muzzle to prevent dust/etc from getting in it?   Nice setup.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

+1. I have this exact rifle in a Wilson Tennis Racket case with 3 extra mags in the pocket of the case. Very inconspicuous, and chances are if the car gets broken into it'll be left alone. (well hopefully anyways). Plus it doesn't look weird when you're transporting it for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'd go with this PSA 16 inch SS kit for $499

I bought one of these uppers and it has been 100% reliable right out of the box, and is very accurate.

I have one more stripped PSA lower and may just buy one of these kits, just in case, I doubt they will ever be any cheaper.

I might have to grab one of those, that's a great deal.

Thanks,
ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually i won't take a hit. All my guns are covered for full replacement cost under my insurance. If it's lost, stolen, or damaged in any way, it's covered. My only worry about the aimpoint is distance, but it would make the overall package lighter.

who cares if you take a hit on money. you should be worried about a firearm being stolen by a person who is going to use your firearm in unlawful ways. IMO you should not leave a gun in your vehicle unless you plan on locking it up extremely well while you are not in the vehicle. I would suggest a handgun which you can keep in your glove compartment or something while you are in the car, and then have a small safe that is attached to your vehicle in some way so that someone can't easily walk off with the safe.

idk where you all live but i know i wouldn't keep 2 quarters out in my truck for fear that someone would smash my window for them, not to mention a high powered rifle (even if out of view).
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I am considering doing something similar.  I have a basic 20inch bcm no optics just a carry handle that I plan on mounting behind the back seat of my truck, just so I always have that option.

I do like the ar pistol Idea though
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#34]
IMO a truck gun should be as simple and rugged as possible. the more crap you put on it, the more that can/will go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

i'm liking that...in a redneck fetish sorta way.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
IMO a truck gun should be as simple and rugged as possible. the more crap you put on it, the more that can/will go wrong.

+1
I was thinking about a BCM lightweight 16 midlength with original or Magpul furniture and a carry handle
with A2 front sight. Never been a fan of the lightweight barrels(like the gov't profile more), but it would be
perfect for a truck gun.

Edited to add for the AK addicts: My current trunk gun is a Romanian w/folder.

ARKAR

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who cares if you take a hit on money. you should be worried about a firearm being stolen by a person who is going to use your firearm in unlawful ways. IMO you should not leave a gun in your vehicle unless you plan on locking it up extremely well while you are not in the vehicle. I would suggest a handgun which you can keep in your glove compartment or something while you are in the car, and then have a small safe that is attached to your vehicle in some way so that someone can't easily walk off with the safe.

idk where you all live but i know i wouldn't keep 2 quarters out in my truck for fear that someone would smash my window for them, not to mention a high powered rifle (even if out of view).

The truck is parked in a parking lot with no public access and security personnel along with 24/7 camera monitoring. If someone steals it i'll know who it is. besides i can see the truck from my office. it won't be in my truck if i'm not on my way to or from work since when i'm not at work i carry a pistol, but since i can't carry legally at work my firearms will be locked inside. if i was worried about theft at work i wouldn't even think of bringing a firearm, but i'm not.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an option, but i've never been a fan of them. I could still put the buffer tube on my shoulder to fire it right?

My  "truck gun"   ––- it has a long Spike's pistol buffer tube and uses a carbine spring /buffer.   10.5"  (maybe its 11.5"  IDK) barrel.     It works darn well for from the shoulder ––––-  would probably work better with an Aimpoint,  but right now its as KISS as it gets  ––-   i do want to try one of those KX3 muzzle devices though ,  mine is long for a pistol admittedly but it is still wicked loud

A couple of velcro straps screwed to the back wall of the cab would keep it from wiggling around too much

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#39]
When you mentioned truck gun,  besides the big "pistol"  i just posted a pic of,  i just thought of my "Framken-retro" too––-  Colt "604" M-16 upper,  $400 from Gunbroker with FA bolt carrier  (yes its 1/12 twist,  which means you would have to think about projectile selection a bit).  

lower i put together using leftovers and cast offs from other builds , but its an A2 lower  ––––  It was an inexpensive build due to having the lower parts on hand ––-   but even if i had to duplicate it from the ground up, probably wouldn't be more than $650 or so

I shoot this one a ton with cheap XM193 ammo and it does very well.      I have wanted to get a Nodak retro M16 style lower receiver with the correct color and a cleaner set of furniture,  but i've really been shooting it too much to care

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#40]
what about a Kel-tec Sub 2000 with a 33 round glock magazine?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have something covering the muzzle to prevent dust/etc from getting in it?   Nice setup.

No, I dont actualy. Never even thought of that. I might have to try and figure something out for that. Thanks for the idea, and the compliment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'm liking that...in a redneck fetish sorta way.

I was kinda going for that.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top