Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2011 4:14:36 AM EDT
Hey Everyone,

When out and shot my new colt today. Fired 320 rounds of PMC X-TAC m885 5.56 ammo. The rifle ran very well and was very accurate right out of the box at about 50 yards. Afterwards the inside and bcg were very dirty.  I spent a long time cleaning it.  

Only a couple minor complications which I believe are magazine problems and one scope problem.

Goods:
1. Despite hot rounds, there were no jams and the rifle worked very well.
2. Good ejection of the brass.

Concerns and Questions:
1. I was using 2 factory 20 round mags and 3 pmag 30 rounders. I started with the factory mags and then went through the pmags without a hiccup. Now, here is the problem and maybe this is just because I am still a beginner.

After reloading the mags, I started with the pmag. I put the magazine in (with the bolt forward, not back). I then pulled the charging handle in attempt to charge the round... nothing. The bolt went back forward but did not take a round with it. I then noticed that although the pmag seemed all the way up, it wasnt locked in. And despite everything I tried, it wouldn't lock. I then pull back the charging handle while simultaneously pushing up on the pmag. It partially grabbed a round causing it to jam and ruining the round.

So I then reloaded the factory metal mags and put one in the mag well (with the bolt forward). I pulled the charging handle and it charged the round completely fine. So was something going on with the pmags? Was it something I did to the pmags? Or am I missing something here? Any help is greatly appreciated because it got really annoying dealing with this!

2. I was using the Eotech EXPS 2-0 on my rifle with the Primary Arms deluxe 3x magnifier. Absolutely beautiful setup and a great reticle..... UNTIL after about 60 or 70 rounds the Eotech just TURNS OFF. It wouldnt turn back on for about 30 seconds. THEN it happens a second time after about 150 rounds! After that nothing was wrong. But WHAT THE HELL? I am going to be giving Eotech a call tomorrow chewing them out. Have people heard of this happening? Unreliability really makes me uneasy and for $500, they better get it damn right.

Overall, shooting my rifle for the first time was a great experience despite the few encounters along the way. And any help with any of those problems is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#1]
i believe that it's possible to load 31 rounds in a pmag so that's probably what happened there

eotechs are known for that, something about the battery contacts.  i believe i've heard that you can pull out the battery spring some and fix it but don't take my word on that without searching on it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear the new eotechs still have problems

Colt 20rounders are still my favorite mag

You might try adjusting the mag catch thingy
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
My EOtechs settled down after I put new batteries in them.  I have 4 Colts of differrent ilks and they like both P-mag and issue mags.  But you do have to check the 5-6 you will use in a real situation. ALL 20 rounders work.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on your new Colt: it'll serve you well!

Can't say the same about that optic, though: a failure after 60 rounds? I would take it off and never, ever look back.

And yes, I've heard many, many other stories of eotech failures. Have you tried any of the Aimpoint offerings? They're at the same price point, have better battery life and don't suffer foolish problems.

If you decide to keep it, and if you can get eotech to make it right... just run a really, really good BUIS, and know how to use it!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry about the EoTech problem. I had the same thing happen to me with a p-mag and I number mine. That particular p-mag  was #1 i was going to toss it and get another until i saw 9 rounds left in a federal box. I loaded 31 rounds. I loaded 30 into that same mag and it worked. Hope you get the EoTech to work.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The issue you are experiencing is usually a sign of a low battery in your eotech.

My XPS does the same when the battery is low.

No need to worry about your eotech.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as the gun being extremely dirty, did you lube it up well? I find if I generally lube the rifle up generously it will not retain much carbon or dirt. Even after about 1400 rounds in an EAG Tactical Carbine 2 class, it wasn't extremely dirty. It definitely had some junk in it but I didn't even have to clean the lower. Just cleaned off the bolt carrier group (I did have to scrape carbon off the tail, not everyone does this but I do it cuz I'm anal ), scrubbed out the chamber, and did about 10 patches through the bore. Clean as I ever want it to be!

I was shooting PRVI Partisan M193, if that matters.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#8]
When inserting a mag - push to seat, pull to verify seat.  If the mag pulls out then it is not seated.  Always do this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The stocks eotech batteries blow. I sugget getting a new battery like the surefire ones. That should fix the eotech issues, i haent heard of many i any at all xps and exps with issues.

Alot here dont like eotech and blow their past issues out of proportion. At one point they had battery contact issues which they fixed for free to anyone who had the cheap faulty contacts.

If a new battery doesnt fix the issue call eotech
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The stocks eotech batteries blow. I sugget getting a new battery like the surefire ones. That should fix the eotech issues, i haent heard of many i any at all xps and exps with issues.

Alot here dont like eotech and blow their past issues out of proportion. At one point they had battery contact issues which they fixed for free to anyone who had the cheap faulty contacts.

It's not just here. LightFighter, TOS, and a lot of other places have many people saying there are problems with EOTechs. Yes, they are a good sight. I love the reticule. I have a 552 myself with no issues. But don't shrug aside the high failure rates reported by people like Pat Rogers.

I have zero issues with the one EOTech I own but I only use it on my fun range toy. I don't use it on my "go to" gun. That gun gets an Aimpoint. And that's coming from a guy who loves the EOTech reticule a helluva lot more.

I do recommend though, OP, that you replace the batteries like others have suggested. That could very well fix the problem. Always use high quality batteries.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not just here. LightFighter, TOS, and a lot of other places have many people saying there are problems with EOTechs. Yes, they are a good sight. I love the reticule. I have a 552 myself with no issues. But don't shrug aside the high failure rates reported by people like Pat Rogers.

I have zero issues with the one EOTech I own but I only use it on my fun range toy. I don't use it on my "go to" gun. That gun gets an Aimpoint. And that's coming from a guy who loves the EOTech reticule a helluva lot more.

I do recommend though, OP, that you replace the batteries like others have suggested. That could very well fix the problem. Always use high quality batteries.

They did have issues but that was from going to a cheaper company who made faulty contacts, when eotech found out the replaced them for free. Now the ncell models i dont even think about lol, those are just wrong all around

I use a xps2-0 on my go to gun and its held up fine through a carbine course
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone for all the responses!  I will definitely put a new battery in the Eotech and run 400 more rounds through the rifle and see how if holds up.  

As for the gun being dirty, I only really lubed the bcg and charging handle when I took it out of the box.  

And Krylancelo, I know exactly what you mean!  I sat down and spent about 1 1/2 hours making my rifle look absolutely flawless.   I am very particular with things that I will trust my life on so this of course takes extra attention!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i believe that it's possible to load 31 rounds in a pmag so that's probably what happened there

I can squeeze 31 in my Colt mags but idk about a Pmag

OP you know the BCG has to be locked back for the mag to lock right?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no it doesnt, its called a tactical reload.

Pmags are designed to hold 30 rounds and have enough space to easily be inserted on a closed bolt which usually means you can get 31 rounds in the Pmag.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no it doesnt, its called a tactical reload.

Pmags are designed to hold 30 rounds and have enough space to easily be inserted on a closed bolt which usually means you can get 31 rounds in the Pmag.

I haven't been able to fit 31 in a Pmag just sayin and I know what a tactical reload is i just wouldnt figure he would be out trying that if he's still a beginner
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey Everyone,

When out and shot my new colt today. Fired 320 rounds of PMC X-TAC m885 5.56 ammo. The rifle ran very well and was very accurate right out of the box at about 50 yards. Afterwards the inside and bcg were very dirty.  I spent a long time cleaning it.  

Only a couple minor complications which I believe are magazine problems and one scope problem.

Goods:

Concerns and Questions:
1. I was using 2 factory 20 round mags and 3 pmag 30 rounders. I started with the factory mags and then went through the pmags without a hiccup. Now, here is the problem and maybe this is just because I am still a beginner.

After reloading the mags, I started with the pmag. I put the magazine in (with the bolt forward, not back). I then pulled the charging handle in attempt to charge the round... nothing. The bolt went back forward but did not take a round with it. I then noticed that although the pmag seemed all the way up, it wasnt locked in. And despite everything I tried, it wouldn't lock. I then pull back the charging handle while simultaneously pushing up on the pmag. It partially grabbed a round causing it to jam and ruining the round.

So I then reloaded the factory metal mags and put one in the mag well (with the bolt forward). I pulled the charging handle and it charged the round completely fine. So was something going on with the pmags? Was it something I did to the pmags? Or am I missing something here? Any help is greatly appreciated because it got really annoying dealing with this!

2. I was using the Eotech EXPS 2-0 on my rifle with the Primary Arms deluxe 3x magnifier. Absolutely beautiful setup and a great reticle..... UNTIL after about 60 or 70 rounds the Eotech just TURNS OFF. It wouldnt turn back on for about 30 seconds. THEN it happens a second time after about 150 rounds! After that nothing was wrong. But WHAT THE HELL? I am going to be giving Eotech a call tomorrow chewing them out. Have people heard of this happening? Unreliability really makes me uneasy and for $500, they better get it damn right.

Overall, shooting my rifle for the first time was a great experience despite the few encounters along the way. And any help with any of those problems is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sounds like you had 31 rnds in the pmag. I've seen a couple people have this symptom/problem.

Hopefully it's a battery issue or L3 cs gets you squared away......
Unfortunately they do still have issues even with the new ones. I saw one fail two weeks ago even after the guy put in a new battery.

This is a good thread and also touches on the new eo's having issues......http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/543748_6_Days_of_Magpul___4000_rounds_of_steel_ammo____.html

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey Everyone,

Goods:

Concerns and Questions:

Thanks

When you go shooting next time, when loading your loaded PMAG in your carbine, most of us usually feel with our fingers that the top round in the mag is located at the right side, if the top round is at the left side of the mag, you either have 31 or only 29 rounds loaded.

Then like what the other member said, push the mag in good, then try to pull it out, if it don't pop out then the mag is properly seated.

Use your charging handle when all the way back and release it without riding it back in, then release your mag and feel the top round of the mag again, if it loaded one in the chamber, you should feel that the top round would be at the left side of the mag.

I had been doing that with my old original and new PMAGs since I started using them four years ago (same with my USGI mags), I never had a problem with them on my Colt 6721 and my newest SP6920 Sporter M4 carbine with around 500 rounds now without FTF.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Pat Rogers recommends 28 rounds in a 30 round magazine. It's easier to reload quickly on a closed bolt.

You can verify 28 rounds by pushing on the top round with your thumb. Push down until it stops. If you have 28 rounds, your thumbnail should be just about covered by the magazine feed lips. If you cannot push it down that far, it's got 30 and if you can push it down further, it's got less. This is a nice easy way to top off magazines in between drills or if you did a tac-reload and need to top off the mag that you put into your dump bag.

Remember that on a PMAG, if you have an even number of rounds the top round will be on the right of the mag if the mag is facing you with the bullets forward. If it has an odd number of rounds, the top round will be on the left of the mag.

I used to be skeptical of down-loading mags but I do it every time now. I'd rather have two less shots than have a harder time on a reload. And before anyone says it, yes I got to the gym and I'm not a sissy. I do, however, have a fucked up right wrist (and I use my right hand for mag loads) from a motorcycle accident. This could be a contributing factor to difficulty with 30 round loaded mags.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top